PDA

View Full Version : Headed To New Orleans on Monday

Last Real Texan
07-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Well for all of you that have followd my winter upgrade it has extended itself into the summer. I have had a time getting the fuel curves and mapping right on this Procharger set up right, I have finally given up sending the ecu back and forth to Mark @ precision marine and decided to go down there myself and have Mark do the final tune in the boat for piece of mind. The fuel mapping is pretty close now but still a little fat all the way to 4800 then it drops off the other way to around 12.5 from 4800 alll the way to 5400-5500. I could live with the fat thing but the 12.5-1 is a little lean to be safe @ 7-8 lbs of boost for more than anything other than short 1-2 minute bursts, I don't run it that hard up ther but would like to have the ability to do so with out melting anything down.

ON a side note Mark is a litttle surprised that I am lean on top with 55 lb injectors @ 10.7 MLS pulse width....he says I am Making north of 800 HP on my set up to make this happen, I guess the professional Port work on the Brodix BB2's paid off afterall, sure am glad I bought them that way( bought a used set for a song).
I am not looking forward to the 500 mile trip ( each way ) but am looking forward to dodging crab pots in Lake ponchatrain with mark telling me to go faster ....

I will also be bouncing the idea of a 572 M-4 Procharged TAll deck EFI motor off of him for another winter build, as well as the installtion of an IMCO extension box for this Bastard of a hull, one of a kind, prototype, experimental full lenth lifting strake ( 2 on each side all the way to the transom on the last step) high profile, early twin step 97 model ZX. Boy that was a mouth full. AS most of you know I am never satisfied with status quo and will not rest until I get this big pig to crack the century mark...I am thinking it will take north of 950 HP to do it.......and maybe one of those fancy surface piercing things that likes to shred limbs and extremeties, lift the stern under hard acceleration and get really out of hand and make you chew holes in the seat with your ass drives, sounds fun huh.....If it can be done safely I will try it......Only time will tell....
Tex

The Hedgehog
07-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Oh well. At least I get my summer in the catbird seat.

You will probably pick up mph or so from the tuning as well.

The big power thing is addictive. I blew by a Formula yesterday. I was not really paying attention to the gps as I was watching other gauges. I slowed down in a bit and looked at the screen. I had been running 89.6. It was still accelerating and I had more to go.

Last Real Texan
07-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Oh well. At least I get my summer in the catbird seat.
You will probably pick up mph or so from the tuning as well.
The big power thing is addictive. I blew by a Formula yesterday. I was not really paying attention to the gps as I was watching other gauges. I slowed down in a bit and looked at the screen. I had been running 89.6. It was still accelerating and I had more to go.
Good stuff....makes you feel important huh..........

I am really only interested in making this pig faster if it is possible to do safely......dont want to get wet I know this, Mark will be able to give me some insight to this when I see him....so the century mark is a target only if it makes sense....if it is goin to take insane , and I mean insane power to get there ( over 1000 hp ) I will find a 27 ZR in the next 2 years to do it with....

Enjoy your hangover today BIll and have fun on Lake Jordon, Oh by the way how was the ride in the HTM?

fasttrucker
07-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Lots of good food in new orleans.Bring beads!!!!!:wink:

BigGrizzly
07-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Tex, we are working on the prop thing. Do I get a bonus if I can get you that C mark:propeller:. The trip will be worth it. Call me after you get back and we will set something up.

Last Real Texan
07-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Oh well. I blew by a Formula yesterday. I was not really paying attention to the gps as I was watching other gauges. I slowed down in a bit and looked at the screen. I had been running 89.6. It was still accelerating and I had more to go.
Now Bill, picking on the Formula boats is just not fair you know they are not that fast ......just ribbin ya!

Last Real Texan
07-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Lots of good food in new orleans.Bring beads!!!!!:wink:
Just wish I was going to be there long enough to enjoy it.....this is a task trip, Down , tune , Back.......and some sleep in there somewhere.

Been to Mardi Gras a bunch so at least I have been there and done that.

Nice looking 22ZX you picked up there.

