PDA

View Full Version : Tough job, but someone's got to do it!

Tony
07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
We're house-sitting for my cousin in Santa Barbara, California. The house overlooks the Pacific and is 1/4 mile from a public beach. (The pic below with the paragliders...) This is our first time out here on the left coast, and it is spectacular! This town controls growth, so there is no traffic or parking overcrowding. Many beach choices, and all of them are awesome. The Spanish/Mission/Zorro history is interesting, the courthouse in SB is an architectural marvel. Also, it seems as if everyone either bikes, jogs, walks, kayaks, surfs, or otherwise participates in some physical activity.

We've taken several drives, and the way they construct huge homes right onto the side of a mountain is fascinating. Of course, the cost of these homes is unbelievable. On the other end of the spectrum, even a brand new single-wide manufactured home sells for $300k! Wine country (and tasting!) was cool, Fess Parker (aka Daniel Boone) is 84 and you can meet him every Thursday in a Los Olivos cafe...if you wanted to.

The hippies and the homeless are also out here, as evidenced by the vehicles below. Every Sunday morning since 2004 a group sets up something called Arlington West, with about 3,000 crosses erected to represent and honor the soldiers lost in Iraq.

The rocky, driftwood covered beach below is Rincon Point, made famous in part due to the cult classic surfing movie Endless Summer. The beach is quaint, complete with a rustic hut, and with the right conditions you can ride a wave for almost a mile. Another pic below shows guys on paddleboards, kind of a new thing, they are bigger boards but still catch waves well.

Dang...it's hard work having this much fun!

:beer:

gold-n-rod
07-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Nice, but your Donzi is collecting dust while you act like tourists!!!!!

PS: Who is the elderly couple standing next to the rose bushes???? :smash::smash::smash::smash::smash:

I know, I'm going to pay for that crack, but I couldn't resist. You kids have fun and hurry home..... there's gasoline to be burned! :wink:

CHACHI
07-25-2008, 06:05 AM
I see Cherrie is carring home the "spoils" of the day.

Have a wonderful time, but remember, your hair isn't blonde enough to move there.

Ken

Tony
07-25-2008, 02:49 PM
You better have quite a "nestegg" to move out here, Ken. I estimate that comparable homes cost 4 to 5 times than what they are in Michigan. Also, there are very few for sale...the opposite of what Michigan is going through right now!

Other than housing, the cost of living doesn't seem too bad, with food and even gas prices similar to the Great Lake State. Thirty years ago I might have moved out here, but like they often say..."it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live here!"

"beer"

MOP
07-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Looks like a great place, sure glad you are busy house watching! We needed some extra time to empty out your garage!!!:shocking:

BigGrizzly
07-28-2008, 11:09 AM
One of the reasons I have my dream house is because of the Cal home market. When I moved back here I made a bunch of dollars. To be honest, I am glade I left. As a friend a native California guy said if you don't know why you want to be here then it isn't the right place for you, he was correct. Honda moved about 100 people from California and only a couple want to go back. For a vacation it is nice. Be aware, from north to south it is all different.