PDA

View Full Version : Hatch Prop Rod

VetteLT193
07-28-2008, 09:22 AM
I need a hatch prop rod. I'll take one out of any classic and make it work.

My boat was converted to gas shock hatch lift, then they were removed... So I'd like to just get the prop rod from another member who has converted to gas shock...

Jraysray
07-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I need a hatch prop rod. I'll take one out of any classic and make it work.

My boat was converted to gas shock hatch lift, then they were removed... So I'd like to just get the prop rod from another member who has converted to gas shock...

If you don't mind me asking, why were the gas shocks removed?

VetteLT193
07-29-2008, 07:23 AM
the previous owner did it.

Here is what I think happened: The gas shocks apply constant pressure to the hatch latch, the guy was out running around one day, hit a wave, and the hatch latch pulled away from the mount... then flew out of the boat. So, the guy had a constantly open hatch. So, he removed the gas shocks so the hatch would lay down.

I've been using the handle for my motorcycle jack. good height. But, I really would like a regular prop rod. If no one has one laying around I'll do the gas shock thing again. I'd prefer a prop rod though, I've had a boat before with gas shocks and the constant pressure warped the hatch.

ragbagger270
07-29-2008, 05:22 PM
I made mine out of a piece of wooden closet rod I found somewhere. A little white paint and it works fine. Plus I can move it from side to side depending on where I am working. Not fancy, but the price was right

VetteLT193
07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
I made mine out of a piece of wooden closet rod I found somewhere. A little white paint and it works fine. Plus I can move it from side to side depending on where I am working. Not fancy, but the price was right

I could do that, but I was hoping to get one off another boat... a sitting in the garage special so to speak. Plus, the Minx hatch is smooth on the bottom and hurts like hell when it falls on your head. :smash: