PDA

View Full Version : Engine Coupler Bad???

TBroccoli
07-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Can an engine coupler slowly go bad? Is the burnt rubber smell I get after a 40mph run coming from the coupler. 454 magnum in a 22 Classic. I can run 65mph. I can pull tubers, I have a good hole shot. Boat runs great but I still get the burn rubber smell. Changed belts. Replaced thermostat. good raw water impeller and water flow. Risers and manifolds are clean and clear. What could it be???? Help - Poker Run next week.

BlownCrewCab
07-24-2008, 12:14 PM
The drive alignment could be going bad, that would start your coupler problem and give you a burnt rubber smell. I think if the coupler has already slipped you wouldn't have a holeshot or be able to go 65mph. but it's probably going bad.

gcarter
07-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Maybe it's time to clean and paint your engine compartment! LOL:smash:

Morgan's Cloud
07-24-2008, 01:32 PM
You are certain that your risers aren't overheating before you go chasing other things ?

TBroccoli
07-25-2008, 06:56 AM
I had one riser hotter then the other. I pulled the hose at the thermostat and at the manifold. I flushet the hose and them put the garden hose to the manifold. I flushed it plenty of times. Nothing out of the norm came out. I took the riser off and it and the manifold were very clean and clear. Now one riser is running 118F and the other at 117F (ran in a water tank in the shop). Maybe I flushed out an obstruction. I will run it this weekend.

Drive alignment??? What can I do to check it?

gcarter
07-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Buy yourself an alignment tool on eBay, they are very inexpensive. Then buy an inexpensive Mercruiser manual at your local Merc dealer or bookstore. You'll be out $50-75 and you'll have everything you need, or need to know.

Morgan's Cloud
07-25-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm sceptical too about the coupler if you still have a hole shot and can go 65.

Have you checked thouroughly to make sure that you don't have any reciprocating parts touching any hoses or other rubber parts ?

TBroccoli
07-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I give up. It's going to the shop. My stbd manifold and riser are clear. New thermostat. i still get the burnt smell. I now get some smoke (steam??) from the stbd exhaust. My large hose from the thermostat housing is very hot. All others are cool. could the engine be getting hot and i would not know it because the temp gauge is in the thermostat housing?

gcarter
07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Does your thermostat housing have the little check balls in it?
I've never had one that did, but there was an incident a few years ago w/a member here that had sticking balls...LOL.
Has a definate negative effect on the cooling system.

TBroccoli
07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
I will check for the sticking ball. I'm not sure if it has a ball or not. It may explain the hot hose.