PDA

View Full Version : New 18 2+3 Owner

ajochum
08-02-2008, 01:48 PM
New to the forum. Just purchased a 1982 2+3 with everything all-original, complete with the 350 Chevy. Has only 388 hours, having been owned by and older couple and maintained flawlessly.

We almost didn't buy it, as I sat in it and realized no windshield - figured my wife would go nuts with her hair blowing in the wind. Our maiden voyage sure eliminated that worry. She loves it!

It is white with maroon and almost showroom new. We cruised at 35 all evening, and then I opened it up a bit and showed 52 mph with a lot more where that came from.

This is a dream come true. Sort of like riding an amusiment ride at 50 mph.

Anyone have any listing of production numbers, or perhaps a thread as to where they are?

Thanks,

AJ

Donzi Vol
08-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the board, AJ. And welcome to the wonderful world of Donzi's. It's always nice to hear a "first time" story from a new owner! You'll get plenty of good stories and any help that you may need from the guys on here. And oh yeah, let us know when you open it up all the way...hehe.

fwi
08-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. I just purchased my first 18C a week ago.:biggrin.:

ajochum
08-02-2008, 04:26 PM
That was one of my questions - is the Classic the same boat as the 2+3, or perhaps is the series the Classic and it includes 2+3, Sweet 16, etc.?

onesubdrvr
08-02-2008, 04:51 PM
That was one of my questions - is the Classic the same boat as the 2+3, or perhaps is the series the Classic and it includes 2+3, Sweet 16, etc.?
In short, yes - it's a series of boats,... includes a bunch of different models.

Wayne

Donziweasel
08-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Onesubdrvr is right, a bunch of boats. First one was the 16 on 1964. 18 soon followed called the 2+3. Then 22 much later. These 3 sizes are considered the "Classics". Other Donzi's, like GT-21, Hornets, Corsicans, etc...are classic Donzi's, but not really labeled as a model "classic"

Of course, there is the "baby" which is a 16 outboard, then you have the X-18, LE's, Testarossas, Blackhawks, L seating 16's, 30th Anniversaries, 40th anniversaries, different Donzi owners boats like OMC, and a bunch more. There are other variations.

ky-donzi
08-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Welcome

You have bought a great boat, you will be amazed how many people will "eye" your boat, and ask questions about Donzi's,,,, and mispronounce the name Donzi..... haha

As far as production numbers, it is my understanding that this is a great mystery... I asked the same question when I bought my 98' classic last year. Most I have talk to tend to agree that there is about 20-40 produced yearly depending on the year. Do a search on this forum and find out how to deterime yours by the vin number. Mine happens to be #1 for 98' and i lucked up and found a 98' sales broshure that had a pic of my boat in it

Formula Jr
08-03-2008, 01:12 AM
They are all good boats, but the "Classic" era ended when Donzi left the Chisholms.

You have one of those very rare boats.

BigGrizzly
08-03-2008, 08:54 AM
I will step up with WELCOME. I will start off with In my opinion, and I have owned Donzis since 1966, that the Classics era never ended. Yes there are other types of styles out there, That is the way it has always been. Not everybody's needs dictate a Classic, some need a cabin etc. So far Everyone wants a classic TOO. Space and Dollars dictate this. Most people say "A Classic is the way a sport boat is suppose to look".:convertib::yes: However JR is entitled to his own subjective opinion, as I am entitled to mine. The most important feature in this thread is that your WIFE likes the boat, so I welcome her too.

BUIZILLA
08-03-2008, 09:31 AM
They are all good boats, but the "Classic" era ended when Donzi left the Chisholms. You have one of those very rare boats. I strongly disagree with that... the *Classics* are still made today... so the era is still as strong as ever.

