PDA

View Full Version : My new 1988 18 classic

fwi
07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Newbie here. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone. I live in So. Florida but am up in Michigan for the summer and this is where I bought the boat.
Just purchased this 18 classic 2+3. It has 350/270HP, Alpha One and it sits on the original Donzi factory trailer. Engine is recent with less than 50 hrs on it. Hull is flawless, interior is ok, all gauges and instruments work.
Took it out on Muskegon lake for the first time today and noticed the steering wanders all over the place, in that I had to keep turning the wheel left and right about half a turn just to keep it going straight!!!
It was dead calm and I was the only one on the water. Don't know what kind of steering it has but I took some pics of it.
Also, it didn't seem to want to get up on plane too easily, at 2000 rpm it just made a lot of noise. It has a 21 pitch 3 blade cleaver.
Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

ITTLFLI
07-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Welcome!

Nice looking 18!

I could be wrong but that looks like a shock for a car/truck that is mounted to your transom.:eek:

chappy
07-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the board. Does that external steering unit have any writing on it? Just curious as to what brand or make it is? Good luck with the boat, gotta love the classic red.:pimp:

olredalert
07-31-2008, 01:42 PM
-----I dont see any hydraulic lines so I am assuming that that apparatus is some sort of stabilizer. I could be wrong but I would bet that the unit we see was installed to try to cover up some wear elsewhere in your steering set-up. As well, I would have it checked quick as premature breakage in your steering could be disastrous.
-----Cleavers are way old tech but your boat should do OK with it. What kind of noise are we talking about???

-----Oh,,,Steering will wander a bit on any outdrive boat at harbor speeds, but usually need only small corrections. Is that what you mean when you talked about going straight or were you talking about up on plane???.........Bill S

DonziJon
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Could that "external steerng" actually be a "screen door closer" or some kind of gizmo used to keep the drive from flopping around while towing on the trailer? Maybe it just "Pops" On and Off when ready for the water. Just wondering. I couldn't see a hydraulic hose connection to it in the picture. John

EDIT: YES.. Maybe a steering damper like on a motorcycle.

BlownCrewCab
07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Does it wander when your on Plane? or when your Idleing. My 18 wandered allot at Idle(had full hyd steering) but if you left the steering wheel alone it would wander back the other way. it went where I pointed it, but wiggled getting there. After I figured that out I didn't try to correct it as much.

MOP
07-31-2008, 02:26 PM
The wandering has been hashed and re-hashed ALL single engine deep V's wander at idle speeds, the cure is to put the trim tabs full down and it disappears it will run with hands off! The steering stabilizer was a common thing but not seen to much anymore.

The 18 is a sweet boat enjoy!

Phil

LakePlay
07-31-2008, 02:34 PM
great looking boat. congrats:cool:

mrfixxall
07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
What all you guys are seeing is a sidewinder kit off the drive http://marinetoys.ca/mtoys/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=26&products_id=696&osCsid=21920b32ce0b75ffe07eab357ebb9041

Yes its soppose to dampen the steering but in some cases it may make you boat wander if your steering cable is loose or the steering arm is loose in the gimble housing..

Welcome to the board!! first thing i would do is take that shock off the drive and see if the drive moves back and forth..if it does then try and tighten the two bolts that facing you at the top of the gimble..(thats where the steering arm attaches to) Also check the steering cable at the steering rsck,somtimes i see them come loose..

you may want to look into a differant prop llke a turbo 1 or a txp if you can turn it,check with me or griz (we are both dealers for turbo)..
you will notice a huge differance with a turbo prop:)

good luck

justleft
07-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Ok, here is a simple way to diagnose and right on the trailer.

Put he dirve down to the normal running setting.
Walk around the back of the boat (motor off !!!).
Grab the bottom of the drive and pull/push, twist left/right !!!

Is it moving ? I'm guessing someone added an off-road steering
shock to tame worn steering/cable/bad pivots/ etc.....

Twisting that drive around will show you where the slop is.

MOP
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Remember that there is about 1-1/4" slop in a brand new power steering drive, this is due to the shuttle valve movement on the power steering unit. A better way to check for slop is to block on each side of the tiller arm with wooden blocks eliminating any motion of the arm, then you can do your outside checks. Be careful to see if the tiller it's self is lose this is pretty common on older drives. Still with it blocked in place get a buddy to watch the movement of the cable with the engine off, you will see the cable slide the shuttle valve from side to side. The movement of the cable should be near instantaneous, but even with brand new installations there is still roughly 3/4" play at the wheel prior to any movement of the cable aft.

Phil

txtaz
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Yep, What Mop and the roundy roundy guy said. (justleft, do you race? I'm an scca guy myself.)

The 18c is a great hull and can turn on a dime. Get some seat time before pushing the hull to much. It can hook on you taking hard turns at speed. You will get used to the wondering. In the long run you end up at the same place.

Welcome to the board. There is a ton of information and great people here.

Da Taz<---My 325is keeps sinking when I slow down.

fwi
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks all for the kind words and advice.

That thing on the back is a sidewinder kit (although it looks like it says RANCHO 5403 stamped into the cylinder and made in USA).

The noise it was making when I tried to get up on plane was just engine noise.

My previous boat was a 1978 Pantera 24 race boat, (although I never raced it), it did wander a bit when at idle speed but not as much as this one.

I will follow your advice on checking the slop in the steering tomorrow.

Also, this boat only has a single battery with no battery switch, do you recommend installing a battery switch anyway?
And, is there a reasonably easy and affordable way to convert that single throttle/shifter plastic piece of junk to a twin stick setup?

mrfixxall
07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
That thing on the back is a sidewinder kit (although it looks like it says RANCHO 5403 stamped into the cylinder and made in USA).

ok so its a home made version:biggrin:

gafferig makes a fiberglass pod for the twin handle set up..

http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Products/throttles.cfm?theSubCategory=54

BigGrizzly
07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Nice boat welcome to the board.

The Hedgehog
07-31-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks all for the kind words and advice.

The noise it was making when I tried to get up on plane was just engine noise.

My previous boat was a 1978 Pantera 24 race boat, (although I never raced it), it did wander a bit when at idle speed but not as much as this one.

I will follow your advice on checking the slop in the steering tomorrow.

Also, this boat only has a single battery with no battery switch, do you recommend installing a battery switch anyway?
And, is there a reasonably easy and affordable way to convert that single throttle/shifter plastic piece of junk to a twin stick setup?

I went with a Livorsi side throttle in my 18. It is not a 2 stick but has a great action and looks much better. A number of folks on the board have done them.

Dana makes a cool looking twin stick side throttle. I have not driven a boat with one so I can't comment on the action. I thought that someone on the board did one of those too.

fwi
07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Thank you.
Checked drive slop and steering wheel. The wheel has 3" of play and the drive looks like it moves about 2 to 3" before it moves the steering wheel.

DonziJon
07-31-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm probably gonna get some flak from this but here is my take on TWO Batterys in a Donzi Classic. My first 25 years in boating were in SAIL.....did I say SAIL? ..Dam....OK... Don't want to offend anyone with that word.:hangum:

With a "Cabin Boat"..either Power or Sail, a second battery is recommended by ME. A cabin boat is one in which you stay over night in the boat on occassion, and use cabin lights and maybe a stereo after dark.

A Classic Donzi does ..IN NO WAY NEED a second battery.....Anyone who thinks they need a second battery is ....... well........is probably not paying attention to the maintenance of their boat. If they can't maintain ONE Baterry....how would they be expected to maintain TWO? A second battery is just more complicated. Who needs complicated? Just wondering. Nothing personal. :bonk: John

chappy
07-31-2008, 07:07 PM
:hijack:

Got any pics of that Pantera?:biggrin:

Sorry, had to ask.

Last Real Texan
07-31-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm probably gonna get some flak from this but here is my take on TWO Batterys in a Donzi Classic. My first 25 years in boating were in SAIL.....did I say SAIL? ..Dam....OK... Don't want to offend anyone with that word.:hangum:
With a "Cabin Boat"..either Power or Sail, a second battery is recommended by ME. A cabin boat is one in which you stay over night in the boat on occassion, and use cabin lights and maybe a stereo after dark.
A Classic Donzi does ..IN NO WAY NEED a second battery.....Anyone who thinks they need a second battery is ....... well........is probably not paying attention to the maintenance of their boat. If they can't maintain ONE Baterry....how would they be expected to maintain TWO? A second battery is just more complicated. Who needs complicated? Just wondering. Nothing personal. :bonk: John

Tell us how you really feel.........:nilly:

zelatore
07-31-2008, 07:35 PM
A Classic Donzi does ..IN NO WAY NEED a second battery.....Anyone who thinks they need a second battery is ....... well........is probably not paying attention to the maintenance of their boat.

OK, I'll agree.

Excpet MAYBE for those guys who'd rather hang out at the sandbar with a monster stereo cranked up for hours on end. Those guys could use a second battery.

Of course, my boat has 2 batteries and NO stereo. but that's the way it was when I got it.

Now, about that rag-bagger thing....:smash::smash::smash:

fwi
07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
:hijack:

Got any pics of that Pantera?:biggrin:

Sorry, had to ask.

I just happen to have one or two...:wink:

The Hedgehog
07-31-2008, 08:57 PM

Oh yeah! That is a cool boat. Very hot.:pimp:

I run 2 in my ZX and crank the stereo while swimming in the middle of the lake. No apology there.:smash:

I would do the same in my X-18

tamburello
07-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Sweet ride! Nice to see there's another 18 in W. Michigan. I'll keep an eye out for you, I run mine out of Holland. Have fun!

- Jeff

p729lws
08-01-2008, 12:18 AM

Nice! Is it stand up only or do the bolsters have drop out seats?

Dan

osur866
08-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Congrats on the purchase, the 18's are really fun, looks great welcome to the Donzi family :wink: . Steve

Kirbyvv
08-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Back on topic here....it sounds like you have excessive play in the steering that you need to look into.

DonziJon
08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Tell us how you really feel.........:nilly:

I don't feel nothin. I'm just sittin here relaxin with an adult beverage. :smash::smash:

(PUI) should be a punishable offence. :shocking:

fwi
08-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Back on topic here....it sounds like you have excessive play in the steering that you need to look into.

I will look into the steering problem today. Also, do you use power steering fluid to refill the drive trim pump reservoir?

Hey Dan (p729lws)
I am Georges on OSO, you were going to check out the Pantera24 for me in Navarre, FL a couple of weeks ago. Thanks again. Oh and to answer your question, those were drop downs and I kept them down, otherwise my knees would hit the steering wheel. I am only 5'10" but there wasn't a whole lot of room in the ****pit.

I guess you can't say (the area in which one sits while controling a vessel or an aircraft)?