PDA

View Full Version : Truth about tires

mrfixxall
08-07-2008, 11:11 AM
You need to see this video!!!(Commercial is first...so please wait 30 seconds for the News.)

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

chappy
08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Very interesting vid. Shelf life for tires, I never thought about it, thanks Fix.

Craig S
08-07-2008, 10:28 PM
ONe of my neighbors posted that on our community blog. Several of the highway pics indicate 18 wheeler tires - which may be re-treads.

My money goes to low inflation and the resultant heat breaking a marginal (or not) tire down - there should be quite a reserve on most vehicles.

Chicken or the egg type of thing. Probably low pressure sensors (I don't even know how they work) are a stroke of genius.

zelatore
08-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Old tires aren't good? Whoda thunk?

I thought that was common knowledge. Ever wonder why you can pick up last year's race tires cheap even though they seem to have plenty of tread left?

Now the part about dealers selling 10+ year old tires....that I didn't expect. And I admit, I've never looked at the date code on tires when I purchased them. Heck, I just bought a new set of race tires a couple weeks ago...I wonder how old they are?

As for most of the failures on the highways, I'm with Craig. I think maintenance issues (pressure) are a far bigger risk than age.

But once again, our response isn’t to educate people, it’s to legislate new rules like making every car come with tire pressure monitors and stability control. That’s a much better option than teaching people how to check tires and actually drive!:smash: