PDA

View Full Version : pulleys

glashole
07-25-2008, 07:14 AM
I have an older 1998 cruiser that i just picked up a few weeks ago

It has a pair of 5.7 mags with bravo 3s

they have serpentine belts on the front of them

a few weeks ago the pulley that runs the water pump broke
the bearings inside it I believe ceased and the pulley kept turning stripping the pulley and obviously not running the water pump

I limped back no problem

took a while to get the parts as they "don't generally go"

got the parts and it works just fine

last night on the other motor the pulley on the power steering pump stripped and fell off :doh:

I could still turn this pump by hand

my question is, what engine oil should i be running in the boat, what props do you suggest :), and why am I having problems with the pulleys? :confused:

I am under the assumption that it is just my back luck, fix them get some extras and change them if they break again

I just want to be sure there isn't something that I should be aware of or that I should do or if there is something wrong anything?

faverod
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
I have 98 7.4 Mercs and the power steering pulleys used then were made out of plastic, mine disintegrated and cracked. I've since replaced them with GM metal pulleys although they are slightly bigger in diameter so I needed to change the serpentine belt size as well.

glashole
07-25-2008, 11:24 AM
these pulleys are already metal

Morgan's Cloud
07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
What oil ? ? .. I'll pass on that one thenkewverymuch :tongue:
Now , what about the props ...? Did it come without them ?
Or have you run it and it's not reaching max rpm (or it's over revving) ?
Two sets of B3 props ... Ouch , have to save up a bit for that huh ? :biggrin:

VetteLT193
07-25-2008, 12:09 PM
did you buy the boat as a repo, or as a boat that sat for a while?

glashole
07-25-2008, 12:32 PM
I figured it to be just junk materials, or dried out

the boat has sat for a while so that does make sense

i just wanted to make sure it wasn;t mechanical, like the motors installed upside down or something

i will ask them to check the blower wiring though

I can tell you though, after limping home twice having the second motor is handier than a shirt pocket

I am contemplating installing a kicker on the 22 classic in case of emergencies

does anyone know where i might find one of those motor mounts like on a sailbote so i can lift it right out of the water to eliminate drag??

cutwater
07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I can tell you though, after limping home twice having the second motor is handier than a shirt pocket

Tell me about it. Installing a trolling motor and foredeck bucket seat on the Minx was the best mod I ever made.

I would just say you ran into some bad luck on the pulleys, unless they are not aligned properly or the belts are too tight.

VetteLT193
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I figured it to be just junk materials, or dried out

the boat has sat for a while so that does make sense

i just wanted to make sure it wasn;t mechanical, like the motors installed upside down or something

i will ask them to check the blower wiring though

I am contemplating installing a kicker on the 22 classic in case of emergencies

does anyone know where i might find one of those motor mounts like on a sailbote so i can lift it right out of the water to eliminate drag??

if it sat the problems usually are random, odd, but you'll work them out pretty quick... I'd say most of the problems will be solved over the first 2 years of use. J/K. a few more outings and you'll be good to go:wink:

On a slightly related note I have a friend that is selling a power lift swim platform for a jet ski / dingy off of a cruiser. you might be interested in it, $6k, originally $28k. At least you could tow yourself back in:doh:

roadtrip se
07-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Your on to something here... I would recommend something in about a 50cc by Tohatsu, or your favorite, Force.

Another idea might be to try a trolling motor mounted up on the front deck, for that get-me-home, back-up, secure feeling. You could use some of those tie downs the truckers put on their flatbeds, just to keep everything snuggly in place at 80+, just string them from rub rail to rub rail across the nose.

Of course anything you mount on the blackhawk must utilize annondized or powdercoated hardware, or risk the wrath of the bling police.

Can't offer much real advice on the pulley dilema. I have had everything else fall off or self-destruct over a life time of boating, but never this. Of course, now it will happen. I would suggest something off of ebay with a little rust. Replace cheap junk with cheap junk, I say, not to mention why buy new when you can rehab something, save a buck, and look forward to executing a repair procedure every time you venture away from the docks?

