PDA

View Full Version : Original Hornet III windshield??

ZekesterbluH3
07-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm about to have the windshield on an '86 Hornet III manufactured, the one I have that is smashed is not original, and I've seen pics depicting two different styles of shield...one is your basic windshield, the other is the windshield with small deflectors on the traling edge of the front pane...

What was the original windshield design??

LakePlay
07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
mine is an 83' hornet III. the windshield on mine is made up of 3 pieces of plexiglass and 2 aluminum splices but i dont know if its original or not. mine needs replaced also. where are you having your made?

ZekesterbluH3
07-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm north of the border, getting an estimate from a place in Hamilton Ontario..

LakePlay
07-29-2008, 02:13 PM
let me know what they charge. i will probably have my made local to kansas city and am curious what its going to cost.

DonziJon
07-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I've got a 1986 Donzi wall poster with a Hornet III (21') Without the upturned wind deflectors. The same poster shows a 22 2+3 (22'8") With the two upturned wind deflectors...one in front of the driver and one for the passenger. John

MOP
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I am pretty sure the deflectors were not on your models windshield, but you may want to consider them. I have an 86 22 with the deflectors, I can run 65mph with my hat on and hear my other half though sometimes I can do without that!! If you ride in one without the deflectors your eyes tear constantly and forget wearing a hat, the newer style windshields look super and compliment the lines but are in no way near as comfortable. And for get trying to hear you have to holler at speed. Quite a few have added deflectors for that very reason, you could opt for goggles!!! If you have ridden a motorcycle at speed without a helmet and goggles you know just what I mean.

Phil

MOP
07-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Looks like I may be wrong on the deflectors, scroll down in the link below to the Hornet III it has the deflectors! That is a super big plus in my mind!!! By the way I have seen this one it runs out by me, it is a pretty sweet boat!

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/donzi/

Phil

ZekesterbluH3
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I sent the pieces to a plastics guy up here with an estimate of $5-600, until he got it, with the deflectors they wanted $1500. All 3 pices are broken, so it is a complete windshield that needs to be replaced...needless to say, I'm back to the drawing board, looks like I'm shipping the pieces to Florida.

Anyone recommend a spot where you had a windshield made? I'm googling and just going down the list....

LakePlay
08-04-2008, 01:08 PM
ouch!

$1500 seams damm steep. i would try a different local shop.

ZekesterbluH3
08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I found UPD in Florida that has molds for an 86 22 classic, for $550. The classic looks very similar in shape to the Hornet....anyone know if they are interchangeable?

DonziJon
08-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I found UPD in Florida that has molds for an 86 22 classic, for $550. The classic looks very similar in shape to the Hornet....anyone know if they are interchangeable?

The windshields DO look the same, (forgetting the deflector tabs on the 22). The BEAM on the 1986 22 2+3 is 7'0". The BEAM on the Hornet III is 7'10". If it were the other way around you would be in luck. Such as it is, I think you will have to keep looking. John

EDIT: I just looked at the pictures again and I "think" the 22 windshield is shorter/lower than the one on the Hornet which may explain why the 22 has deflectors and the Hornet does not. They might have wanted the 22 profile to be lower.

ZekesterbluH3
08-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I've had a few Hornet 3 owners PM me and tell me they have deflectors, although they may not be original...

It's hard to tell scale from pics of windshields, so the H3 could be a larger version on the classic screen...

I'll call UDP tomorrow and talk to them....

DonziJon
08-05-2008, 08:59 AM
I've had a few Hornet 3 owners PM me and tell me they have deflectors, although they may not be original...

It's hard to tell scale from pics of windshields, so the H3 could be a larger version on the classic screen...

I'll call UDP tomorrow and talk to them....

I have an '86 Minx which has a deflector the full width of the windshield. I'm 6'2" and I can wear a broad brimmed straw hat at 55MPH without the hat flopping around. If I want to go 60 I either duck down just a tad or take it off just to save the trouble of going back for it. The deflectors are a must have for me. :) John