PDA

View Full Version : New to forum, new to Donzi...

ZekesterbluH3
07-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi all, I'm new to your site and new to Donzi boats. I've been a boat owner for 25 years, mostly Searays...and now have had a Donzi show up on my doorstep.

I'm unfamiliar with the boat, and from what I've read, there doesn't seem to be many of this model around...I'm just throwing this out there as af eeler for information on what I have.

It's a 1986 21' Hornet III, 330 Hp merc, TRS drive, borg warner transmission. The boat is a cream colour, blue sides and blue stripe with red pinstripe down the centre. White seats, bench seat in front, bench with curved backs in the back.

I'm trying to bring this boat back to life, it has been sitting for some time, and needs some major TLC...

Just for interest, anyone have any idea of how many were made? What years were Hornet IIIs built?

Any help or comments would certainly be appreciated...

Firehawk853
07-23-2008, 10:25 PM
post some pics :yes:

ZekesterbluH3
07-23-2008, 10:29 PM
I will when I can, picture a blue Hornet III, badly faded gelcoat, grey seats that were once white, windshield in a billion pieces...but a clean engine compartment, and a big honking TRS hanging of the back...

Team Jefe
07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
welcome aboard. I know nothing about Hornets so I won't be any help to you, but many here are in teh know...also do a search, hyou ill find some good info.

MOP
07-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I will when I can, picture a blue Hornet III, badly faded gelcoat, grey seats that were once white, windshield in a billion pieces...but a clean engine compartment, and a big honking TRS hanging of the back...

Be careful how you verbalize TRS!!! They are a very respected unit with a few true TRS lovers on this board. Check the tranny it might be a Merc unit, the Borg units push the engine forward quite a bit.

Phil

ZekesterbluH3
07-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Be careful how you verbalize TRS!!! They are a very respected unit with a few true TRS lovers on this board. Check the tranny it might be a Merc unit, the Borg units push the engine forward quite a bit.

Phil

haha I meant "Honking" as a compliment and description to the sheer size and durability of the drive...

'honking" by no means infers any disrespect : )

Rodger
07-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Check the tranny it might be a Merc unit, the Borg units push the engine forward quite a bit.
Phil

This is what I was wondering about. It would also be very unusual for a 330 HP to be mated to a BW trans. Merctrans is the norm for that engine.

BERTRAM BOY
07-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Hornet III's were built between 82-86.

olredalert
07-24-2008, 08:50 AM
------What you have lucked into is pretty much the last of the Hornet line. Personally, I have only seen a handful of these late ones. Am more familiar with the 19s, but this 21 is pretty much the same, just longer. I can tell you, however, that your boat has a bit less degree to the "V" than the rest of the DONZI line. It also has a lot of freeboard, is fairly beamy, and has a bunch of flair up front. The combo of these things, along with the weight make for a very dry, very stable ride. The TRS is a bonus, although some here on the board might say it isnt. The trans might still have the electric shift if its the Merc unit. If it does and if it works it produces an almost seemless shift. If it doesnt work you can convert it to a manual shift, or it may have already been converted. If the engine is still stock it has boat anchors for exhaust manifolds. Center-risers work much better. There are many to choose from. Hope this helps. Get us some pics. We love that stuff.........Bill S

ZekesterbluH3
07-24-2008, 02:15 PM
I'll add pics to this thread tomorrow...and get a better look at he transmission etc...

ZekesterbluH3
07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Hull # is DMR 21104J586, and it does have a Borg Warner Velvet Glide, model #10-17-016.....

ZekesterbluH3
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Very cool.. A lot the late production H-III's had the Borg. Must have been a nod to the weight or something...

When you say "alot"...how many? any idea of how many H3s were built?

Does the HIN tell you anything about the boat?

onesubdrvr
07-24-2008, 09:14 PM
When you say "alot"...how many? any idea of how many H3s were built?

Does the HIN tell you anything about the boat?
Some more than others,...

I'm one of the others that can't tell you anything,... but some know ;)

Wayne

ZekesterbluH3
07-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Wish me luck..today's the day I try to get her runnng...

first time...in....

9 years...