Motor oil? Whatever grade and brand that Walmarts has on sale works for me. The generic stuff is awesome and a change every two or three years is all you need after all.

Props? Cleaver all the way baby. Why mess with something that works? Can you get two cleavers on a Blackhawk drive?

Kind of The Big Deal...

gcarter
07-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Your on to something here... I would recommend something in about a 50cc by Tohatsu, or your favorite, Force.
Another idea might be to try a trolling motor mounted up on the front deck, for that get-me-home, back-up, secure feeling. You could use some of those tie downs the truckers put on their flatbeds, just to keep everything snuggly in place at 80+, just string them from rub rail to rub rail across the nose.
Of course anything you mount on the blackhawk must utilize annondized or powdercoated hardware, or risk the wrath of the bling police.
Can't offer much real advice on the pulley dilema. I have had everything else fall off or self-destruct over a life time of boating, but never this. Of course, now it will happen. I would suggest something off of ebay with a little rust. Replace cheap junk with cheap junk, I say, not to mention why buy new when you can rehab something, save a buck, and look forward to executing a repair procedure every time you venture away from the docks?
Motor oil? Whatever grade and brand that Walmarts has on sale works for me. The generic stuff is awesome and a change every two or three years is all you need after all.
Props? Cleaver all the way baby. Why mess with something that works? Can you get two cleavers on a Blackhawk drive?
Kind of The Big Deal...
The rustier the better, and whatever you do, FOLLOW THE MANUAL!

Anonymous restorer of vintage bits and pieces

BUIZILLA
07-25-2008, 04:36 PM
I think I need to find some two cycle oil....

lot's of it...

:shocking: :cool:

CHACHI
07-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I think I need to find some two cycle oil....

lot's of it...

:shocking: :cool:
Let me know.

Ken

glashole
07-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I was less correct than i thought

the pulleys in question were plastic

RedDog
07-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I was less correct than i thought

the pulleys in question were plastic

at least that rules out rust :doh:

do you keep your hatch open a lot and expose the pulleys to UV radiation? Or maybe have a tanning bed below decks?

glashole
07-30-2008, 07:24 AM
no to the hatch being open too much

I didn't even know there where motors down there until something went wrong and tina showed me

I have one of the pulleys i will take a picture this am and post it

The Hedgehog
07-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Tell me about it. Installing a trolling motor and foredeck bucket seat on the Minx was the best mod I ever made.

I would just say you ran into some bad luck on the pulleys, unless they are not aligned properly or the belts are too tight.

I used the trolling motor tabs instead of K planes on the 26. I used high output electric motors. When I am running along at high speed I can drop the tabs and turn them on. That is usually good for an extra 3 mph. Not having a trolling motor on the front really cleans up the area around the stripper pole.

cutwater
07-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Not having a trolling motor on the front really cleans up the area around the stripper pole.

I thought you and Eddie spent the last six months with your trolling motor on the dyno! Forgive me if 945 hp now seems just a little bit less impressive.

faverod
07-31-2008, 03:12 PM
You can get a replacement at a chevy dealer, the recommendation from Merc for the discontinued plastic pulley is the larger diameter metal pulley. It's been a year or so but if I remember right it's like 5 1/4" in diameter, about $30-$40 at the Chevy dealer. You'll need a new belt too, helpfull hint, once you get the new pulley on use a piece of twine to run the belts path and then mark it and bring it with you to the parts store to get a replacement.

boxy
07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Obviously you want to quit using the oil you currently have since it's making the pulleys fall off..
And I believe your blower is wired backwards..
How are your tomatoes growing?
The idler pulley is a maintenance item, the bearings are basically chinese junk.. EASY to get from Merc, your dealer is apparently not a big deal ;) :D

After you have gotten rid of the plastic junk, make sure your new metal pulley's are shimmed correctly ..... :smash: :smash: