fasttrucker
07-20-2008, 08:50 AM
day 2,....donzi side painted graffics are going away

fasttrucker
07-20-2008, 08:52 AM
pictures

gcarter
07-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Shoulda learned on a Bayliner before they turned him loose on the Donzi!!!:eek!::eek!:

fasttrucker
07-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Shoulda learned on a Bayliner before they turned him loose on the Donzi!!!:eek!::eek!:
The last owner of this Donzi had the boat on a lift and only 45.8 hours of engine use.He owns 4 boats and used this for his son to water ski/run around in.He paid big money at the boat yard to store/winterize/summer tune-up.When Iam finshed restoring it. It should be nice

BigGrizzly
07-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Do it right truck, and don't get carried away.

fasttrucker
07-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Do it right truck, and don't get carried away.
Iam thinking pro charger, hdy. steering,new bezels,livorsi side shifter,new prop,exhaust,steering wheel..............or maybe ill just save my money and use it the way it is.Iam not going to be fast any more.Just good-looking!:propeller:

BigGrizzly
07-20-2008, 10:00 AM
I was thinking more on you getting carried away on blue printing the hull:wink:

fasttrucker
07-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I was thinking more on you getting carried away on blue printing the hull:wink:
There are no cracks on the steps but i would have to be smoking crack to blueprint this run-about donzi.Alphia drive limits h.p. increases.:smash:

kramsay1234
07-20-2008, 11:41 AM
What a shame the fate the boat has had up until now. Was hard to look at those first set of pics. Good to see its gone to the right home and she will be restored to former glory. Will be a great looking boat. Keep the pics coming. Can't wait for more progress.:eek!:

The Hedgehog
07-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Nice project. I think it will make a nice boat. I am glad to see you are saving this boat.

ITTLFLI
07-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Good work!

I like the color!:wink:

FISHIN SUCKS
07-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Definitely making progress, looks good fast! cant wait to see the end result.

fasttrucker
07-24-2008, 12:43 PM
New pictures of the bottom and the broken rub-rail.The Donzi should be ready friday.The rub-rail will not get done in time as it has to be ordered.They want a min 22 feet order so we are working on getting a smaller pc. ordered.Also talking about swapping out the motor and alphia drive over the winter,Tony at C.M.S. Racing has a plan!:eek!:

The Hedgehog
07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
New pictures of the bottom and the broken rub-rail.The Donzi should be ready friday.The rub-rail will not get done in time as it has to be ordered.They want a min 22 feet order so we are working on getting a smaller pc. ordered.Also talking about swapping out the motor and alphia drive over the winter,Tony at C.M.S. Racing has a plan!:eek!:

It is good to have a plan!

fasttrucker
07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Here are new pictures of the Donzi,nice bottom+sides,Old fuel cap,New ****pit cover coming soon..I still have a lot of work to do! next-up clean the snap in carpet and go on the Jackson Poker Run this weekend!

The Hedgehog
07-30-2008, 03:45 PM
We want to hear more about "The Plan"

fasttrucker
07-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Pictures of new gas cap,****pit cover, finished boat with nice bottom:wink:

fasttrucker
07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
We want to hear more about "The Plan"
We talked about pulling my motor and selling it along with the alphia drive.He has a used bravo-1 and the helmet.He has a customer who wants to sell a 450hp motor.Might work.Iam also kicking around the pro-charger option $4050.00 at c.p. performance so called "dealer cost-sale on all proghargers."New bezels and stearing wheel.Might just buy a set of IMCO exhaust and run around slow:garfield: but save gas.:wink:May also have new bunks made for trailer as they are too low.Last might replace the cracked rub-rail in the back.You cant see it in the water so that might not get fixed just yet.I think the real "PLAN" is to remove all my money from my wallet!:eek:

zelatore
07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
I think the real "PLAN" is to remove all my money from my wallet!:eek:

Wow! We have the same plan and we're not even working on the same boat! Who would have guessed?

hmmmm.....$4050.00 at c.p. performance you say.....

fasttrucker
07-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow! We have the same plan and we're not even working on the same boat! Who would have guessed?
hmmmm.....$4050.00 at c.p. performance you say.....
Thats the price I got for my 350 mag.He said all progragers are at dealer cost do to the economy.Sales are slow.

kramsay1234
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
lookin good. That gas cap makes the boat.

Looks naked without the Donzi ZX on the side, or at least something on there. Nice boat though and lookin much happier in its repaired state.

Last Real Texan
07-31-2008, 09:14 PM
lookin good. That gas cap makes the boat.

Looks naked without the Donzi ZX on the side, or at least something on there. Nice boat though and lookin much happier in its repaired state.
were the letters in paint or in stickers ? looks good

Shanghied Again
08-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Thats the price I got for my 350 mag.He said all progragers are at dealer cost do to the economy.Sales are slow.
Bill: Great Looking Boat! I have been down the road with a 22ZX adding power. Your Alpha has to go if you Pro-Charge you will also need hydraulic Steering Dual not single. The 22ZX once she hits 80mph the steering locks up thats the need for the Hydraulic. The 350 is a good motor to supercharge but keep your pulley on the 5psi. Your boat will live longer and will run about 82mph if you put on a 7psi pulley she will run almost 90 but your motor already has 45hours and you wont live long at all. Best of Luck with her she is a great looking boat.

fasttrucker
08-01-2008, 10:38 AM
were the letters in paint or in stickers ? looks good
They were painted into the gel-coat.Major scratched-up and had to go.I like the look of the painted sides option that donzi did.Really dont have the cash to re-do it.

fasttrucker
08-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Bill: Great Looking Boat! I have been down the road with a 22ZX adding power. Your Alpha has to go if you Pro-Charge you will also need hydraulic Steering Dual not single. The 22ZX once she hits 80mph the steering locks up thats the need for the Hydraulic. The 350 is a good motor to supercharge but keep your pulley on the 5psi. Your boat will live longer and will run about 82mph if you put on a 7psi pulley she will run almost 90 but your motor already has 45hours and you wont live long at all. Best of Luck with her she is a great looking boat.
Frank what is the best way to go fast in this boat but save gas mpg.

The Hedgehog
08-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Here is the deal with going fast and saving money:

It takes X hp to go Y mph. It takes Z amount of gas to get X hp. You can get into the single vs twin vs big block vs small block discussion for days but that is pretty much how it works.

That being said, it is not a linear curve and there are some efficiencies to be gained at the lower end. Not so much in the upper end. If you want to go 80, you will burn some gas.

Your best option is probably a Procharger. With that you get squeeze it to get more speed out of the top yet swing a nice prop for a good cruise. Other than not trashing drives, that is one of the advantages to a non-linear boost curve.

My 26ZX is centrifugally blown. I can lag back and not do too bad if I run 50-55. At that speed it really does not burn noticabley more than the 502 mag I had. On the other hand if I run around at 70 I probably burn the same amount of gas as a 28ZX with a couple of scorps. If I lean on it and run in the 80's...well that half inch fuel line is there for a reason.

Keep it out of the boost and you will do pretty well. My 18 with a 383 mag is noticably cheaper to operate than the big dog.

If you run boost, dial it in right, reprogram the ECU and keep it at 5lbs and under. You can use the fuel pressure guage as a "I am getting ready to burn some gas" indicator.

rtgogo
08-02-2008, 06:54 AM
so bill.....what's the hypotenuse of X and Y if the ratio of Z to X is 4?......I was getting lost in your linear curve and wondered if it had a hyperbolic node........:propeller:.......:doh:

The Hedgehog
08-02-2008, 07:39 AM
so bill.....what's the hypotenuse of X and Y if the ratio of Z to X is 4?......I was getting lost in your linear curve and wondered if it had a hyperbolic node........:propeller:.......:doh:

Linear curve, yes I guess that was pretty silly.

I thought about comparing in to the properties of convexity...hmm maybe on some parts of the curve...:doh:

I guess that the bottom line is that if you want to go fast you have to burn gas.

Speaking of, I would imagine that you have a plan too. Or maybe multple plans and possibly even a contingency plan!:pimp:

rtgogo
08-02-2008, 07:55 AM
The latest version of the project plan has additional milestones involving enhanced grin-generating opportunities....looks like I may finish the stereo upgrades next with addition of amps, sub, more speakers and head....Winter time is lookin more realistic for the real sound upgrades..:eek!:.(stock exhaust tips are causing me pain...stock motor needs help)...only item causing grief in my household is the "promised" bimini....really havin a hard time addin it.....but Boss told me more than once and gunna have a hard time next season if it aint so....

BUIZILLA
08-02-2008, 08:03 AM
I really like the lines of the boat now that the graphics are gone...

looks interesting... actually intriguing...

with the Alpha, your hp limited to maybe 400 hp with an upgraded gear set...

if you trash the drive, build it stronger.. it'll be fine... unless your an idiot with it after that...

with that said, maybe just get some good exhaust for it, cam and heads, fine tune that, and leave it alone..

that's what i'd do...

just my .02, of course

SilverBack
08-02-2008, 08:36 AM
I agree with Jim completely!!!

