PDA

View Full Version : 89' Donzi Z-22?

YmeHP
07-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Hello, i'm looking at purchasing a 89' Donzi Z-22 w/ a SBC 350 and the seller says it has a Volvo outdrive. I haven't made the trip to look at the boat yet but was looking for some insight on the boat itself before going to look. Anyone have experience with a Z-22/Z-25 etc.

onesubdrvr
07-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Hello, i'm looking at purchasing a 89' Donzi Z-22 w/ a SBC 350 and the seller says it has a Volvo outdrive. I haven't made the trip to look at the boat yet but was looking for some insight on the boat itself before going to look. Anyone have experience with a Z-22/Z-25 etc.
Interesting combination for that boat, if memory serves me correctly, most came with OMC Cobra or Alpha's. The Volvo is a good drive. Is this a bow rider, or closed bow version?

Wayne

goose2125
07-22-2008, 08:27 PM
I have just recently purchased an 87 z21 and it has the alpha 1 gen 1 drive.

YmeHP
07-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Interesting combination for that boat, if memory serves me correctly, most came with OMC Cobra or Alpha's. The Volvo is a good drive. Is this a bow rider, or closed bow version?

Wayne

Yes, that's what I thought also as I have yet to see one with this combo. I know most Z-25's i've come across have the Ford 460 w/ the OMC. Also, it is a closed bow!

YmeHP
07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Ok, I looked at the boat but have a few questions! Excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to boats as i'm from ND and there isn't many boat fanatics up here. Anyways the boat does appears to have a Volvo outdrive, there is not any decals or such on the outdrive itself but it appears to have been repainted and by looking at my levers they look similar to a volvos. However, you can tell the stock OMC levers were replaced as the hole is visible where the levers once set. The transom? on the outside of the boat where the outdrive comes out from the hull does say OMC. Am I going to have any problems with this particular setup? does anyone have a recommended prop for this boat as it seems it takes forever for the boat to get out of the water with the current running gear.

harbormaster
07-25-2008, 05:36 PM
One of the coolest ones I have seen belongs Eric Shaw in Texas.

I shot this photo at Lake Travis.

Crystal Pro
09-07-2008, 06:02 PM
We just bought a "Z-22". We have been using it for several weeks now on Lake Tapps in Washington state. It has a new 454 FI FWC merc Brovo 1. I am looking forward to working on the cosmetics of the boat this winter. I love the combimation of speed and having the quite underwater exhaust for the family.

Ski Ya!

Donzigo
09-09-2008, 07:57 AM
OMC purchased Donzi during that time and used the Mercury engines to produce boats until they were gone from the warehouse. The set up was typically 350 w Alpha drives with the 1:50 to 1 or if early, the 1:30 to 1 drive ratio, The drives were changed to 1:50 after a year or so; because, the 1:30 to 1 could not handle the torque. As OMC began to run their versions of the Z-bots (21-25-33) through the factory, they changed the powerplant packages to the Ford engines with Cobra drive packages. They also discontinued the VDO instruments and the Perko parts and seat undercarraiges to a more cost effective version. Some have said that the boat was re-designed to cost less. The hulls are heavy and slow by today's standards; but, if you are looking for a classice desing paired with a good ride, this is the boat for you. I have owned a 1987 Z-25 and currently a 1989 Z-33 which I have rebuilt from the hull up.

The things to look out for with this era Donzi is soft spot around the transom and stringers. Take a ball pinned hammer and tap at the stringers where they meet the hull and around the inside of the transom where it meets the outdrive housing. If there are soft spots, they must be repaired if youwish to keep the boat long and plan to do your boating in challenging seas. Another concern is the fuel tank. If it is the original fuel tank, it will most certainly need to be replaced.

Older Donzi Z-boats are classics and have lots of eye appeal. But, if you are not prepared to attend to these issues, this is not the boat for you. Good luck with your boat purchase.

I do love this vintage of Donzi, as you can see.

BigGrizzly
09-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I will say they are a nice package.

jamieZ
09-11-2008, 07:59 AM
What's the difference between a Z21 and Z22? I thought i had a Z21, maybe it's a 22.I don't know. it's a 1988 and looks exactly like the yellow whatever in the picture from Harbourmaster.Jamie

RedDog
09-11-2008, 08:33 AM
What's the difference between a Z21 and Z22? I thought i had a Z21, maybe it's a 22.I don't know. it's a 1988 and looks exactly like the yellow whatever in the picture from Harbourmaster.Jamie

According to the model list - http://www.donzi.net/dlist/index.htm

Z21 - 1987 to 1988

Z22 - 1999 - 2001

jamieZ
09-12-2008, 08:51 AM
RedDog, that link doesn't work, I tried it.But all said, maybe my boat just grow a foot.Now I don't need to trade up.LOL. Jamie

RedDog
09-12-2008, 09:10 AM
link fixed - http://www.donzi.net/dlist/index.htm