PDA

View Full Version : Soda ash blasting

ZekesterbluH3
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Previous owner put on bottom paint, some type of antifouling as the boat was kept in the water (fresh water)...some came off with a power washer...it looks like crap. The boat sits on a colour matched Eagle trailer, so it has the potential to really look great if I can get it cleaned up...

I'm thinking soda ash blasting...but only have seen it done to remove paint prior to some other paint going on. Can it be plasted down to the gelcoat,then the gelcoat be polished/wet sanded back to original??

MOP
07-24-2008, 10:09 PM
I would go with a stripper instead, the blast media no matter how gentile will require sanding and a ton of elbow grease.

Phil

ZekesterbluH3
07-24-2008, 10:16 PM
ok...I've used the citrus based stuff, but only on wood and metal...what stripper will eat paint, but not gelcoat?

ZekesterbluH3
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
sorry, googled it, found many stripper's that claim not to hurt gelcoat....

MOP
07-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Always work up wind of that stuff and or wear a decent chem mask, I have had a few of my guys get sickish over the years.

gcarter
07-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Fortunately bottom paint responds pretty well to strippers.
Oven cleaner works as well as any and is a lot cheaper plus it's aerosol instead of brushing it on.
I did my old Minx's bottom w/stripper on the trailer. I blocked the boat up w/4 X 4's on top of the bunks so I could reach all the bottom. It did make a mess of the trailer. You're better off using some dollies. Dollies are a good investment anyway. If you need a source holler.

ZekesterbluH3
07-25-2008, 08:22 PM
What about lifting it from the lifting eyes, then blocking it?

I picked up some soy stripper, supposed to work really nice...only one coat, and cleans up with water, expensive, but I only want to get under it once....

gcarter
07-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Bottom paint is pretty thick...don't be surprised if there's several coats on it and if it doesn't clean up all at once.
You can block it as described. Just be careful.:eek!: