PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter reolcation

brwn234
08-06-2008, 12:29 AM
At the beginning of the year I purchased a EMI exhaust system for my 7.4MPI Bravo I. The Exhaust is great. As with most exhaust kits I needed to relocate the oil filter from the factory position. The factory hose that runs from the oil cooler to the oil filter will no longer fit. It is hard line ends crimped to rubber hose. The kit came with some brass fittings with hose barbs. I dont like that idea so I wanted to use stainless braided hose. I have tried to 2 months and cant find the right fittings. The fitting on the oil cooler is an inverted flare fitting and is rediculously hard to find, if it even exist. I've about had it with trying to make this work. I know that alot of people here have upgaded exhaust. How have you run your oil cooler lines? I dont know what else to do.

mphatc
08-06-2008, 05:41 AM
Fittings for hydraulic hoses are ussually a standardized type, have you tried a commercial shop that repairs and makes hydraulic hoses?

I believe you'll need to find an adapter to go from the oil cooler to a SS hose fitting . . I use a alot of SS hose and fittings for race car construction, and your kind of fitment is always a challenge.

We prefer to use Aeroquip brand fittings for SS hose over the others brands, as we find them easier to assemble, and also easier to reuse if the need arises.

Good selections of Aeroquip can be found with Summit Racing and HRP World

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_cat_id=600&action=category

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+300069&D=300069

Is your oil cooler set up with a thermostat? If not this might be a great opportunity to add one in the loop.

Good luck!

Mario L.

gcarter
08-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Dittos on the Aeroquip stuff.
Most towns will have a dealer. Look under "hydraulics". The braided hose is kind of hard to cut.....I always bought the ends I wanted, like Mario said, there's a good selection. I would install the ends in the positions I wanted and mock up the hose assemblies w/air hose, probably the cheapest hose you can buy. I would then take the mocked up assemblies to the Aeroquip dealer and he would make up the SST braided hose assemblies for me.

Madcow
08-06-2008, 06:41 AM
You are not running the pressure needed to warrant braided hose in my opinion. I have always used push lock for oil hoses because it is cheaper, easier to use, and does not act as a "loose file" in my engine compartment. Just my $.02.

mrfixxall
08-06-2008, 09:04 AM
At the beginning of the year I purchased a EMI exhaust system for my 7.4MPI Bravo I. The Exhaust is great. As with most exhaust kits I needed to relocate the oil filter from the factory position. The factory hose that runs from the oil cooler to the oil filter will no longer fit. It is hard line ends crimped to rubber hose. The kit came with some brass fittings with hose barbs. I dont like that idea so I wanted to use stainless braided hose. I have tried to 2 months and cant find the right fittings. The fitting on the oil cooler is an inverted flare fitting and is rediculously hard to find, if it even exist. I've about had it with trying to make this work. I know that alot of people here have upgaded exhaust. How have you run your oil cooler lines? I dont know what else to do.

I have done and sold over a 100 sets of emi's and havnt run into that problem of extending the oil cooler lines.i agree the brack they supply for the oil filter housing is a little cheep but it works..BTW they did give you the oil filter housing bracker didnt they?

Got pics?:)

BigGrizzly
08-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I use all of them I prefer the Airquip, am not a fan of the Russel cutter type fittings. The Summit twist lock( push on type) work well and are relatively inexpensive and work fine. The hydraulic fittings are available at Northern and your local NAPA store.

brwn234
08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I purchased the relocation kit. It came with all the brackets I needed. I only had to make provisions for the drive oil, no big deal. They also give you two fittings and length of hose. One for the cooler and one for the filter. Each have hose barbs and are intended to cut the hose to length and use hose clamps. The whole problem started when the inverted flare fitting for the cooler was split when it was manufactured. So then I ended up here. The issue isnt that the factory needs to be extended, it is that the factory hose is too long and stiff being that it has hard line crimped ends. I've got a hydraulic line company down the road but last time they were like "duhhhh.....". Maybe I'll just call EMI, have them overnight me a replacement fitting and just use hose clamps.

Something tells me I'm making this harder than it should be.

mrfixxall
08-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I purchased the relocation kit. It came with all the brackets I needed. I only had to make provisions for the drive oil, no big deal. They also give you two fittings and length of hose. One for the cooler and one for the filter. Each have hose barbs and are intended to cut the hose to length and use hose clamps. The whole problem started when the inverted flare fitting for the cooler was split when it was manufactured. So then I ended up here. The issue isnt that the factory needs to be extended, it is that the factory hose is too long and stiff being that it has hard line crimped ends. I've got a hydraulic line company down the road but last time they were like "duhhhh.....". Maybe I'll just call EMI, have them overnight me a replacement fitting and just use hose clamps.

Something tells me I'm making this harder than it should be.

All you need to do is take the oil hoses off and go to your local aeroquiphttp://www.aeroquip.com/ and tell them how much longer you need them..