PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting 4.3lx

raa711
08-04-2008, 06:57 AM
I bought a 1996 classic 16 two Summers ago. Boat is in great shape and I love it. However, if it sits more than a week without being started, it's little witch to get running. It almost acts like fuel is running out of the carb while sitting. I contacted the pervious owner, but all he could offer was a long list of things he tried including running premium gas. Once it fires, it starts right up again without any coaxing. It looks like a Carter four barrel sitting on top of that intake, but I can't tell. I also believe the motor has an electric fuel pump. Anyone experience this problem?

mrfixxall
08-04-2008, 09:25 AM
I bought a 1996 classic 16 two Summers ago. Boat is in great shape and I love it. However, if it sits more than a week without being started, it's little witch to get running. It almost acts like fuel is running out of the carb while sitting. I contacted the pervious owner, but all he could offer was a long list of things he tried including running premium gas. Once it fires, it starts right up again without any coaxing. It looks like a Carter four barrel sitting on top of that intake, but I can't tell. I also believe the motor has an electric fuel pump. Anyone experience this problem?

*hit gas thease days!, alchol will evapotare the gas in the carb or your fuel system is leaking back,try cycling the key a few times,you may even have to bump the starter to get the fuel pump to cycle..I know theirs also a issue with that carberator,theirs little screens that get pluged in the needle and seats which could be restricting the gas flo :)

Newby
08-04-2008, 09:42 AM
I have the same boat and carb in a 1990 version. Just above the oil filter on the port side of the engine is an electric oil sending unit which stops the electric fuel pump if you lose oil pressure. The wire ends are female. Make a jumper wire (12 ga.) with two male ends. Pull the wires off of the oil sending switch and plug the jumper wire into each end. Do this before you attempt to start it next time. When you turn on the ignition key, you will hear your fuel pump run and fill the carb. Turn off the key, disconnect the jumper wire and push the wires back on the oil sending unit. Now try to start the boat cold. If it fires right away and runs normal, your carb is leaking/evaporating the fuel while it is sitting. See if this helps.

You could rebuild the carb, but it may continue to happen. I think mine evaporates because it sits for a week at a time in the sun with a cover on it. On my larger boat, I have connected a switch to the fuel pump so that I can prime the carb before I try to start it.

BigGrizzly
08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
If all the above doesn't work the ignition system has a glitch. Batman had this issue and changed it to a distributor and coil system and all was fine.

raa711
08-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks to all who replied. Does that mean with the key in the on position, I should be able to hear that electic fuel pump recycle. As it stands now, I can not hear it. Also, does that audible alarm with the key in the "on" position mean low oil pressure?And, is there a more performance oriented after-market carb i.e. Holley, that would work better than the stock carb without a manifold change. I was wondering if a Edelbrock Performer intake and Holley carb would be a worthwhile replacement, or just a waste of time and money. Thanks again!

mike o
08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
mine does the same thing sometimes if is sits for 2-3 days. But once it starts totally runs great. Mr. Mop helped me with the mecanical choke spring on a post on the same topic (like in june), that might help. Tuff on the starter........

mrfixxall
08-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Does that mean with the key in the on position, I should be able to hear that electic fuel pump recycle. As it stands now, I can not hear it. Also, does that audible alarm with the key in the "on" position mean low oil pressure?And, is there a more performance oriented after-market carb i.e. Holley, that would work better than the stock carb without a manifold change. I was wondering if a Edelbrock Performer intake and Holley carb would be a worthwhile replacement, or just a waste of time and money. Thanks again!

Intake manifold like a edl airgap would help a little but the carb would be a waste of money unless your trying to really dial it in..

Raise the hatch and have a buddy turn the ignition on and listen for the pump, if you havnt built the oil pressure up yey by cranking the engine over then the pump wont cycle because of the oil pressure safety switch..

As for the fuel pump to much plumbing involved,stick with the stock pump also make sure all the fuel lines are tight..

Newby
08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
When you jump the oil pressure switch, you will hear the pump run only when the ignition switch is in the "on" position. You probably will also hear the sound of the carb filling up. Good luck.

Newby
08-04-2008, 07:29 PM
The alarm is for low oil pressure because the motor is not running.