PDA

View Full Version : '73 Sweet 16 in Maryland

bmc69
07-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm looking to sell my 'baby'..too many boats in my possesion and am looking to move away from the water to the mountains. So...

I bought this boat in 1990 and the original H&M 302 was still running then but did not last long due to internal corrosion issues. Over a period of 15 years I pecked away at a restoration. Since that was completed she has been a very fun and reliable boat and despite a few cosmetic flaws in the gel coat, turned out very nice. It is NOT a show piece..it is a very nice looking 'daily driver'.

Hull had been painted over before I got it, including anti-fouling bottom paint. I had the paint stripped above the antifouling line and new Imron red and clear applied.

I bought a set of the original Bilt-Rite upholstery new in '95 and finally installed it at the end of the restoration 3 year ago.

Upper gear case of original 270 outdrive completely rebuilt. Intermediate drive shaft bearings and seals replaced and new bellow.

New steering cable and shift cable. New steering wheel.

Solid-lifter 302 built on Mexican block with a lot of head work, stainless 1.94/1.6 valves, guide plates, roller-tip rockers, etc. Keith Black pistons - 10.5:1. Holley 750 carb and Unilite ignition. Barr cast iron mannys and risers. Michigan stainless RH wheel (24" IIRC?) In-line oil cooler with suction strainer in front of that. The original engine used to loose some oil pressure after sustained high RPM operation and the addition of the oil cooler on this one cured that.

New grab rail fittings. New rub rail..but it now has some scratches and dings from regular use. Couple minor dings and scratches here and there in the paint too..but very minor.

I replace the oil in engine and outdrive twice every season and she gets a complete engine flush after every dip in the water. Has never had any cooling issues whatsoever..the pump is now a Jabsco instead of the original Sherwood to make servicing of it easier.

Trailer is in 'ok' condition for an original, with new axles, springs, hubs, wheels and tires and bed supports. The frame is rusting through in a couple places though, although not in any structurally critical areas and I still use it regularly.

Touneau cover and overall custom boat cover, both red, are included. The touneau cover could use some stiching replaced but still serves.

Asking $6900. Location is in southern Maryland, Piney Point 20674
*Comparing to some others on themarket..trailer condition and bottom paint on mine suggest my first price was high*

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/507116/fullsize/p1010152.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/417717/fullsize/p1010170.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/417716/fullsize/p1010168.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/417715/fullsize/p1010169.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/408285/fullsize/p1010157.jpg

bmc69
08-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Shameless bump. No questions?..or even comments about my asking price? All are welcome...

duramax2888
08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
very nice clean looking boat but the bottom paint kills:hangum: it for me

bmc69
08-06-2008, 06:58 PM
very nice clean looking boat but the bottom paint kills:hangum: it for me

I hear ya. The budget for stripping and painting was limited and still a whopping number by the time it was done. It was a tough choice to leave that on there and I did not want to, especially since it didn't even follow the waterline..as you can clearly see at the bow. Thanks for the feedback..and I don't think it slows the ole girl down much.:wink:

HOWARD O
08-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I hear ya. The budget for stripping and painting was limited and still a whopping number by the time it was done. It was a tough choice to leave that on there and I did not want to, especially since it didn't even follow the waterline..as you can clearly see at the bow. Thanks for the feedback..and I don't think it slows the ole girl down much.:wink:

Bottom paint could be hot pink, it's still a very beautiful 16. If the photos are accurate, that red is a really deep looking color. You should keep her, can't be too far from a lake in the mountains! Doesn't take up much room! :)

bmc69
08-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Bottom paint could be hot pink, it's still a very beautiful 16. If the photos are accurate, that red is a really deep looking color. You should keep her, can't be too far from a lake in the mountains! Doesn't take up much room! :)

Thanks. It was a hard decision to part with the 16. But I also have a '72 Champ 17 that I'm restoring and decided it made more sense to keep that over the Sweet 16. It's a jet boat with a 428 Ford..a good 'lake boat'.:wink:

bmc69
08-27-2008, 08:45 AM
*crickets*

Do I hear $6000.....? Can't take this thing with me where I'm moving...:garfield:

Donzi Racer
08-27-2008, 01:07 PM
*crickets*

Do I hear $6000.....? Can't take this thing with me where I'm moving...:garfield:

Very nice looking 16. Could you give some speed & rpm figures with the fresher motor? Was your original asking price $6900? Just curious. Boat poor but this one looks interesting. T

bmc69
08-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Very nice looking 16. Could you give some speed & rpm figures with the fresher motor? Was your original asking price $6900? Just curious. Boat poor but this one looks interesting. T

I started at $7700 to 'test the waters'. Then edited the original post down to 6900.

I don't have any good numbers for the speed vs RPM. The prop I have on her now is overpitched and that limits the RPM to less than 5000...while the engine peak power is closer to 7000. (It was built originally for 4x4 MX racing, not for the boat). At 5000 she won't quite hit 60 and she chine walks pretty badly when she gets there. From some of he discussions I have followed on here a while back, its pretty clear I have quite the wrong prop on her - too much pitch and too much lift both - and was going to replace it eventually. A change of camshaft would help a lot too...something that moves the peak power band down in RPM considerably from where it currently is. The one that is in it is solid-lifter with 310-degree duration and .610 lift. She sounds evil and runs evil, to a point, but the setup is mismatched:

According the dyno sheets when the engine was built, at 4500 RPM it's getting less than 300 HP to the prop. At 6500 it would be right at 400.

Don't meant to run down my own baot..its still an absolute joy to tool around in all day and cruises 40-45 all day long with half-decent fuel consumption. The hardware is there to really take it a lot higher than that..engine and prop properly rematched to do so. Time and money always lacking..LOL

Donzi Racer
08-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I started at $7700 to 'test the waters'. Then edited the original post down to 6900.

I don't have any good numbers for the speed vs RPM. The prop I have on her now is overpitched and that limits the RPM to less than 5000...while the engine peak power is closer to 7000. (It was built originally for 4x4 MX racing, not for the boat). At 5000 she won't quite hit 60 and she chine walks pretty badly when she gets there. From some of he discussions I have followed on here a while back, its pretty clear I have quite the wrong prop on her - too much pitch and too much lift both - and was going to replace it eventually. A change of camshaft would help a lot too...something that moves the peak power band down in RPM considerably from where it currently is. The one that is in it is solid-lifter with 310-degree duration and .610 lift. She sounds evil and runs evil, to a point, but the setup is mismatched:

According the dyno sheets when the engine was built, at 4500 RPM it's getting less than 300 HP to the prop. At 6500 it would be right at 400.

Don't meant to run down my own baot..its still an absolute joy to tool around in all day and cruises 40-45 all day long with half-decent fuel consumption. The hardware is there to really take it a lot higher than that..engine and prop properly rematched to do so. Time and money always lacking..LOL

Thanks for the extended condition report. That makes sense. It looks very nice for any year but real nice for such an early model. Not crazy about the bottom paint but can maybe get over that. Tom

bmc69
08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Yr welcome of course.

I still have the original HM cam and its in great shape. Hydraulic lifters of course with that one.

Make offers anyone..I'm not easily insullted :cool:and I know that things like removal of the bottom paint, for those that care that much about that, and tweaking prop and cam are not trivial in terms of cost and labor to get 'em done.

crumph
08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
When do you need to sell the boat by?

Donzi Racer
08-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Yr welcome of course.

I still have the original HM cam and its in great shape. Hydraulic lifters of course with that one.

Make offers anyone..I'm not easily insullted :cool:and I know that things like removal of the bottom paint, for those that care that much about that, and tweaking prop and cam are not trivial in terms of cost and labor to get 'em done.

Just sent you a PM. Check it out and get back with me. Tom