PDA

View Full Version : Answer to burnt rummer smell

TBroccoli
07-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks to thoughs who gave helpful suggestions in finding the cause of the burnt rubber smell I was getting after a decent speed run. I gave up and had a merc tech check things out. He found two things. One was that I had what looked like what could have been the remains of my exhaust flapper valves in the lower exhaust clogging the ports. The second and what the tech thinks is the cause of the smell was my drive oil resovior was leaking from the bottom o-ring and dripping onto/between the manifold and the block. I also had a broken blade on the raw water impeller.

MOP
07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
And now take a deep breath and enjoy your summer, could have been a lot worse.

Phil

gcarter
07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks to thoughs who gave helpful suggestions in finding the cause of the burnt rubber smell I was getting after a decent speed run. I gave up and had a merc tech check things out. He found two things. One was that I had what looked like what could have been the remains of my exhaust flapper valves in the lower exhaust clogging the ports. The second and what the tech thinks is the cause of the smell was my drive oil resovior was leaking from the bottom o-ring and dripping onto/between the manifold and the block. I also had a broken blade on the raw water impeller.
Great news!
I assume you now have new seals and pump impellor?

TBroccoli
07-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I put a whole new resovoir on and replaced the impeller and housing. I did not put new exhaust flappers on yet. They are on order and will probably be a fall project.

Did anyone know that your mercruiser risers can very up to 30 degrees F from port to starboard? Starboard side always being the hottest? (This info came directly from the mercruiser factory) I don't understand it.

brwn234
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Thats a relief to hear about the varying exhaust temps. I had tried to track down a problem with my cooling system for over a year. The problem even hopped over with my new EMI exhaust. I've heard of lots of people have the same issue, always the starboard side, and now I know its a factory problem. Probably something to do with the intake manifold, running leaner on one side.

gcarter
07-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Thats a relief to hear about the varying exhaust temps. I had tried to track down a problem with my cooling system for over a year. The problem even hopped over with my new EMI exhaust. I've heard of lots of people have the same issue, always the starboard side, and now I know its a factory problem. Probably something to do with the intake manifold, running leaner on one side.
Maybe, but I would think it's more about water distribution in the exhaust manifolds which comes from the thermostat housing.