PDA

View Full Version : Prop question

fwi
08-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I've been advised to replace my Quicksilver 3 blade 21P cleaver prop with something more updated.
Boat is 1988 18C with stock 350/270HP.
Any suggestions? :confused:

cutwater
08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Do you realize what you've done?!?!

Just kidding... I'm sure someone will chime in with an opinion on this one :wink:.

SilverBack
08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
I LOVE prop threads!!!! Where is GRIZZ when you need him?????:propeller:

fwi
08-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I should have added that I am leaning towards the 4 blade Revolution.....

Carl C
08-04-2008, 01:32 PM
:popcorn:

blackhawk
08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I should have added that I am leaning towards the 4 blade Revolution.....

The Rev4 is a great prop. Carries the bow like a Mirage Plus with better handling and mid-range cruise.

BUIZILLA
08-04-2008, 07:46 PM
ask Lenny

mjw930
08-04-2008, 07:54 PM
If the 21P cleaver runs out to the proper RPM at WOT then a 21P Turbo 1 would probably work very well and it won't cost you much to boot.

IMHO playing around with 4 blades isn't worth the money on a basically stock boat unless you have someone with a few to try. If you do decide to play around with the Rev4 then you'll probably have to drop down to a 19P if the 21P Cleaver is the right prop for WOT RPM's.

BigGrizzly
08-04-2008, 07:58 PM
The rev 4 is a good prop the best Merc has to offer, However it may be a little slower, but it will work. The issue I see is it may not be what the doctor ordered on your boat. Almost anything is as good as the quick silver o n that boat. Most people run Mirage or turbo on Classics. I have my preferences. Let everyone else pick your prop is like letting everyone els pick a girl friend or wife for you. Most people who respond have a limited experience with prop testing. Most sellers only get third hand information. So pick your own poison. My suggestion is only use a 4 blade if a three blade won't. There are some boats that don't like 4 blades like my Criterion. Now get testing, use a GPS hand held type, speedometers and radar suck. If your tack doesn't work fix it first, this isn't a guessing game its multiple choice.:popcorn:

mjw930
08-04-2008, 08:07 PM
To Griz's point, there's not nearly enough information in your post to provide any educated answer to your question. My suggestion of a like pitched Turbo 1 is assuming you're happy with the WOT performance of the 21P Cleaver. My experience along with the collective wisdom on this board is the older Classics with stock power and X dimensions really like the Turbo 1 prop.

BTW, did the rocker scientist that suggested you buy a more "modern" prop have any constructive suggestions or was just there to tell you what's wrong with your stuff?

blackhawk
08-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I agree on not running a four-blade unless you "need" to. If your propshaft is deep enough a 3-blade will usually work fine. And I think Donzi runs a very conservative X so it probably is deep. On my Pantera 3 blades slip a lot more getting on plane and at cruise.

But I can tell you that the stock Rev 4 was just as fast as the stock Mirage+ and Turbo1 on my boat. Like I said a great prop, the best 4 blade I have ran by far. Been running mine for two seasons.

mrfixxall
08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
BTW, did the rocker scientist that suggested you buy a more "modern" prop have any constructive suggestions or was just there to tell you what's wrong with your stuff?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That would be me
Obviously you havnt driven a 18 with a cleaver on it..personally i think that cleaver prop makes the boat handle like $hit!:popcorn:Let the fun begin!!!

mjw930
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
BTW, did the rocker scientist that suggested you buy a more "modern" prop have any constructive suggestions or was just there to tell you what's wrong with your stuff?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That would be me
Obviously you havnt driven a 18 with a cleaver on it..personally i think that cleaver prop makes the boat handle like $hit!:popcorn:Let the fun begin!!!

So, what suggestion did you have?

If you had no suggestion then my statement stands.

Whether I've driven an 18 with a cleaver is irrelevant, simply stating a cleaver makes the boat handle like **** without a solution has absolutely no value.

Now, if you had said, "You need to try prop "xyz" instead of the Cleaver because I really liked the way prop "xyz" worked on my 18" then THAT would have been a constructive comment.

BUIZILLA
08-05-2008, 10:37 AM
my 18 with a labbed cleaver was probably the easiest handling and most predictable boat I have ever driven....

Donziweasel
08-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Wasn't the Beaver a Cleaver?:):):) Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver.

Staying out of this one, not from a lack of opinion, but a lack of knowledge.:hangum:

I will say, re-iterating a problem from someone asking for opinons while not providing a possible solution is counter-productive.

BigGrizzly
08-05-2008, 11:15 AM
All I can say and have always said is if it works for you use it. Once you have decided that you want something different then go for it but test the same day not months apart. I have no less then 15 different props of the correct pitch on my 22 and I have narrowed it down to 3 and I do have my favorite. Not everyone is as lucky as me. If I want to go boating I just pull a lever and turn a key. If I want to change a prop I turn a lever and push a button then swap the props and turn a lever again. Since I test props for companies I also have had a good access to stuff, also being the large stocking dealer doesn't hurt.

chappy
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a similar setup. Mine came with a 21 cleaver, after some testing, I settled on a 21 turbo. Griz walked me through it. Give him a call, he's a riot to talk to. Just remember, everyone's preferences are different when it comes to these boats and how they perform, choose the prop you like based on the performance you want, easy as that. Good luck.:)