The Hedgehog
08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
I agree with Jim completely!!!

Shhhh. Quiet! Don't you want someone else to join us in the pain!

BigGrizzly
08-02-2008, 10:54 AM
No magic here on the power part. Procharger or Vortex they both do well. The set up is not easy as people think, I have been down that road many times. The cost isn't just the blower, its the installation. Most of us have forgotten the cost of the total deal. Catch and I have talked on this issue and we choose not to remember most of it. I was lucky, because of where I live and who I know. As for the boost thing, Mine is only 4.7 psi. If I go to 7 or 9 I only get about 2->5 mph more and the diminishing returns is evident and so is the durability. In my case since I gave fuel consumption monitors I can say my 502 with the blower is better than the 454 combo that was original at a cruise MPG. At wfo I will burn about 45 gal/hr. After 3500rpms fuel economy is really bad. I won't even go into the handling over 70 without hydraulic steering.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Good luck with those Alpha's if not stock power, {mine was} I think I went through 3 in 1999/2000.
Great boat but the drive is not made for abuse, when I sold my last two Donzi's they had brand new drives that had not seen the water.

I think the X series is just a better drive.

Good luck on the restoration Fast Trucker, keep us posted and post pictures.

Oh, and I would just get a West Marine umbrella vice bimini, cheaper....
Bryan

BigGrizzly
08-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Bryan Knows, boat s really too heavy for your driving conditions, maybe ok for a lake but rough waters put an extra strain on the drive. Sounds like Bryan is back.:) BTW Bryan, it was a good tomato harvest.:yes:

Shanghied Again
08-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Bill: If the boat has a 350 Mag keep her, get rid of the Alpha, re build the engine and go with yhe whipple, they make a great unit for the 350 and better on gas then a Pro-Charger we did a 2002 with a whipple and with the lighter set up on the small block compaired to a big block the 22 ZX runs faster. The boat we set up runs 90 mph and actually handles better then my old 22 with the big block.

Last Real Texan
08-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Bill: If the boat has a 350 Mag keep her, get rid of the Alpha, re build the engine and go with yhe whipple, they make a great unit for the 350 and better on gas then a Pro-Charger we did a 2002 with a whipple and with the lighter set up on the small block compaired to a big block the 22 ZX runs faster. The boat we set up runs 90 mph and actually handles better then my old 22 with the big block.
Good Advice from the man who has done it before.....there is no substitute for expeience....

Tex

fasttrucker
08-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks,I do not like the air leaking sound of the 350 mag.mpi.Iam going to keep the boat as is for the rest of the boating season.Then sell it or keep it and hop it up, not sure.I do know this I miss the smoother ride of my 28zx.:smash:

The Hedgehog
08-03-2008, 06:13 PM

That is good stuff. I have spent some good time pondering the Whipple vs Procharger on the small block thing for my X. I was leaning toward the Whipple even though it costs more.

I need to get that thought out of my head for now or I will get back to that "too many irons in the fire" situation again.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Truck, that whistle is just how the 350 Mag is.
I am sure you miss the bigger ride, I am sure we all do what we do for a reason, and I respect you saving a Donzi to have it live on.

I am always ready to upgrade, my 33ZX can be had for 138 on a new 10K trailer! LOL Just so you know. And you know it is in GREAT shape.
She ran great today, 2nd time out this season, I think we broke the 200 hour barrier! Not bad for an 2003 year model. Go Navy!

Enjoy the 22ZX, it is definately better than being boatless... Me personaly would restore it and sell it and move on, but that's just my 2 Cents, keep us posted and best wishes. I loved my 22ZX, in fact i wonder if the lady who bought it is still here, her last name was Bell (I think).

Bryan

PS Big Griz, home from Hawaii.... back to Donzi boating in the Chesapeake, a bit rough today, more than I would bite off, so we anchored at a cove for beers and sun. Talk to you soon.

fasttrucker
08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Update on project,Ive started to clean the interior/swim pad and its not going too well.I think its never been cleaned,but the dirt does come off slowly.Iam using west marine vinyl cleaner.I dont want to mess-up the stiches with staight bleach.I also started to clean the bilge,going to get out the pressure washer next to finish it.I used glass cleaner wipes on the mirror(under the swim pad)Why does donzi put warning stickers on them?:garfield:Also my 350 mag is a 2002 model.Not listed for a supercharger for this year.Looks like they changed it around for model year 2003.Iam ordering a new steering wheel,dino or grant? 6 bolt or 9 bolts?Symmetrical spoke or fitted grip?Getting a Long Tapered Adapter 4 or 6 inches (brings the wheel closer for added driver comfort) have to also buy the proper hub adapter to match the wheel bolt pattern.The boat was fun yesterday.I took the day off and the bay was like a lake(no wind)Took the kids tubing and I didnt use much fuel.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Dino

The Hedgehog
08-14-2008, 01:10 PM
If you go with hydraulic steering it is best to get a symmetrical spoke.

