PDA

View Full Version : Need Directions on How to wet Sand?

cherry82482
07-26-2008, 08:30 AM
I need some directions on how to properly wet sand gelcoat? I'm trying to get surface scrathces off the bow of my 16 classic.

onesubdrvr
07-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Check out this thread

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53462

there is another link in there with good directions.

Best luck, let's see how it turns out for you!

Wayne

BlownCrewCab
07-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Probably the most important part, especially when your on the finer papers, Like 1000+ is to keep the surface perfectly clean. 1 piece of dirt or sand will set you back to 400/600 grit. You'll know when it happens because you'll hear it, as your sanding if you hear a ZzzzzziiiiiiiiiiPPPPP, ZzzzzzzziiiiiiiiPPPPPP sound with each stroke, STOP. and rinse everything down to get rid of any dirt. Another good practice is to sand in straight lines, varying a few degrees with each stroke, Never sand in circles like you would applying wax. You can do it, it's NOT Hard, Just time consuming.

cutwater
07-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Directions on how to wet sand? Hilarious - at first I misunderstood the title... :wink:

The obvious answer? Take one cup of sand, add water...

Tony
07-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Depending on how much area you're intending to sand, another tip is to change your paper often. I did my entire hull with a D/A sander, and found out that one 6" round disc would only last about 2 square feet!

"beer"

gcarter
07-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Depending on how much area you're intending to sand, another tip is to change your paper often. I did my entire hull with a D/A sander, and found out that one 6" round disc would only last about 2 square feet!
"beer"
The finer the paper, the more frequently you have to change it. Paper is your friend, like film to a photographer. The more the merrier. I'm using 1/4 sheet pieces of 800 and I'll change it after an 18" square. It just goes faster that way.
There, ya got it for two different methods.
P.S.;
I'd really not reccomend using a DA sander for 400 or 600 as those grades are still pretty agressive and you just might end up w/some waviness.