PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to the Big Boys!

yeller
08-05-2008, 02:55 AM
Last Real Texan, Hedgehog and 502stang. On this site, you guys don't get the recognition you deserve. If someone was putting 1/2 the HP into a Classic that you guys are doing, it'd be the hottest topic here. I'm a Classic owner and love the smallest to the biggest projects going on here.

Just wanted to say, that even as a Classic owner, I love what you're doing. Taking something to the next level....and then some!

I hate this phrase....but it fits....You Guys Rock! :worthy: :thewave: :beer: :canada:

chappy
08-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Last Real Texan, Hedgehog and 502stang. On this site, you guys don't get the recognition you deserve. If someone was putting 1/2 the HP into a Classic that you guys are doing, it'd be the hottest topic here.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51761

3600+ views, over 350 replies, and 24 pages of knowledge. I've really enjoyed following this and similar projects. But like some others, I don't have much experience with ZX's. I'm just speaking for myself, but my lack of recognition is actually quiet admiration.:thumbsup:

BUIZILLA
08-05-2008, 06:58 AM
i'm trying like hell to get up to Center Hill Lake early next week for some R&R, wanna meet up with these 2 speed demons.... may even make my way over and harass Todd for a day (he needs it)

kd5cue
08-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Last Real Texan, Hedgehog and 502stang. On this site, you guys don't get the recognition you deserve. If someone was putting 1/2 the HP into a Classic that you guys are doing, it'd be the hottest topic here. I'm a Classic owner and love the smallest to the biggest projects going on here.

Just wanted to say, that even as a Classic owner, I love what you're doing. Taking something to the next level....and then some!

I hate this phrase....but it fits....You Guys Rock! :worthy: :thewave: :beer: :canada:does big boys do there own work on boats or hire it out?:shocking:

The Hedgehog
08-05-2008, 08:03 AM
I hate this phrase....but it fits....You Guys Rock! :worthy: :thewave: :beer: :canada:

We appreciate what you say. We ZX owners do note the whole "If you aint got a center fill you aint cool" mentality of some. To us it is about as silly as the whole Chisolm era Classic vs current classic comment.

I think that a lot of it is driven by what Chappy says and the is simply most of the site members have classics. These days we are seeing an increase of ZX owners doing things and asking questions. rtgogo, kramsay and others are starting to do some cool things with ZX's. I appreciate that.

Keith, Tex and I have brought some interesting projects to the table. We began by levering off some things done and discussed by Shanghied and Tuvell in the past. They went to the next level by moving up to big twins. Tex and I have discussed that ourselves but wanted to keep going with the smaller boats. Keith popped on the scene and ran a whole new direction and that's a good thing too.

Overall we have a great time on this site. When it does get technical Griz, Buizilla, Fix and a host of others do offer up some good comments.

Thanks for the comments and I hope that other ZX owners out there come out and enjoy the fun.

The Hedgehog
08-05-2008, 08:16 AM
does big boys do there own work on boats or hire it out?:shocking:

We do both:wink:

Tex does pretty much everything on his boat minus some machine work. Ok, he does not have a machine shop in his building so he sucks. Oh yeah, he does not know how to program a MEFI yet. Maybe you can help him with that.

If you want to see a true unsung hero, look at Tex. He does serious homework, good work and his stuff works. I would go at high speeds in his boat any day.

Me, I know my limitations. I don't think it is a good idea to take a boat that is rigged and put together by a novice like myself and run at high speeds. Could I go get a crate engine, slap on a blower and get close? Oh yeah. But I can tell you that when you are driving a 6,500 lb single engine boat at speeds close to 100 mph it is much smarter to have it rigged by those that fool around with that sort of thing.

BUIZILLA
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
But I can tell you that when you are driving a 6,500 lb single engine boat at speeds close to 100 mph it is much smarter to have it rigged by those that fool around with that sort of thing. that has to be the most honest sentence ever written here.

roadtrip se
08-05-2008, 08:58 AM
No discrimination here whatsoever.

We love having them at AOTH. It is awesome watching more guys stepping into the larger platforms and making them run.

I have spent a ton of time on the phone talking with Trueser about different tricks to make the Scorpion boat do things better and faster. It has been nice to dust-off the old offshore knowledge and throw around ideas.

I admire anyone who can make these things sing. I think the centerfill guys are the minority, a very small minority. And most of the centerfill stuff is directed at us poor slobs with side fills on Classics any way!

penbroke
08-05-2008, 09:29 AM
The center fill thing was originally a jab at the 40th Anniversary 22C. They were doing a nostalgic/retro/old school look but left the steering on the right and the fuel fill on the side.

I had no idea anyone was offended by it or read anything more than a good natured jab at the newer classics from an era before they were known as classics.

I harbor no ill will towards any type of boat or boater and a great deal of respect for the acomplishments of many here. I have neither the time or money to play in that league and am content to tool around in my old boat.

Frank

Marlin275
08-05-2008, 10:09 AM
To us it is about as silly as the whole Chisolm era Classic vs current classic comment.
I think that a lot of it is driven by what Chappy says and the is simply most of the site members have classics.

Scot got rid of "classic" a long time ago.
Just, "The Donzi Registry" now.

The classic group split off and started a new site.

The Hedgehog
08-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Easy guys. I am not offended at all. I also have a classic.

I am mostly having fun with the difference. There are a few that display that attitude but for the most part everyone is cool with it.

By the way Todd, I think that you have one hell of a cool boat. I would be proud to own that any day. Center fill or not:pimp:

I really like this site, I do provide some support to the site and obviously love to post or I would not.

ITTLFLI
08-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Yep! Cheers to the Big Guys! It's fun following the progress!

:pimptwo::beer:

BigGrizzly
08-05-2008, 10:51 AM
OK in order to hijack this thread in a good fashion I will not help anyone who doesn't move his gas fill to the center of the boat so it can become a true Classic:tongue::lightning. JUST KIDDING. The point of the thread was to compliment the big engine boys. Even if some one does most of the work for you it is a feat upon itself. I have met Hedg and Tex, and neither is stupid and they both have total control of what is put in their respective boats, weather they do it themselves or not. Me I do most of my own work if I can. Even if I can do it and someone better offers I may let them. What usually dictates the who does the work is time and $. YES They have done a remarkable job. Like Chappy it is silent admiration. Just so everybody really knows, there is more then just slapping a big horsepower engine in a boat! I know this because I have been building high performance stuff for more years then i can almost remember.

yeller
08-05-2008, 11:05 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51761

3600+ views, over 350 replies, and 24 pages of knowledge. I've really enjoyed following this and similar projects. Most of the replies are by the same few people. I don't think I have a single response in that thread either though.

But like some others, I don't have much experience with ZX's. I'm just speaking for myself, but my lack of recognition is actually quiet admiration.I feel the same way. I certainly wasn't trying to slam this site or anyone here. I just wanted to let them know that even though I'm silent...I REALLY enjoy what they're doing.

chappy
08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Most of the replies are by the same few people. I don't think I have a single response in that thread either though.

I feel the same way. I certainly wasn't trying to slam this site or anyone here. I just wanted to let them know that even though I'm silent...I REALLY enjoy what they're doing.

I couldn't agree more.:)

Last Real Texan
08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
OK First off thanks for the kind words, I do what I do because I love the challenge and enjoy the work and turning my own wrenches. I wish I had some one I trust as much as myself to do the work but I really do not, oh well, I know my boat inside and out and am comfortable knowing if something breaks while I am out I can diagnose and most likely get home, a lot to be said for that. So again thanks for the kind words

Now for the classic versus whatever I am thinking of adding a center fill gas cap to the ZX, will that make it a classic, will I fit in? Because all of you know I am all about fitting in.

Boating is all about having fun on the water for me. I grew up in South fla. via Coastal texas and it is in my veins. It does not matter what you have as long as it floats and gets you from point A to point B, granted some get there faster than others but the end result is the same....a good time on the water.

The Hedgehog, 502 Stang and myself among many others on here do what we most likely because we don't know any better....:hangum:
Thanks and have a great time out there on the water....
Tex

Donziweasel
08-05-2008, 04:58 PM
You guys are great! Since I have SC aspirations of my own soon, I have really enjoyed reading the builds. Great job guys!

HH, you now have the best of both worlds, a killer classic and a big boy toy. Man, can I switch places with you for a day?

The Hedgehog
08-05-2008, 05:04 PM
You guys are great! Since I have SC aspirations of my own soon, I have really enjoyed reading the builds. Great job guys!
HH, you now have the best of both worlds, a killer classic and a big boy toy. Man, can I switch places with you for a day?

Thanks! You do need to join the SC club

What I don't have though is a house in JH. It takes a bunch of hp to overcome only 7-10 days of skiing a year for me.

Trueser
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking it's about time to honor the Z / ZX series boats at AOTH:smash::smash::smash::smash::smash:

Donziweasel
08-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I think 2 things,

1. You really need to ski Jackson Hole. If you ski, Jackson should be in your top 3 places to make some turns. Anytime you want to come out, my door is open. Bring last Real Texan with ya!

2. Since you like hp, you should try snowmobiling. 200 ponies + sled under 500#'s x 2 ft of fresh snow= snowmobile addiction. Got a sled for you and LRT. See, you can still have your hp in the winter and it is WAY less expensive.:nilly: SC aspirations were boat AND snowmobile:eek!:. Still love to ski and can rip with the best of them though.:)

Last Real Texan
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I think 2 things,
1. You really need to ski Jackson Hole. If you ski, Jackson should be in your top 3 places to make some turns. Anytime you want to come out, my door is open. Bring last Real Texan with ya!
2. Since you like hp, you should try snowmobiling. 200 ponies + sled under 500#'s x 2 ft of fresh snow= snowmobile addiction. Got a sled for you and LRT. See, you can still have your hp in the winter and it is WAY less expensive.:nilly: SC aspirations were boat AND snowmobile:eek!:. Still love to ski and can rip with the best of them though.:)
I'm in...................
Heck I'll even come for the spring run off.......

