PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Marine Exhaust

ky-donzi
07-21-2008, 07:45 PM
I picked up a new never used set of Eddie Marine manifolds on ebay couple weeks back. I got them super cheap, they have never been used, but are old. I know this because the water pass thru the manifold into the riser internally instead of using hoses. The fittings are there for the hoses but it also has internal passages.

Anyway they have the Aluminum risers with them. I plan to tig the passages up and machine the surfaces back down so I dont have to worry about water sepage around the gasket between the riser and the manifold.

My question is How about the stainless riser, how much better are they? Why would I need them? And I must keep my Silent Choise so will they be better or worse than the Aluminum risers

mrfixxall
07-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I picked up a new never used set of Eddie Marine manifolds on ebay couple weeks back. I got them super cheap, they have never been used, but are old. I know this because the water pass thru the manifold into the riser internally instead of using hoses. The fittings are there for the hoses but it also has internal passages.

Anyway they have the Aluminum risers with them. I plan to tig the passages up and machine the surfaces back down so I dont have to worry about water sepage around the gasket between the riser and the manifold.

My question is How about the stainless riser, how much better are they? Why would I need them? And I must keep my Silent Choise so will they be better or worse than the Aluminum risers

im running the same ones and still have the open water passages for 7 yrs nos now and never had any issues with them.as long as you use a good sealer on the gaskets you and retorque the risers after you first run them you wont have any issues either.. you will get more tirque out of the alunimum riser then you will with the ss risers and i do believe they flow water better through them then if you were to weld the water passages up.

Heres what they sound like,http://youtube.com/watch?v=dLdeNiyk0Ew

good luck with them.

BlownCrewCab
07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Instead of welding the passages closed couldn't you just make a stainless plate to block off the holes and use a gasket on top and one on the bottom (If I am correct about what your thinking) a Plate that has the exhaust hole, bolt holes, but no water passages. I have made plates before that go between the manifold and riser but it wasn't to stop the water, it was to change the angle of the tail pipe. I think you could do it pretty easy and resort back to original in a snap....

ky-donzi
07-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Mrfixxall

why the aluminum provide more torque than the stainless is it because they are slightly more restrictive for more bottom end? The reason that I was goin to weld them up is because that is how the new EMI systems are now. I assumed that it was better

Blowncrewcab

I could and I thought of that but then you still rely on gaskets to sill the surfaces, I guess that is how the factory merc stuff is, but it is cast iron which probably doesn't move as much as the aluminum. I just figd that since EMI stuff today rely totally on the external water hose that it would be the way to go.

mrfixxall
07-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Mrfixxall

why the aluminum provide more torque than the stainless is it because they are slightly more restrictive for more bottom end? The reason that I was goin to weld them up is because that is how the new EMI systems are now. I assumed that it was better

Blowncrewcab

I could and I thought of that but then you still rely on gaskets to sill the surfaces, I guess that is how the factory merc stuff is, but it is cast iron which probably doesn't move as much as the aluminum. I just figd that since EMI stuff today rely totally on the external water hose that it would be the way to go.

Yes! restriction will give you more torque..eddie wah having problems with the ss risers leaking because the water had no place to go but to build pressure against the riser and it would go into the center of the exhaust port and thats why they desided to weld them up.if you run the alunimum riser with the holes in it like all the factory risers then you wont have a problem,just remember to retorque then after you get them hot..in my eyes they flow more water through them the way yours are set up then that little 1/2'' hose they supply with them now..just my o2

ky-donzi
07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
thanks mrfixxall

I was just wondering the reasoning behind it. I'm going to wait till winter to put them on. unfortionally I didn't notice that they don't have accessory holes in the front of them like the merc ones do. My Procharger bolts to the boss on the end of the merc manifold so I will be welding on them anyway..... oh well

mrfixxall
07-22-2008, 09:49 PM
thanks mrfixxall

I was just wondering the reasoning behind it. I'm going to wait till winter to put them on. unfortionally I didn't notice that they don't have accessory holes in the front of them like the merc ones do. My Procharger bolts to the boss on the end of the merc manifold so I will be welding on them anyway..... oh well

BTW im running tha same manifolds and risers in my x with 434 hp and wingin the motor 6000+rpms for 7 yrs now and had no issues what so ever..good luck:)

ky-donzi
07-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I prolly got bout the same Hp just less RPM so I should be good for sure. I'm ready to get those boat anchors outa there. I figure that'll save me about 75 lbs off the stern.