PDA

View Full Version : Boating On The Prince William Sound

Carl C
08-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Just some pics. The first one is my nephew, bro-in-law and me next to the "Nautical Smile".

zelatore
08-04-2008, 10:33 AM
You're killin' me. One day I really need to get up there.

Is that a Sea Sport 30? Solid little boats; I've take a few in trade on our Albins.

I'm only mentioning it because it's a proper west-coast boat and all these east-coast guys on the board think center console boats are for fishing. West coast guys know better. :wink:

Carl C
08-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't know what kind of boat it was. Up there nearly every boat has an enclosed helm, a life raft and radar. The water was over 1,300' deep in spots barely 2 miles wide!! This was actually our warmest day this year at 69*F and sunny but by the time we got it running it was cooling off. The 22C would be a blast there if it were only a bit warmer but a full canopy go-fast would be off the charts fun in these waters.:smash:

Carl C
08-04-2008, 11:28 AM
..........you have to go through a 2 1/2 mile tunnel through a mountain to get to this port in Whittier. It is one lane and also shared with train tracks so you must wait in a staging area until it opens. The last pass is 11:00 pm. Miss that and you are spending the night in Whittier! The last pic is another short tunnel.

RedDog
08-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Are the pics at Whittier?

never mind - you posted the answer before I asked the question.

I made a short visit there.

Whittier was built during WWII as a refueling depot. It was believed that the Japanese would not know about it because of the way it was nestled down in the narrow channel surrounded by high mountains and fog.

All of the locals live in this or a similar former military barracks -

Carl C
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Are the pics at Whittier?

never mind - you posted the answer before I asked the question.

I made a short visit there.

Whittier was built during WWII as a refueling depot. It was believed that the Japanese would not know about it because of the way it was nestled down in the narrow channel surrounded by high mountains and fog.

All of the locals live in this or a similar former military barracks - Yes, that's the way I heard the story too. Also it was built primarily by women volunteers and there are now a few scattered houses in addition to the old barracks. The original barracks is now abandoned. Here are more pics. We caught 69 shrimp in the shrimp-pots. This ugly fish I caught was the only catch of the day but our fishing was cut very short because of the engine trouble. That's me with my nephew, Tim.