PDA

View Full Version : Finger Lakes NY specifically Senaca Lake

mphatc
08-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I'll be attending a BMW CCA's Octoberfest in late September in Watkin's Glen . . staying at the new inn at the south end of Lake Senaca . . and am thinking of bringing out my Donzi :) . . as my BMW race car is incomplete:garfield:

I know that the lakes are cold water, and this is the last week of September . . and the air might be chilly . .

Has anyone here boated on the Finger Lakes? .. . Looks like one can go from Watkin's Glen, north to Geneva and then through the NY canal to Cayuga Lake and south to Ithaca . . . must be a good 90 mile run . . during foliage season in wine country ..

Is there anyone here I can connect with??

Thoughts and experiences greatly appreciated!

Mario L.

zelatore
08-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I can't tell you much about that lake since I'm on the oposite coast, but I do want to know more about the race car....

I considered going to Octoberfest for about 15 seconds. Then I realized it was in NY.

(besides, the golden gate chapter runs more track days than any club I've ever known! Sears, Laguna, Thunder Hill, + Reno-Fenley, Willow, etc)

mphatc
08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
E30 M3 2.5 S14
CR 5 speed
DTM replica . . in concept .
Lots of weight loss at 2100 lbs . . but still in build state and won't be completed till next summer . My Corsican took priority . .

The M3 will be an open track car, I won't allow myself to go racing competitively!! My competitive nature would make me go broke!

Golden Gate Chapter, you must know Tammi, Bill, maybe Marco?

Mario

zelatore
08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice choice. The E30 M3 has to be the best option for a budget track toy in the BMW stable.

And I can only dream of 2100 lbs!

I don't know a lot of people in the club. I only joined this year and I've done three events, all track days. They were a bit click-ish at first, but they're opening up. (not like I'm Mr. Personality either) It's a lot different than the Alfa club people I used to run around with in the mid-west. Those guys weren't putting $50-$100K cars on the track like these people do!

For myself, I'm just running our driver E90 335i. Tons of power, but it's also heavy and pushes the front like mad. I'm running Thunder Hill next week with new 245/40/18 G-force R1's at all four corners and some new Hawk pads at the front - we'll see how it holds up in the expected 100 degree heat (helllllo oil temp gauge!)

I actually bought my 22 somewhat as a fluke. I had been saving up some cash to build a track car when I started looking at redoing the interior of my 18' bow rider and ended up just replacing it with the Donzi. And now it's continuing to keep me from building up a track car kitty. After all, a stock Donzi just won't do when there are things like prochargers, headers, and mechanical indicators just begging to be installed :wink:

raa711
08-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Because of it's depth, Seneca is one of the coldest of the Finger Lakes. Boating in September is one of the best times in the region because most of the Summer traffic is gone. Lots of great wineries, too!