VetteLT193
08-14-2008, 01:21 PM
If you go with hydraulic steering it is best to get a symmetrical spoke.

I like the Momo Ponza. there is a blue one on eBay for sale right now at a good price.

Custom speed and marine sells them for $130 with the hub new.

I bought one for my brother's 22 for his Birthday. looks excellent. I'm looking for one for my Minx now too.

fasttrucker
08-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I like the Momo Ponza. there is a blue one on eBay for sale right now at a good price.
Custom speed and marine sells them for $130 with the hub new.
I bought one for my brother's 22 for his Birthday. looks excellent. I'm looking for one for my Minx now too.
Whats the web site for custom speed and marine?will check them out.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Truck, killing time before our drivers meeting... re-read this thread.

On the interior use a SOFT nail brush (ask your wife) and 409 to clean it, then finish with your favorite brand of sealer. It is VERY time consuming, 4 x 4 inch square at a time, but a huge investment to make it look new. I do my every spring, take your time.

OK, Gotta run, it is show time at the Sheraton.
Bryan

fasttrucker
09-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks will try it.I bought some liquid vinyl cleaner+polish statbrite from west marine.You apply it and buff it off.I also bought a box of magic eraser."The doctor says it works great."Iam waiting for the weather to cool down to work on my donzi,will let you know!(summer is gone not too much time left to run)

fasttrucker
09-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Pictures of new Dino wheel and hub.Polished from eddie marine.I also installed new infinity speakers and alpine 6-disc cd player.Its controls thru the alpine in dash sterio unit.You can see the speakers in the last photo.Bought at clutchfield mail order.Sounds great and I can add a amp to them later-on.I think Iam almost done now.Almost done...............

brwn234
09-03-2008, 10:25 PM
That wheel looks great! Is that hub longer than the OE part. I need to bring my wheel closer to me. I'm not the smallest guy but the seat seems really far back. Like I'm 10 and driving my dads truck.

kramsay1234
09-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Wheel looks nice. Very clean and stock looking...

What is the model of that shifter you have? Looks nicer than my Quicksilver 3000 POS...

I am also going to upgrade my speakers. Think I will go with 6.5" MB Quart Marine in the front and 6x9" MB Quart in the back. I love their car audio stuff. Anyone have any experience with their marine line?

fasttrucker
09-11-2008, 11:28 AM
That wheel looks great! Is that hub longer than the OE part. I need to bring my wheel closer to me. I'm not the smallest guy but the seat seems really far back. Like I'm 10 and driving my dads truck.
I think the hub is the same.The wheel bends in and is just a little closer.They make a 4 and 6 inch hub unit maybe should have bought the 4 inch one.Problem is if you stand up to drive you will hit your legs.

fasttrucker
09-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Wheel looks nice. Very clean and stock looking...

What is the model of that shifter you have? Looks nicer than my Quicksilver 3000 POS...

I am also going to upgrade my speakers. Think I will go with 6.5" MB Quart Marine in the front and 6x9" MB Quart in the back. I love their car audio stuff. Anyone have any experience with their marine line?
Thanks,I wanted a stock looking wheel...clean look.The shifter is stock I know undertaker has the same unit.Iam not really happy with it but it works.I really like the new infinity kappa marine speakers they sound great $149.I had to buy a new alpine unit.My old one blew 2003 model.So another $200:garfield:.Guy said the new 2008 model is updated a bit.

kramsay1234
09-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Will take a look at the infinity as well. I have never seen anyone with the MB Quart Marine speakers so will have to get some opinions on them as well. Hope you are still enjoying the boat.

fasttrucker
09-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Will take a look at the infinity as well. I have never seen anyone with the MB Quart Marine speakers so will have to get some opinions on them as well. Hope you are still enjoying the boat.
Thanks,I want to add a amp+sub speaker.Do you have a sub and where do you mount it?Ive see them mounted in the back seat.I guess you need a waterproof speaker box because of water/wetness of the storage tub?......I also wanted to know how you feel about the 502 big block and the gps speed that you get 75mph?The least expensive way for me to gain speed is to put in a big block. My speed shop has one used.Hes giving me a good price,too low to advertise:wink:It might be another year as Iam going to take a vacation this winter and tow down to fla.maybe go to the keys!