BigGrizzly
07-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Tex and Hedg stop picking on each other:wink:

Last Real Texan
07-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Tex and Hedg stop picking on each other:wink:
But its all we have ever done since we have known each other....:hangum:

Last Real Texan
07-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Tex, we are working on the prop thing. Do I get a bonus if I can get you that C mark:propeller:. The trip will be worth it. Call me after you get back and we will set something up.
Get me over the 90 MPH mark with the current set up other than prop and you bet there will be a extra "C note " in it for ya....boat ran a best of 88.6 with just me during testing with a Bravo I and i think with a better prop it is possible:shocking:

Tex

BigGrizzly
07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Tex, A picture of your smile and dinner is fine. Of course gas for the unit down and back is always welcome. I will be surprised if I can't get at least the same speed + and better handling too:boat::)

Last Real Texan
07-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Looking forward to it.....

The Hedgehog
07-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Now Bill, picking on the Formula boats is just not fair you know they are not that fast ......just ribbin ya!

No it is not!

I am still feeling pretty sporty about hitting 90 (rounding up 4/10) without working hard. It has more. I was not going for it, but did have to drive the boat.

Last Real Texan
07-21-2008, 08:38 PM
what a heck of a ride, all was good until I reached he outskirts of New Orleans. Geeeez they need some tax money here to fix the road, If I had not had my seat belt on I would have smacked my noggin every 2 seconds for about 10 miles after coming across Ponchatrain, nice whooop de doooo's.

Mark sure has a first class shop for sure, nice hardware in there and what is realy nice is he is a heck of a guy, took me in showed all around, some of the projects they have going etc....such a nice welcome.

Any how I think I found something interesting,a seriously fast twin small block 28 ZX with a pair of Prochargers and extension boxes on it, 380 plates to boot. Good looking ride and it runs to 95 without issue really nice ride for sure.

My boat is next up in the morning, I hope we can get it done before the weather turns to crap and the bottom falls out of the sky. Looking forward to having the EFI guru check things over and get it to where I am not nervous about standing on it and letting it rip, should be an intersting day for sure.

On a side not I picked up a set of new 28 inch tabs for boat to replace the 280's I currently have, I was talking to Mark and found that the longer length really helps settle things down with out scrubbing speed off the rig, we shall see. He told me it really made all of the difference in the world in the 28 small block boat, the way it was it was a handful at anything over 80 and now it is like driving a caddillac over 90....

signing off to go down to the French Quarter for some drinks and entertainment

TEX

The Hedgehog
07-22-2008, 07:38 AM
We will all be waiting in anticipation.

Procharged small blocks. Nice. I considered that option before the big single. Someone on this board needs to pull it off.

The Hedgehog
07-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Alright Griz, he got 89.4 today at 95% relative humidity and 98 degrees. Water was like glass. You should be able to take him over the top on a cool morning with a nice chop. Maybe 91?

BigGrizzly
07-22-2008, 06:00 PM
With the prop he was running I should be able to do that on glass soothe water. this is going to be fun. then its your turn.

The Hedgehog
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM
With the prop he was running I should be able to do that on glass soothe water. this is going to be fun. then its your turn.

Mine is getting there. A little more tuning and it will be ready

Last Real Texan
07-23-2008, 07:57 AM
I am back and it was a success. Mark used the laptop to tune on the fly and make some really good adjustments to the ecu o get it just right, even found a little more speed with the addition of a little timing over 5100 RPMS. Geez it was muggy and hot as he..ll down there Ponchatraine was too rough to safely run in and tune on the top end so we ended up in a small canal, about 3 miles long and maybe 100 ft wide. Quite a rush screaming down the canal @ 85 with close shoreline to reference speed. Bill was right , back in the canal it was glass water,the stickiest water I have ever been on for top speed runs, oh by the way I think I have shortened the life of my drive due to the numerous back to back speed runs, lol. Anyhow it was a really good experience for sure and I am very happy that it is tuned properly and safely for running around in every RPM range. I hit a best of 89.4 going down wind with the boat planted flat and tabs down to keep it settled in the glass water, not the best tab setting for speed but still respectable for a 28 ft single. Mark told if the tabs were up and good water the boat should run over 90 and that the 380 tabs should allow it, the difference will be night and day. More to come later I have to go to work.
He Also told me everything runs slower down there due to humidity and heat and the water temp in ponchatrain...so if it ran this good down there to expect it to run better at home.....good stuff for sure!
Tex

BigGrizzly
07-23-2008, 09:08 AM
WE will set something up soon. I need a little more time to settle things at Precision props to get the special stuff. It will happen. I want to come down with several options especially since your strakes run full length. These are uncharted waters. I will not disagree with the bigger planes if they are set correctly with at least 10 degree up angle