Sweet little 16
08-03-2008, 09:58 AM
the only authority that has a definition of Donzi "classic" would be the lake george donzi classic club as they have criteria for attendance at their spring event it is classics only I hear they are really fanatical about it as they administer a test for the attendees :eek!::smash:. ;) then at their fall event it is all donzi contact them for a real definition as the ones given here are close but not quite right. I think if I can find it they printed it in a club newsletter
the model name "classic" really doesn't apply to anything produced by donzi until 1985 or so when donzi enetered the over 28 foot arena
welcome you're going to love that boat, I married a knucklehead that had to have a Donzi classic well I grew to love the boat as well , then he sold it now we are looking for a new boat something just like yours

RedDog
08-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I strongly disagree with that... the *Classics* are still made today... so the era is still as strong as ever.

ditto

The Hedgehog
08-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I am in with Griz, Buiz and the rest. I have a X-18 which is definitely a Classic. My father has a 1990 Sweet 16. I consider it to be a Classic. I would own any of them.

ajochum
08-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the great responses and encouragement. I really must tell you a bit more on the purchase.

I had been going back and forth on buying vs. not buying, finances, etc. Finally made an offer and he accepted. Showed to my wife and she loved it. After she left is when I sat in it and came to conclusion she would not like the wind hitting her, so on Saturday morning of last week, I called and said no, sorry. He said - that's OK, really, I got an offer last night of $500 over what you gave me, from a buyer that I know really did exist, from previous discussions. Hung up, told my wife; realized I had made a big mistake. My wife hurridly called him and we ate crow over the phone. Anyway, he sold it to me for my price.

I now realize what a boat I really have. Think about it, I also own a 1954 Ford Convertible, of which 37,000 were made and it is considered "rare" - probably because so many were trashed. That still leaves say, a 1000 or so - rare! Now, we all own boats in which only perhaps 42 were made in a single year! That's rare to me. I seems that in the long run we all have true collector items.

By the way, I am not going to install a windshield. I know what controversy that stirs up!!!

Hope I can figure out how to put a 24' trailer into a 23' garage..........

BigGrizzly
08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
AJ, let me put it this way in simple terms, YOU are now in an Elite group of Donzi aficionados. There is something that is called the Donzi mystique that non Donzi people wonder about with envy. It is obvious from your post that you are part of it, so enjoy and come to an event. You will be surprised who and what kind of people you will meet. Enjoy your new love.

zelatore
08-03-2008, 02:30 PM
...come to an event. You will be surprised who and what kind of people you will meet.

What kind of people indeed. We've got quite the menagerie. Why, just in this thread we have a couple different types of dog, a bear, a hedgehog, a weasel, and something called a Buizilla...I think that's what happens after Godzilla mates with a Buick.

As for what’s a classic – I think it’s all about the style. If it looks ‘classic’ or ‘vintage’ it’s probably a classic whether or not it was badged as a Classic.

Donziweasel
08-03-2008, 03:17 PM
"I think that's what happens after Godzilla mates with a Buick."

Love it!:smash:

The Hedgehog
08-03-2008, 06:08 PM
"I think that's what happens after Godzilla mates with a Buick."
Love it!:smash:

I think that he actually created some sort of a 850+ Monster Grand National or something like that. I would not mind hearing that story again.

ajochum
08-04-2008, 07:02 AM
MadPoodle asked what the HIN number was. It is DNR187390682. I know the 82 on the end means 1982, and the first three means Donzi, but I dont' know how to interpret the 187390. Any ideas?

Formula Jr
08-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I get a lot of flack about the "Classic" Moniker. However, in my way of thinking, I think I'm on solid ground.

There are only 1,200 or so Pre-Corp. Donzi's ever made: Total.

And there is a limit of 23 or so models that were produced under this era, which
Include Cuddy Cabin types.

It is a meaningful categorization and parsimonious use of language to say "Classic" applies to only these 1,200 boats built before leaving the Chisholms.

If not, then they are all "classics" and the word has lost its impact and meaningful use.

Then, there are Classic Regazzas, Classic St. Tropaz IIs, etc..... all Donzis are " Instant Classics."

"Holdings" still makes the 22, 16 and 18; but they don't make the X-18, or the Hornets, or the F-22/Criterion series...

And if you put a full restored 65, 18 2+3 next to a 2008 18 2+3, are they really the same boat? Do both, equally earn the title "Classic."

What criterion, to all those that think they are All Classics, would make a Classic, not a classic?

What is your inclusionary/exclusionary rule?

Ajochum, by any definition, you have an extremely rare and Classic Boat.

The Hedgehog
08-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Attention all Donzi owners!!!

