PDA

View Full Version : 95 Mph and climbing

The Hedgehog
07-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Ok 94.8.:eek!:

Its got more. I will have to wait for one of those special days. Like when I feel like strapping on a 5 blade and breaking my drive.

Eddie feels that it may very well break triple digits.

smbarcelow
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Wow!

MOP
07-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Sonny Boy you are scaring me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutwater
07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
More? Good grief.

That is awesome...

mrfixxall
07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Who was the poor sucker taking the pic whyle moving down the highway at that speed:biggrin.:

you have done a nice job their hedge,,i think its time for a NXT drive..

Conquistador_del_mar
07-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Ok 94.8.:eek!:

Its got more. I will have to wait for one of those special days. Like when I feel like strapping on a 5 blade and breaking my drive.

Eddie feels that it may very well break triple digits.

Bill,
That is outrageous! :worthy: Wasn't your original goal in the high 80s? How does it feel at nearly 100MPH? Any chine walk along the way up? What drive are you running? I know, so many questions. By the way, I haven't forgotten that you need the SS rod and nuts for your 18'. Bill

osur866
07-25-2008, 01:52 AM
:thewave: Way to go :rock: very nice. Steve

glashole
07-25-2008, 06:00 AM
:nilly: :):smash: :):):) :pimp:

Mr X
07-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Soon you'll be able to catch Ted :) :)
He is already much faster than me! http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/corky/corkysm55.gif
Nicely done Bill!

Firehawk853
07-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Siiiiiiick!!!

ITTLFLI
07-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Excellent!

:rock:

chappy
07-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Nice.:cool:

BUIZILLA
07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
hmmmmm...

it's Friday...

aren't the bass boat races tonight?

run down to the Hwy 70 bridge about 5pm, by Sligo docks, and wait for 'em...

that's what i'd do... :)

Barry Eller
07-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey Mister, you have a fast boat!!!:yippie::checkered::hi5:

We need a video...with sound!

The Hedgehog
07-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys. It has exceeded my expectations too.

Eddie was driving. The boat drives like it is on rails until it gets out of shape and when it does you don't drive through it. It did not get out of shape on the 95 mph pass but did on the following pass. I had the same thing happen to me last weekend at 90. John Hamrick drove my boat and described it as a caged animal. It will turn on you. Running above 85 is for special times. Really much above 80 and side wakes will get it hopping around. In the 70's you can use power and steering to correct it. You might be able to pull that off at higher speeds with more experience but the problems that may arise if you don't become serious.

One thing to understand is that we have yet to use ANY tab input. I think that it is important to be able to drive your boat without them. That being said, I am on the lookout for some nice planes as it is pretty obvious that it will need them to keep things settled down in confused water. Another need, trim on the throttle.

I will also be doing some prop testing. I think that cleaner handling and lower slip can be obtained. For now, I plan to enjoy the boat and do some serious learning. Until I build some more experience, slip is probably a good thing. It is good to know that I can safely blow by most boats without working. On the other hand, there are a few boats on my lake that are faster. Much faster. I guess that it is all relative.

Firehawk853
07-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Hey Mister, you have a fast boat!!!:yippie::checkered::hi5:

We need a video...with sound!

:smash: x2!

The Hedgehog
07-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Who was the poor sucker taking the pic whyle moving down the highway at that speed:biggrin.:
you have done a nice job their hedge,,i think its time for a NXT drive..

We actually had to use the boat. The 5 oclock traffic in Nashville was too much in Eddie's truck. We were only able to safely get high 80's there:doh:

You are probably right on the NXT or something. I am pretty sure that the XR is not totally happy at 5,800

catch 22
07-25-2008, 07:46 AM
:thewave:::worthy: Nicely done.

The Hedgehog
07-25-2008, 07:47 AM
He is already much faster than me! :wink: :wink:
Nicely done Bill!

Thanks.

I probably don't even want to know how fast you are running:eek!: Whatever it is, I could not imagine it in a 22 and a very light one at that.

Last Real Texan
07-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys. It has exceeded my expectations too.
Eddie was driving. The boat drives like it is on rails until it gets out of shape and when it does you don't drive through it. It did not get out of shape on the 95 mph pass but did on the following pass. I had the same thing happen to me last weekend at 90. Jim Hamrick drove my boat and described it as a caged animal. It will turn on you. Running above 85 is for special times. Really much above 80 and side wakes will get it hopping around. In the 70's you can use power and steering to correct it. You might be able to pull that off at higher speeds with more experience but the problems that may arise if you don't become serious.
One thing to understand is that we have yet to use ANY tab input. I think that it is important to be able to drive your boat without them. That being said, I am on the lookout for some nice planes as it is pretty obvious that it will need them to keep things settled down in confused water. Another need, trim on the throttle.
I will also be doing some prop testing. I think that cleaner handling and lower slip can be obtained. For now, I plan to enjoy the boat and do some serious learning. Until I build some more experience, slip is probably a good thing. It is good to know that I can safely blow by most boats without working. On the other hand, there are a few boats on my lake that are faster. Much faster. I guess that it is all relative.
I some what agree with the no Tab input statement for driving the boat as far as speed and control but remember Tabs were invented to enable boats to run FAST and SAFE...almost every fast boat out there requires some tab input to be stable and fast now I am talking over 25 ft and a v bottom , two words that need to go together FAST $ SAFE without any question. You said the boat gets out of shape in a hurry with cross wakes and some wave action, well heck any boat will in the size range we are in will do that as well, mine included unfortunatly. I am pleased with your results if not actually blown away by the speed as you are as well i'm sure. Now the only way I am going to get past you is in the rough or when your drive goes BOOM. Enjoy it Bill you have had a long road to get here and everyone likes to see a plan come together. Can't wait to go for a ride in the red rocket! I'm keeping an eye out for some tabs for you....280's or 380's whatever it takes....
and the crowd goes wild!
Tex

The Hedgehog
07-25-2008, 02:30 PM
I some what agree with the no Tab input statement for driving the boat as far as speed and control but remember Tabs were invented to enable boats to run FAST and SAFE...almost every fast boat out there requires some tab input to be stable and fast now I am talking over 25 ft and a v bottom , two words that need to go together FAST $ SAFE without any question. You said the boat gets out of shape in a hurry with cross wakes and some wave action, well heck any boat will in the size range we are in will do that as well, mine included unfortunatly. I am pleased with your results if not actually blown away by the speed as you are as well i'm sure. Now the only way I am going to get past you is in the rough or when your drive goes BOOM. Enjoy it Bill you have had a long road to get here and everyone likes to see a plan come together. Can't wait to go for a ride in the red rocket! I'm keeping an eye out for some tabs for you....280's or 380's whatever it takes....
and the crowd goes wild!
Tex

I just hope that it does not go BOOM soon!:eek!: I am pretty sure that if I hold it open long enough to make 100 it will blow. I have no intention of writing a check to make that point these days:shocking:

Yes, definately tabs. From what I remember K-planes were listed as one of Powerboats top 10 most significant contribution to performance boating. I would agree that all single engine boats get squirrly above 90. I have seen some video of those 130 mph single engine boats. They all seem to have 60 inch tabs.

Now I am heading out to wait for those bass boats. I will be good to go as long as the guy in the Black Bullet does not show up. He has big ones!

The Hedgehog
07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Here is the drive. It does not look quite as important as Tex's SC. The good news is that after 10 hours it is still in good shape. It is a new XR Upper with an IMCO lower (1.25" shaft). The lower has the IMCO torsional shaft. It has a billet top cap.

I have one of the big Revolution Marine drive bottles and monitor the drive fluid expansion. So far the expansion has been minimal. Both the drive and engine oil gets changed every 10 hours.

Oh yeah, the Billet top cap has an integrated drive shower. I am pretty sure that is what gets me from 90 to 95:doh:

lildogcustoms
07-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Hedge that's incredible.... That's some serious get up and go...I would love to see the look on the faces of those big boys with twins as you blow by or better yet pull up, wave and walk off:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:!!! AWESOME...

BigGrizzly
07-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't want to be the one to tell you this but that cut down bravoI is not the best choice. when we get done with Tex's it will be time for you. Just be safe and learn the boat. Until then you have done a great job. You may even have to put spacers in that drive, but time will tell.

The Hedgehog
07-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't want to be the one to tell you this but that cut down bravoI is not the best choice. when we get done with Tex's it will be time for you. Just be safe and learn the boat. Until then you have done a great job. You may even have to put spacers in that drive, but time will tell.

Thanks Griz. That means a lot since you have boldly gone where few others have tread and that was back in the day when high 70's was fast.

I totally agree that better options may exist. I did lose the cut down prop for a stock 32. I hit a point that I had to grab what I could and enjoy the rest of the summer.

My plan is to enjoy the boat for now and learn it more. I am anxious to see what you and Tex put together. My hull is very similar to his on the running surface (minus the back strake). I ran with a standard length IMCO as opposed to a shorty since I learned that others with really high props were having issues at high speed. I feel that was a good choice. That being said, I am willing to try both spacers and shortys to get the right combo.

I am confident that you and Tex will break the 90 mph level in his boat. That speaks volumes since he turns his own wrenches. My hat is off to Tex since he has taken a 27ZX to 90. IMO that is an even bigger feat than my 95.

BlownCrewCab
07-25-2008, 05:37 PM
I Know someone will want to punch me in the stomach for this, But If that was my boat and I was going to add bigger tabs, I'd move them inboard about 12" per side. when that boat is honkin along at 90+ the chine mounted tabs are probably 8" out of the water, to have enough tab input to matter they'd have a bit too much Down angle which can hurt handling more than help and even cause a chine walk that would make you Sh*t your pants. Moving them inboard, the closer you get them to the water level(at speed) the more benificial they'll be, small tab inputs will make good changes. I agree driving and learning without them is good idea that way you learn where the limits of the hull are (not the hull with trim tabs). putting longer tabs in that stock location isn't the ticket either, though it'll be less of an angle I think it's still too much.

rtgogo
07-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Very Nice!! Congrats on the speed!! Be careful!!.....I'm counting on your help with mine this winter!! Again...very impressive.:eek!::eek!::eek!: I know it's been a labor of love and to achieve those kinda results has gotta make ya grin ear to ear....:shocking::shocking::shocking: (Video would be sick....) Enjoy!

The Hedgehog
07-26-2008, 08:13 AM
I Know someone will want to punch me in the stomach for this, But If that was my boat and I was going to add bigger tabs, I'd move them inboard about 12" per side. when that boat is honkin along at 90+ the chine mounted tabs are probably 8" out of the water, to have enough tab input to matter they'd have a bit too much Down angle which can hurt handling more than help and even cause a chine walk that would make you Sh*t your pants. Moving them inboard, the closer you get them to the water level(at speed) the more benificial they'll be, small tab inputs will make good changes. I agree driving and learning without them is good idea that way you learn where the limits of the hull are (not the hull with trim tabs). putting longer tabs in that stock location isn't the ticket either, though it'll be less of an angle I think it's still too much.

I took at a look at the current location and can see a point to what you are saying. Before I do anything I will probably shoot some video of the stern at speed. Maybe I can get together with Tex and Co while they are dialing in his beast. That would probably be a good excercise.

kramsay1234
07-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Would really enjoy seeing a video of said beast, even at 85mph. 95mph is just awesome, but not for the faint at heart for sure. I like speed with the safe factor and like you would enjoy having someone else drive my boat up to 95mph before I would want to go out and do it with myself behind the wheel. Where is a thread I can see a full pic of the boat without the cover? It looks like a nice subtle graphics pkg.

Pismo
07-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Details please! What boat, engine etc...

Last Real Texan
07-26-2008, 08:46 AM
I was reading over on boat freaks and Eddie said 19% slip so it should break 100 once it hooks up....Now go run it!

Tex

BigGrizzly
07-26-2008, 08:49 AM
B cab you are correct and not so correct at the same time. Tabs are not rocker plates. what we are looking at is water spray ricochet effect from the hull, which if wider has a better stabilizing and less cannibalistic effect on speed and trim. However the with from the center line really depends on the hull. Hedg, thanks for the compliment but I had a lot of help from some really great people.

Last Real Texan
07-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Would really enjoy seeing a video of said beast, even at 85mph. 95mph is just awesome, but not for the faint at heart for sure. I like speed with the safe factor and like you would enjoy having someone else drive my boat up to 95mph before I would want to go out and do it with myself behind the wheel. Where is a thread I can see a full pic of the boat without the cover? It looks like a nice subtle graphics pkg.
I have video of it @ 85 MPH doing a fly by but I am out of town until Wednesday, in Vegas of all places, and will post it when I return....

Tex

The Hedgehog
07-26-2008, 09:06 AM
It is a 26ZX. Here are a couple of pics.

I threw in a pic of Tex's boat too. All the hot women like to pose down with Tex's boat. I am not really sure who is the bigger chick magnet: Tex, the boat or Tex's son Carter. So far I am thinking Carter.

SilverBack
07-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Bill.....Way to go!!! Congrats!!!! I know that you are happy!!! I knew that you would get up there in that range. Nice job!!!

BlownCrewCab
07-26-2008, 05:00 PM
BigGriz, I was thinking of putting them about 1" above the running surface (To Avoid the rocker plate action, I was never a believer in them) The reason I'd move them inboard was to get them closer to the waters surface at that speed. (I'm sure you already know this) at that speed the chine is well out of the water. Years ago I was lucky enough to race and Throttle the "HogsBreath" 26 Corsa, it ran 85-90mph had the tabs out at the chine in the standard location and when going that fast they made the chinewalk worse (if you put them down at all) Then Scott Mander built the same boat for a Ciropractor from sarasota "Subluxator" was it's name. He moved the Tabs inboard about a foot, raised them a little and that thing was a friggin bullit in the smooth water, while we'd be chine walking, holding our breath(thinking it may be our last) They could have had ****tails and cheese. I know the corsa's are a 24Degree hull while the Donzi in question is 22 at best. I think if you going to build it for speed-Build it for safe speed. or wear helmets and Jackets everytime out. I know you know your stuff, I just thought I'd give you that Comparison.

Donziweasel
07-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Hedgehog, just curious, how many rpm's are you turning at 95mph? Great job on the project, I am jealous! Got to get to AOTH next year just so I might talk ya into a ride. Beers on me!:)

Last Real Texan
07-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Hedgehog, just curious, how many rpm's are you turning at 95mph? Great job on the project, I am jealous! Got to get to AOTH next year just so I might talk ya into a ride. Beers on me!:)
I think he told me 5700-5800

The Hedgehog
07-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I think he told me 5700-5800

That is about right. Lots of slip. It is probably a good thing for me now. It should break 100 with a better prop. It was climbing at 0.5 mph on the gps when Eddie pulled back. When I squeezed it in the high 80's it did the same.

Come to AOTH and bring a Lifeline Jacket.

BTW, I am getting my new pup Roger a Hedgehog tomorrow. They were out the last time I was at the store. I think that there was a run on those.

Barry Eller
07-27-2008, 05:56 AM
BTW, I am getting my new pup Roger a Hedgehog tomorrow. They were out the last time I was at the store. I think that there was a run on those.
Here is a link to some Hedgehog photos and a video of a Hedgehog in a bath tub...the women talking to the Hedgehog in the bathtub...well...kinda silly...
http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/hedgehogs/index.html

BigGrizzly
07-27-2008, 09:05 AM
B cab, I under stand your point and don't really disagree. The 1 inch above the running surface is actually not a bad idea and I am sure you had the scope to deal with the high tabs. Thanks for your input and detail all information is good. Hedg and Tex are on uncharted water at this point, this is the fun part and a learning experience.

kramsay1234
07-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Very nice boat. Was just what I was hoping it was going to look like...

little nkd without the decoration from the first pic. You will have to work on that.

It is a 26ZX. Here are a couple of pics.

I threw in a pic of Tex's boat too. All the hot women like to pose down with Tex's boat. I am not really sure who is the bigger chick magnet: Tex, the boat or Tex's son Carter. So far I am thinking Carter.

The Hedgehog
07-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Very nice boat. Was just what I was hoping it was going to look like...

little nkd without the decoration from the first pic. You will have to work on that.

Yes, younger Bill decorated his boat well in the day. The wife does not think that is as funny these days. Where did all of her hot friends go?

Just got back from a Sun afternoon spin. That boat runs great. It just fires and idles around the dock like a regular 502 MPI. It just does not sound like one anymore. It is a real treat cruising around at 60 and just giving it a good squeeze. You see 80 in no time. Good fun without opening it up.

The Hedgehog
07-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Very Nice!! Congrats on the speed!! Be careful!!.....I'm counting on your help with mine this winter!! Again...very impressive.:eek!::eek!::eek!: I know it's been a labor of love and to achieve those kinda results has gotta make ya grin ear to ear....:shocking::shocking::shocking: (Video would be sick....) Enjoy!

I look forward to helping you spend some dollars this winter.

It wont take much to make yours a screamer!

BigGrizzly
07-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Bryan, sounds like your just where you wanted to be. This is the big step to real joy in boating. I will be in touch. As For Bill and the paint and girls as you know when you get married things change. You get involved with personal stuff(boats etc) and family in a way that not much else matters. Its not a bad place to be.:) I am happy with my situation.

rtgogo
07-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I look forward to helping you spend some dollars this winter.

It wont take much to make yours a screamer!

Never-ending list of upgrades is gunna drag down Santa's sled...:cool: