PDA

View Full Version : Cooling issue?

ZekesterbluH3
07-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm bringing back to life a merc 330 that has been sitting for years, I changed the oil, pulled the plugs, put a breaker bar on it and it spun easily...I pulled the coil wire, cranked till i got oil pressure... then closed it up, put a hose on the freshwater cool inlet, and started it. It started in no time, Idled smooth no smoke. temp came up nicely,then at 160 or so dropped to 100 then came back up. I shut it off after about 10 minutes of 1000 to 1500 rpm, with afew shots to 2500.

There was an issue with the thermostat, found out the wrong was in, when i changed it, noticed one of the lower big coolant hoses was mushy and split when i pulled it. when i dumped out the water...I got antifreeze and water that the previous owner used to winterize it...

shouldn't the 10 minute run cleared all the coolant? I was getting antifreeze and water out of the exhaust, but could the pressure of the hose been pushing the water? I'm worried I've got a euchered impeller, and it isn't pumping coolant properly thru the engine...

any comments would greatly appreciated...

MOP
07-27-2008, 03:27 AM
Takes quite awhile to get all of the antifreeze out, all of the water is going right out the exhaust until the Tstat opens. Even after the Tstat opens flow within the block it's self is not near as fast as many think it is.