PDA

View Full Version : High oil pressure and temp?

tamburello
07-22-2008, 08:04 AM
I was going out for a cruise after work yesterday and encountered a glitch. The engine fired right up without any trouble and seemed to be running great but about two minutes after backing off the trailer my alarm buzzer went off, never had that happen in 13 seasons with the boat. After about 20 seconds of buzzing it shut off.

I scanned the gauges and noticed the oil pressure was running higher than normal. It usually runs 20 PSI at idle and around 40 PSI at speed. Now it was running 40 PSI at idle. The temp came up to normal operating range oat 160 degrees and held there. I figured I'd run it a bit to see what would would happen. Through the no wake zone the oil pressure stayed at 40 and the temp remained at 160. I got on plane and eased the revs up to 4,500 and the oil pressure went up to 60 PSI and the temp started climbing rapidly. I slowed back down as the temp hit 190 and after a minute or two idling the temp came back down to 160. Not wanting to chance any damage I idled back and put it back on the trailer.

The oil level is full and doen't smell burnt. FYI - the engine is a '94 Merc 350 Mag Carb'd.

Any ideas as to what might be going on here? Thanks.

- Jeff

TBroccoli
07-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Could the oil filter be clogged? The alarm could also be drive oil level. Good luck.

mrfixxall
07-22-2008, 08:50 AM
ck your oil level! or did you put thicker oil in this year?

glashole
07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
sounds like you may have 2 separate things going on there

I would be more worried about the heat that the oil pressure

I have a pair of 350 mags carbed and they will run at 40 when idling, 60 when still a little chilly and running,

the warning buzzer would have stayed on if it was a continuous issue with something

start with a new impellor and go from there