kramsay1234
09-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey Fast. No sub, but had one in my Scarab before mounted in the compartment under the seat facing out toward the front of the boat and using that area as a free air enclosure. It worked well enough. I was a Clarion Marine 10" and I had it in there about 8 years with no issues with moisture, etc. They are made for that, but I always figured that for the price if I got that many years, I could just buy another one. I actually had non marine amps in there too and after 8 years, the one Alpine amp finally crapped out.

But for more important topics...The big block. I bought my boat because of the 502. It was enough to make me gear up and drive to Pennsylvania December 27 to go get it. As for the ride, it is heavy in the rear for sure so coming out of the hole is slower than a heafty small block would be, but it still comes out fine - tabs help there too if the boat is loaded up. Once running, it is easy to do 70 mph with a prop that is leaving the boat dragging in the water (my current 26 Bravo). As a matter of fact, every prop I have put on there so far, no matter what has taken the boat to 69+mph on GPS. With the 27 Mirage, the 75 mph was the first time I was hooting and hollering in the boat because those 3 extra mph from the 72 I ran a half hour earlier with my 26 Bravo felt like night and day because the boat was more out of the water. It still felt good though and was handling all the cross chop from boat wake, etc fine.

Dropping in more power is for sure the best way to see more performance. I am fiddling right now still with props to see what the best GPS number I can post is with my stock power. I am still running stock manifolds...stock everything. If you haven't done it cutting the stopper in the trim tabs gave me a solid 1 mph+ GPS and that mod was free (Thanks again BigGrizz for that one). Once I dial in the right prop and squeeze all I can out of this, I would do headers first and then maybe down the road go to a heads and cam setup to get me to about 500hp. If I can get 80mph with that, I would be content. If I wanted to go faster than that, I would just buy another boat. For now though I am enjoying playing around 75mph because that is still as fast as most fast boats. If they weren't so expensive, I think a 525 EFI would be sweet in there, so go ahead and pull the trigger on one of those and then grab your GPS for me...

Uncle Fester
09-12-2008, 03:00 PM
My subs and amps are in the cuddy on either side screwed down to the bench. System sounds good and it's nice cause I'm not blasting my music to the entire world... it stays pretty cinfined to just the c.o.c.k.pit

rtgogo
09-12-2008, 05:45 PM
My subs and amps are in the cuddy on either side screwed down to the bench. System sounds good and it's nice cause I'm not blasting my music to the entire world... it stays pretty cinfined to just the c.o.c.k.pit

I'd really appreciate a picture of that setup. Was goin there with amps and under rear bench for sub? I'd like to keep the cuddy usable for the kids..but really hate to cut her. I'm also planning to adding a set of 5.25" speakers in the access holes on the sidewalls.

srlbrodkin
09-12-2008, 09:53 PM
The steering wheel looks great. Not to hyjack thie thread but what is the small push button switch next to the key for. My 22zx has it also.

Bruce

fasttrucker
09-15-2008, 10:17 AM
The steering wheel looks great. Not to hyjack thie thread but what is the small push button switch next to the key for. My 22zx has it also.

Bruce
Circit-breaker switch

Uncle Fester
09-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I'd really appreciate a picture of that setup. Was goin there with amps and under rear bench for sub? I'd like to keep the cuddy usable for the kids..but really hate to cut her. I'm also planning to adding a set of 5.25" speakers in the access holes on the sidewalls.

Sorry for the delay in getting the pics up.... but here is my setup...

brwn234
09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
I always wanted to put a small woofer in the floor around the foot well in the cuddy. Maybe a 10" in the front wall/vertical section and possibly storage on the sides. Any ideas on how much room is under the floor up there or if anything important is under there?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-30-2008, 08:23 PM
I used a side wall access panel to add another 10.5 inch sub, just make it bigger was the thought process..... I would us a dremmel tool to enlarge the hole, and I can tell you the walls on the 33ZX are over an inch in thickness... what a day that that turned out to be two years ago :-)

But several bits later and several hours and a hell of a mess the task was done, Donzi ran Sub Woofer Cord to both sides of the boat, so that part was easy, adding an additional amp was a breeze.

Best of luck, that ought to be a pounding 22 when your done.

Bryan