If you own a post Chisolm classic you must now change the name of your boat. You really don't count anymore. You should probably subscribe to another site.:doh: The following is a list of sites that you can use instead:

Hotboat.com
Offshoreonly.com
Boatfreaks.org

Forget that your boat was done in the same mold that they have used for many years. You have new glass and new hardware so you are not a classic.

I hope that nobody takes my post too seriously. I would agree that a fully restored 1965 packs its own charisma is is undeniably cool. I have also seen some newer hulls that are pretty darn cool.

zelatore
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
... then they are all "classics" and the word has lost its impact and meaningful use.
Then, there are Classic Regazzas, Classic St. Tropaz IIs, etc..... all Donzis are " Instant Classics." ... And if you put a full restored 65, 18 2+3 next to a 2008 18 2+3, are they really the same boat? Do both, equally earn the title "Classic."
What criterion, to all those that think they are All Classics, would make a Classic, not a classic?

Well, I'm not being scientific about it or anything, but if it "looks the part", then I'm OK with calling it a part of the classic family. I'm not using the word in the same manner as say 'vintage' here, but instead saying it looks like it belongs to the same family of boats.

I think anybody can see the resemblance between a vintage 16, a Hornet, a new 22, a Criterion, an X18, etc. All of them fall into the same family, at least in my mind. They are not "modern" designs and all share a common fundimental look. A ZX, ZF, ZC, Reggazza, etc clearly fall into a different catagory.

Personally, I'm not that picky about it. So while the early models didn't use the word Classic in the name and the new ones do, I think it's pretty easy to see the family resemblance. So while not all of them are (capital C) Classics, all of them are (lower case C) classic designs.

All this discussion is pointless. What we really need to know is what sort of prop do you recomend for my Classic, and how many mph will I gain if I use speed wax?

BUIZILLA
08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I get a lot of flack about the "Classic" Moniker. However, in my way of thinking, I think I'm on solid ground. so did George Orwell...

zelatore
08-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Hull # 739, built 6-82. To the best of my knowledge. the first 18 hull built in 82 was 725, last one was 745, so yours would be (approximately) one of 20 18 Classics built in calender year 1982.

Thus spoke the All-Knowing Fred. And it was so.

chappy
08-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Thus spoke the All-Knowing Fred. And it was so.
:rofl:

BigGrizzly
08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Here we go with the rhetoric again. If he can impresses us with intelligence he will try to baffle us with the BS. Since my Criterion was built by the Chisolm's it there for is a classic on two scales. 1) because John made it and 2) because of it rarity. Since mine is called a CRITERION There for if it doesn't look like like mine it can not possibly be a classic:smash::shocking::nilly: Lucky for me.:smash:

Donziweasel
08-04-2008, 08:16 PM
There are Classic Donzi's (older stylish designs like Hornet, GT-21, Critter) and Donzi Classics (16,18 and 22).

I do think that if you take a restored 18 and put it next to a new 18 like Formula said, they are and are not the same boat. Biggest difference-probably price tag!:smash: I love a well restored boat, but also like a showroom new one with modern technology and reliability. To me, they are both Donzi Classics!:wink: Oh well, one more debate that will never probably be settled. We can file that with displacement, propping, drives, engines and about 100 other subjects that we can not agree on.:wink:

zelatore
08-04-2008, 08:40 PM
There are Classic Donzi's (older stylish designs like Hornet, GT-21, Critter) and Donzi Classics (16,18 and 22).

:yes:

