PDA

View Full Version : Kill ALL the eMachines!

Formula Jr
07-26-2008, 02:38 AM
As some of you may know, I'm a Tech at a computer refurbishing center.

We get every kind and make of computers.

We get Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, IBM, Alien, Silicone Graphics, Apple,...... every imaginable brand and family of desktops and Work Stations. We see and go through a lot of computers: thousands a year.

But there is one, and so far only one brand that I've determined to kill on sight.

And these are the eMachines.

We give our re-made computers a 90 day warranty, just like most OEMs. And over the past few years a pattern arrived. Almost every eMachine we ever sold, came back with some sort of strange hardware failure. Of coarse, we get them in the first place because there was some sort of hardware failure, which we then corrected. The ones we get back have entirely different hardware failures.

I seriously don't think these things were designed to last much longer than the original warranty.

So, if you have an eMachine and are having any sort of problem with it, do not invest another nickel into one of these. The second or third set of failures is on their way.

The company I work for, prides itself on being an alternative to buying new computers, and we run lots of ads about how we will take your old computer and give it a new life. And we beg to get every half decent computer we can.

But an eMachine; nope: Don't care what it is and what it clocks out at. They get taken apart and their materials recycled.....we only save the CPUs, the RAM and the drives off of these - all of them not involved with eMachines. Some even have pretty nice Intel motherboards, yet all the caps, and everything else put on the boards are just junk.

I got word today that I convinced the company to just kill them all: I don't have to build them anymore, I don't have to service them anymore!

Wow, I'm really feeling the happiness about this! Damn that that feels good.

No more eMachines.

:smash:

Ed Donnelly
07-26-2008, 07:28 AM
I can feel your happiness too, as I am the one of a very few that post at 3.30 in the morning too....:wink: Ed

harbormaster
07-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Amen on the e-machines. The ones I delt with did not even use a standard power supply. I made the mistake once of recommending one to a freelance customer. It died within 2 months. I also was reloading one for another person, and I could not even find drivers for the network card. how screwed up is that!

Hows Married life?

RedDog
07-26-2008, 12:17 PM
I've had happiness with the one I bought for my wife. She leaves it on all of the time and basically only uses the web and Quicken. Some occasional light word processing / spreadsheet use. The power supply did fail after 2-1/2 to 3 years of use. I assume it was replaced by a better model.

But then - I doubt I would buy one for MY use...

drew0982
07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
yea... they really are CRAP

JimG
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Mine runs like a champ...

Carl C
08-04-2008, 07:39 AM
I have a "Cisnet". It seems to have the good stuff inside and I thought that that meant more than the name on the outside. Have you had any experience with Cisnet?