PDA

View Full Version : Help with kill switch

jvcobra
07-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm trying to get the kill switch to function on my 87' 22 Classic. It appears to be a N.O. type of switch so when the lanyard pulls off the circuit is made and the engine is killed. Currently the boat will run with the lanyard on and off and mechanically the switch is fine so I think it was bypassed at some point. There are two wires coming from the back of the switch, a red and black. The black I traced to ground but I haven't found out where the red is going. Does anyone with a mid to late 80's Classic know where the two wires should be connected in order for the kill switch to work? I hate redoing other people's wiring mess but I'd like to have the switch working for some top end runs.

Thanks,
Joe

VetteLT193
07-28-2008, 01:08 PM
based on your avatar your boat looks modified?

It may have been bypassed because the mods. What kind of ignition are you running? the older style kill switches kicked on when pulled, grounded out the ignition. The newer style kill switches daisy chain through the red ignition wire that goes to the ignition switch and are 'on' when the lanyard is attached.

You might have to change yours out, I think some of the aftermarket ignitions don't like the old ground-out style.

jvcobra
07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Yes, the engine is modified and runs an MSD ignition so you may be on to something. I'll have to do some research to see what would work with this ignition. It would be nice to know where the wire are supposed to go so I can work from there.

Joe

VetteLT193
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes, the engine is modified and runs an MSD ignition so you may be on to something. I'll have to do some research to see what would work with this ignition. It would be nice to know where the wire are supposed to go so I can work from there.

Joe

I know MSD has specific instructions on kill switches. check their site first.

jvcobra
07-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I just reviewed the manual on-line and it looks like they have a provision for a "theft deterrent" kill switch. Basically a N.O. switch that goes to ground. I should be able to use my existing switch and wire it to that.

If anyone knows the original wiring config I'd still like to know.

Thanks!

MOP
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I think my 86 had the same switch, it would ground the coil. I did not like the idea as it really was like a short. I replaced the switch with the type that opens the purple ignition wires circuit taking the juice away from the coil.

98shovel
07-29-2008, 12:11 AM
wired mine on the tr to the msd ignition on wire so it shuts down the msd as if u turned off the key. kills only the msd

jvcobra
07-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Ok, thanks for the help. I will try re-wiring it this weekend and see how it goes.

Joe