Sweet little 16
08-04-2008, 08:58 PM
I get a lot of flack about the "Classic" Moniker. However, in my way of thinking, I think I'm on solid ground.
And there is a limit of 23 or so models that were produced under this era, which
It is a meaningful categorization and parsimonious use of language to say "Classic" applies to only these 1,200 boats built before leaving the Chisholms.
If not, then they are all "classics" and the word has lost its impact and meaningful use.
Then, there are Classic Regazzas, Classic St. Tropaz IIs, etc..... all Donzis are " Instant Classics."
"Holdings" still makes the 22, 16 and 18; but they don't make the X-18, or the Hornets, or the F-22/Criterion series...
And if you put a full restored 65, 18 2+3 next to a 2008 18 2+3, are they really the same boat? Do both, equally earn the title "Classic."
the ground you stand on is shakey as if the chisholm era is the benchmark by the end of their era more than 1400 16( BTW the chisholm era pulled the plug on the 16 production) and 18 were produced not to mention the 56 corsicans
the 169 ob 16
the 171 x 18
the 47 14's in both versions
the 316 hornets in all versions
the 134 gt
the 87 22 and 23 7 meters
the 96 24 foot hulls
and the 70 28 foot hulls
and the 100 or so 22 classic f and critter hulls = some 2590 hulls
before they sold to mr staples in 85 which i guess by your thinking is corp donzi even though it was privately held until omc took the reigns in 88
i am still looking for the definition from the lake george club as they have used their criteria since 1995 on this and i think they have a more thought out definition then just drawing a line in some timeline of corp ownership

Sweet little 16
08-04-2008, 09:04 PM
the ground you stand on is shakey as if the chisholm era is the benchmark by the end of their era more than 1400 16( BTW the chisholm era pulled the plug on the 16 production) and 18 were produced not to mention the 56 corsicans
the 169 ob 16
the 171 x 18
the 47 14's in both versions
the 316 hornets in all versions
the 134 gt
the 87 22 and 23 7 meters
the 96 24 foot hulls
and the 70 28 foot hulls
and the 100 or so 22 classic f and critter hulls = some 2590 hulls
before they sold to mr staples in 85 which i guess by your thinking is corp donzi even though it was privately held until omc took the reigns in 88
i am still looking for the definition from the lake george club as they have used their criteria since 1995 on this and i think they have a more thought out definition then just drawing a line in some timeline of corp ownership

ajochum
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Lordy, Lordy Fred Sanford, God's gonna strike you dead for lying about such a thing. Do you mean to tell that man that Donzi made jest 20 of those pretty boats in '82 and 'spect him to believe it? You gonna rot in the fires of hell fo telling those lies!

Formula Jr
08-04-2008, 10:00 PM
If what I say is shaky, then why don't you just give us the true information.
I've some what tired to pull out of people what they know. You seem to know.

Lay it out. if you know. All of it.....

fwi
08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but how do I interpret my HIN # sequence?

zelatore
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but how do I interpret my HIN # sequence?

I'm sorry, but if you want actual technical information you'll have to ask somewhere else. We're busy with deep thoughts debating the big topics of the day here. We've no time for such trivial things as decoding a HIN...

But generically speaking, it goes something like this-

the first 3 letters are the coast-gaurd assigned boat manufacturer designation

the next 5 numbers are the model and serial number of the individual boat (I think it's the first 2 are model, the next 3 serial number, but I don't know if Donzi follows this)

The next letter (A thru L) corresponds to Jan-December for month of production

The next number is the last digit of the calendar year of production

The last 2 numbers are the model year of production

I don't have a Donzi HIN handy, but here's a Carver # broken down:

CDRM7076H506
CDR - Carver
M7 - 56 Voyager
076 - 76th unit
H - built in August
5 - built in 2005
06 - 2006 model year

Should hold true for any boat in the US if I'm not mistaken as the Coasties set this code up, but I don't know in what year it went into use. Older boats may not have a HIN.

I'm sure somebody on the board can decode the model designators for you too.

BigGrizzly
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Actually Jr. For the past 9+ years you have been given the information. I have been around the Donzi thing and have been to the factories from 1965 to the current location and you are the only one who has ever come up with that classic distinction. I seem to remember an early add with a yellow and black boat being called a Classic. Remember we still have our 16 that we got in 1966 and it is un-restored and still looks to be a year or two old, as far as our family is concerned it is and will always be a Classic. The real truth is that my Criterion or my Corsican are not true Classics in the Donzi words but classics in the fact they are very limited production. I went through both their histories and adds and there is no mention of Classics except the statement " in the classic tradition". So I don't want to confuse you with the facts because your mind is made up.:smash:
AJ, just love your boat. If you have any problems come here before you go to a dealer or fix anything, If someone on this board doesn't have the answer than the problem doesn't exist. There are some really talented and dedicated people on this board and they love to help, sometimes to save you money and sometimes to help you spend your $. So again welcome to the place that is dedicated DONZI.