PDA

View Full Version : Slip-in mufflers?

superhatz
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I got busted for noise in my Magnum....:(

I want to retain the stock look and was wondering what you guys think would be the best?....they're 4 inch with the rubber flaps.

:)

VetteLT193
08-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I got busted for noise in my Magnum....:(
I want to retain the stock look and was wondering what you guys think would be the best?....they're 4 inch with the rubber flaps.
:)

How much did you fail by? Eddie marine makes a set, cheapest I've found @ $80 for a pair with 12db reduction.

I think Rex has a set too, they look like eddie marine's to me.

Are your engines pretty much stock?

The Hedgehog
08-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Heck, I have a brand new pair of slip ins laying around. For 4 inch tips

gcarter
08-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Probably because it's twins. There's just a greater quantity of noise. You may have to do more to qieten them.

superhatz
08-01-2008, 04:03 PM
He said it was 101db.....they're stock Merc 320EFIs.....I have to get it to 87db.

gcarter
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
14 dB is a lot.
There're clip on external mufflers you could use w/slip in at the same time.

BUIZILLA
08-01-2008, 04:18 PM
101 with wet exhaust can't be right....

did he stick the wand up inside the pipe?? :smash:

zelatore
08-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh, I'm sure he stuck something up something.

The cops are always sticking assorted appendages where they shouldn't. I'll let you decide what and where based on your own imagination.

superhatz
08-01-2008, 04:37 PM
101 with wet exhaust can't be right....
did he stick the wand up inside the pipe?? :smash:

I was wondering the same thing?......I just don't argue with cops....doesn't seen to work.

BigGrizzly
08-01-2008, 05:38 PM
My blown 502 with silent choice opened isn't neat that and my Corsican with the 4 inch open until the back isn't that loud. My 750ccrace bike with a 4 into one is 104. It must have been a full moon that day and you were wearing red oh wait these are bears not bulls, They were just sling the bull.

The Hedgehog
08-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh, I'm sure he stuck something up something.
The cops are always sticking assorted appendages where they shouldn't. I'll let you decide what and where based on your own imagination.

:rofl: That's prettty good. I am also trying to figure out how they came up with that number.

VetteLT193
08-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I was wondering the same thing?......I just don't argue with cops....doesn't seen to work.

The cop must have not learned how to use the meter. Might be worth fighting.

zelatore
08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm thinking of getting a set of the donkey dongs to bolt on mine when I take them north..

How effective are these sort of things? At Laguna Seca, they have super-strict sound rules. Bad enough that many street cars won't pass. And the sound weeny knows all the tricks (lifting where he's working, funky extensions to point the exhuaust the other way, etc) and just moves to a different point to measure you. I've seen guys kicked out for cars that you wouldn't have given a second thought to anywhere else.

Do the water cops have the same sort of tricks? Not sure what the tricks would be but you can bet that if boaters have come up with a work-around, the fuzz is working on a way to counter-act it. After all, gotta pay for all those fancy sound meters somehow.

yeller
08-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Do as Madpoodle says. Get a copy of the state law. There are strict guidelines that need to be followed when testing. Deviating from them can result in extremely inaccurate results.

superhatz
08-02-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm thinking that even if the reading was way off...I'm probably over the 87db limit.....right?

So...I'll just get some of those Eddie Marine slip-ins and call it a day. I just hope it still sounds cool.....

zelatore
08-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Directs the exhaust underwater when the boat is off plane, sounds like a large bong.. :yes: :yes::tongue:

Now just because I near San Francisco you shouldn't assume I know what a large bong sounds like :lookaroun:

BUIZILLA
08-02-2008, 05:56 PM
it's the inhale after the long exhale that'll get ya

now, where were we,

here hold this will ya....

cough cough choke

Choprpilot
08-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I have a set Of Merc cast alum mufflers available with rubber hose and clamps, If your interested.

Barry Eller
08-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Directs the exhaust underwater when the boat is off plane, sounds like a large bong.. :yes: :yes::tongue:

What is a bong?:drinkbeer::wink:

Donziweasel
08-03-2008, 07:14 AM
bong2 /bɒŋ, bɔŋ/- noun- a type of hookah or water pipe for smoking marijuana or other drugs

Now pass that over here Buiz.:nilly:

cough cough choke

Donziweasel
08-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Back to the thread- I ran "straight piped" last year with just Livorsi tips and no mufflers. I was no where NEAR 101. Either the cop didn't know how to test, the tester wasn't calibrated or it was broken. Went to slip ins because I didn't like the tone, too high. The slips did quiet it down though and I can remove then in less than a minute.

superhatz
08-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Well.....I installed some slip-ins.......it's pretty quiet.....doesn't sound as cool but I don't think I'll get bothered again.

Oh well.