PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy it?

jg480
08-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I possibly have the opportunity to purchass a 67 16' ski sporter for about $1500.00. The deck, ****pit, and engine hatch coring is shot. The transom sounds wet around the drive cut-out. The gel coat I think is beyond repair. No interior. Based on the condition of the boat I'm sure the motor an drive are junk. Basically total resto. On the plus side all the hardware is there and the trailer should make it home since the boat is only about 5 miles away from home. I have replaced coring and transoms before so I'm not worried about that. I have a spare alpha drive and possibly transom. What do you think? Should I buy it?

onesubdrvr
08-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Well, if you can do all the work yourself, why not?

If it's in that bad of shape though, I'd have to think twice, or offer 'em less or something.

You've got an Alpha drive, good for the 16, if you have to re-do the transom, why not go alpha

If you've got the space and time, I'd say go for it, if you don't have the time, money, space or inclination, I'd say pass.

Do you have a boat now? That would dictate a lot for me too.

I don't have another boat, almost no time, and very little budget (until I finish school), so if it were me, and if this boat is like one I've seen recently (almost a lost cause), I'd probably only offer them 1/2 of what they were asking, and walk away from it if it was a no-go, there is lots of 16's out there in better shape I'm sure.

Then there is the argument about the older classics, and bringing it back to stock - a true restoration,...

Wayne

smbarcelow
08-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Sounds like a rescue mission. I'm usually in favor of those. :superman:

cutwater
08-01-2008, 07:59 AM
I did this exact same thing... At some point I will start the restoration :wink:. I paid $1100 for mine and dropped $600 in gas to go get it, but it is a cool thing to have one of the early Ski Sporters.

I will echo what Wayne said - If you don't have a boat that runs, I would get one first. It is really frustrating to look at your project and not be able to get out on the water. You can get a running 16' for probably $8k (which you might be thinking is too much money), but you will drop $20k in the restoration of the boat you're looking at. Something to consider.

olredalert
08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
-----jg480,,,I know which boat you are looking at and the price seems good until you have the history. Call me if you want at 810-326-0490 as I know many reasons you need to know........Bill S

smbarcelow
08-01-2008, 09:51 AM
...the price seems good until you have the history...

That's just another example of why this is such a great site.

gcarter
08-01-2008, 10:05 AM
I think the same rules apply as to collecting and restoring cars.....buy the best one you can afford. These boats aren't so rare that we need to save every freaking last one of them.

jg480
08-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I already have an 87 18'c thats halfway through a major overhaul, new paint, rigging and 400hp motor. I also have a 26 proline WA fishing boat.
My wife just had our first child last week so my boating season is pretty much over for this year, or at least it seems like it. I figured this would make a good ski boat for junior in a couple of years.
Jim

gcarter
08-01-2008, 10:46 AM
The cost to restore, even over a long period of time, will NEVER be worth it if it was free. Just my opinion.
A good 16 is seldom worth more than $10K, and you can reach that in a hurry in restoration costs.
But keep looking, there are true bargains out there.

cutwater
08-01-2008, 11:31 AM
These boats aren't so rare that we need to save every freaking last one of them.

True, but remember the wooden boats we now consider classics were sometimes torched in bonfires as firewood if they fell into moderate disrepair... now they are highly desirable. Then again, if so many weren't destroyed, maybe they would be less expensive now... :propeller: I'll stop before this becomes a thread hijack!

The cost to restore, even over a long period of time, will NEVER be worth it if it was free.

Yep.

By the way... great quote George!

jg480
08-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll let this one go there's quit a few "useable" 16's out there at fair prices, besides I don't want my kid to be an orphan. I'm sure my wife would kill me if it showed up in the driveway!

smbarcelow
08-01-2008, 12:07 PM
...I'm sure my wife would kill me if it showed up in the driveway!

That factor is more significant than all the others combined. :wink: