PDA

View Full Version : Corsican Power

mphatc
07-24-2008, 07:47 PM
This is what I've been up to for over the past year.
Ford 302
J&E 10.5 :1
AFR heads CNC'd and Dart Coated
Bullet roller cam
Crane Competition Gold roller rockers
Eagle steel crank
Forged rods
Clevite bearings . .
CMI headers . .which are the biggest PIA to install on these heads.
To remove spark plugs I'll need to pull the headers!
Air Gap with a Holley 650
MSD Distributor
Remote filter, Oil Cooler and Thermostat added.
I switched the accessories over to serpentine style belts, manually tensioned on custom brackets. The rocker covers were anodized to Ford Blue, but the color did not take . . I'll redo these next winter.
So why did it take a year, ask CMI . . Ford small block stuff is low on their list. I hope to complete the details in the next week, and then launch it . .
Mario L.

DonziChris
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Very nice installation, sure would not want to pull exhaust for a plug change though.

Forrest
07-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Nice F-word power. Big Grizz will be impressed!

cutwater
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Looks good Mario. Were the headers full-custom? Or is it a standard item that they don't keep much of in stock?

gcarter
07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Looks nice Mario!:eek!:
Is the thingie outboard of the cooler and filter the oil thermostat? And if so, tell me the details.

mphatc
07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Thank you for all the kind words!

The headers are a "standard" item, but CMI was sold last year to Mercury Marine, and between inventory time, holidays, and a huge production run of Merc's big block stock headers my one off SBF E-tops fell to the bottom of the list. Partially because I also have the AFR heads with different exhaust port shapes and the spark plug location is altered. This required a custom adapter plate as CMIs do not bolt to the head.
Also the reason for the difficulty in changing plugs . .
The oil thermostat is an Earls piece :
http://tinyurl.com/6aq8f9
I chose this over a bimetallic spring type as I use this type on race engines all the time, and like the reliability.
What I haven't added yet is a pressure relief valve for the cooling system . . as I believe the raw water pump will deliver way more flow and pressure than the T-stat can control. Thoughts from all welcomed!
Mario

olredalert
07-25-2008, 05:12 PM
------Almost no need to tell you what I think, Mario!!! The boat and engine look really great. What MPH are you doing now???............Bill S

cutwater
07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
What I haven't added yet is a pressure relief valve for the cooling system . . as I believe the raw water pump will deliver way more flow and pressure than the T-stat can control. Thoughts from all welcomed!
Mario

This spring I bought a pressure relief valve and T-fitting for around $100 total (I think) from Hardin Marine while I was re-plumbing my setup. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary in my app., but it's good peace of mind.

By the way, do you still have the GT40 heads for sale?

MOP
07-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Oop's late on this one, you said it would be running this weekend and maybe wet. It does look really nice!
There is a ton of pressure relief info up on Boat Freaks & OSO, many of them are trying to keep it down around 20psi. They feel that the Merc unit is set to high at @30psi and keeps to much pressure in the system. Most any head gasket even the best will eventually weep, the fire rings keep it out of the cylinders but the out perimeters still weep into the lifter valley's and down the sides of the block. There are other on relief valves out there, another possible plus will be reducing back pressure in the exhaust. Did not notice are you running a strainer? You will need one to keep junk out of the relief valve.

Phil

mphatc
07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
This spring I bought a pressure relief valve and T-fitting for around $100 total (I think) from Hardin Marine while I was re-plumbing my setup. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary in my app., but it's good peace of mind.

By the way, do you still have the GT40 heads for sale?

Cutwater,

Thank you, I will look into the pressure relief valve . .and yes I have the GT 40 P heads available.

Call me at my shop EST 9-5 603-228-2888

Bill, No idea how fast she'll run . . . not yet! I need to sort everything out, and play with props . .

Mario

ChristopherL
08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
The photos make the engine bay look cavernous... seeing it in person (or being the lucky one elected to wedge into the bay, under the headers) proves otherwise!

I think we'd like to see if we can get the boat into the water by Sunday. Depends on how much assistance I can provide dear ol Dad!

Plenty of action shots & launch photos will be taken once it's in the water again.

-Chris L.
(Defacto photographer & recovery boat captain) :tongue:

boldts
08-03-2008, 03:50 AM
Mario, engine looks fantastic! I was wondering though. Is that a hydraulic steering set-up from the inside of the boat? Still runing a Volvo behind it or did you switch to a Merc set-up? Can't remember from the last time I saw the boat down in FL at the Homecoming gathering what it had.

mphatc
08-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Boldts, Thank you for the compliment!
yes it has a Mercruiser Bravo now, I replaced the transom 3 years ago and set it up with the SB Ford. . .maybe I should have switched to a Chevy then . . life would be a lot simpler!!

Mario