PDA

View Full Version : Horse back riding and bears.....

Donziweasel
07-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, I haven't posted a good Wyoming story in a while because I figure you were all getting tired of them. Yesterday I had a pretty cool encounter. We went horseback riding up behind our house in the national forest. We were in a canyon and rode about 6 miles up it. On the way out, our dogs (beagle and a lab) started going crazy. Boo Boo and I heard some crashing in the forest ahead of us. She passed this huge pine tree and kept going. I was about 30 yards behind her. I pass the same tree and all of the sudden, I hear a bunch of limbs breaking. Something really big had slid down the tree on the back side of it where I couldn't see. I was about 10 feet away and a HUGE black bear stuck it's head out. It looked at me, I looked at him, and he took off up the canyon wall. He stopped a way up and watched us for a while. I am not afraid of bears in general, but, when he first poked his head around the tree, it was round and tan, like a grizzly. Having a black bear fall out of a tree 10 feet away is not big deal, a grizzly is. Then I saw his body I could tell it was a black bear. I was amazed the horses didn't smell him or see him. They remained perfectly calm, unlike the crazy horse I was on last year that smelled the bear and tried to throw me. Anyway, it was a cool encounter I really enjoyed seeing the bear.

Anyway, here is a pic of Boo Boo doing her best cowgirl immitation after the ride. Also, a few of the progress on the Lazy P, notice my shop is coming along nicely! Great day, great ride.

BUIZILLA
07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
very cool

chappy
07-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Gotta love black bears. I had one jump out of a dumpster at work about a month ago. Little guy, about 250 or 275, about 30 feet from me. I don't care what ANYONE says, he was not more afraid of me than I was of him.:outtahere:

Donziweasel
07-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks Jim and Chappy. Here is a link to a blog Boo Boo has going about the lazy P. Some good pics of the progress-

http://lazy-p-ranch.sampasite.com/

BigGrizzly
07-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Nice progress, I am sure you are going to be pleased. At least you got your priorities straight, shop first!:wink:

boxy
07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Looks great. The soil looks really good, I would have thought it would be more rocky.

Donziweasel
07-29-2008, 08:21 PM
I thought it would be really rocky too, but there is hardly, if any, rocks. Looks like my lawn will do well. It hasn't rained out here in over a month and it is pretty dusty.