The sled thing sounds like a blast!

Tex

The Hedgehog
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I am in.

DickB
08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Well, you learn something new every day. I've been following this forum since taking ownership of my '99 C18 about 5 years ago, and I only learned today that to own a Classic I need a center-fill gas cap!

Last Real Texan
08-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Well, you learn something new every day. I've been following this forum since taking ownership of my '99 C18 about 5 years ago, and I only learned today that to own a Classic I need a center-fill gas cap!
Don't drink the Kool-Aide

SilverBack
08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Big Boy????? I don't think so ...at least for me....I am the new kid on the block!!!!!

With that being said..It really means a lot to hear such kind words...THANKS!!!

I will say that I am not really in the league with LRT and Hedge Hog. those guys really both have it together!!! I could never be like Tex. He does do his own work!!! That has to be very fulfilling! I just started running with the wrong crowd (Tex and Hedge Hog) and ended up here somehow!!

I started the thread on my boat thinking that most of the classic guys didn't really want to get involved with helping a Z guy out too much. I now know that is simply not true. We all really went beyond the normal limits of our hulls. we all have different hulls. My hull as far as I know is the only hull of it's kind. There are a lot of classic guys out there that love to talk about and follow high performance setups but just simply do no have a ZX and don't want to steer you wrong. It is like hedge hog was saying. You had better get it right when you are going this far beyond factory specs. I am sure that most people don't want to give bad info and it not work out or end up putting someone in danger.

I love this website and I know that I would not have the boat that I have today if it was not for the Donzi Registry.

Big Gizz, Buiz, MJW all have classics and are very familiar with doing high performance and doing it right. They have helped soooooo much. I would not be where I am without those guys. Buiz even sold me a great intake when I thought that my EFI was not going to work out. I still have it and probobly always will. I was very glad that I had a backup plan but I am hard headed and I wanted to make that Gorilla system work. It was a major pain and NOT the best option but in the end it is a great setup.

Blown Crew Cab has been a great help and wealth of information. that guy ROCKS!! It is so cool just hearing what he has done and his ideas. You need to get him to an event. There are several classic guys that have just sent a PM and givin me moral support and some have told me that they thought that I was just talking smack about going from a Ragazza to a hot rod ZX and they thought it was great that I was really doing it. Thanks all of you and thanks Scot for Donzi.net......Donzi.net rocks!!!!

SilverBack
08-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeller....It has been a long, long winter, spring and summer!!! Between Working in the oilfield (We are so busy we can not catch up) and not having my boat running and missing AOTH it has really been a huge downer!!! I am out on a drilling rig right now!! I had to ride out a tropical storm last night and have been out here on the water for 3 and half weeks now and don't know when I will get back to land!!! You have really lifted my spirits and givin me what we call in Mississippi and bad case of the (BIG HEAD)!! I don't know if my hard hat will fit now. :bonk:

Thanks for the kind words again!!

I hope noone reads that thread from start to finish at one time. They will be ready to have me commited!! Or at the very least put me a Lithium:shocking:

rtgogo
08-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Ya'll stop....I'm gettin all choked up over here....

All kidding aside..I haunted this site and harassed many of you for many many months before findin my baby girl. I owe a lot of you thanks for guidance and especially hedge for helpin me find my way through the dark. I was huntin a Classic when i started my search and will probabaly end up there, but when I saw my ZX...I just knew......she was the DONZI for me and I've really been enjoyin the jouney of makin her mine! The bar is pretty dam high here....:worthy:....but I have a lil competitiveness in my bones and .....well.....uh.....look forward to more discussions...Cheers!:beer:

Donziweasel
08-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Tex, the runoff was not as big as expected, but lasted FOREVER! We hit 24,000 cfs on the Snake, which is pretty big and it lasted until late July. Reason we didn't get above 30,000 was that Jackson Lake upstream was only 30% full at the beginning of the runoff and took forever to fill. Once it did and they started puking water out of the damn, the runoff was on the backside.

That being said, next spring could be real interesting. Jackson Lake is over 90% full (vs 35% at this time last year). It will stay over 80% till spring. It will fill early and then, HANG ON! Big agua, especially if we get a average or above average snow year. I was telling Bill that we have 30+ great class III to V creeks, streams and rivers within 45 miles of me.

Now, if you are guys are going to drive, one of you has to tow one of the big boats out here! I'll pay for some gas just to see one of them run!:nilly: