PDA

View Full Version : Changing belts

TBroccoli
07-17-2008, 08:29 PM
454 Magnum with three belts. How do i remove the raw water belt. I loosened the tensioner and got the belt off the raw water pump pully. How do I get it away from the water circ pump pully and the crank case pully? Do I have to remove pullys?

MOP
07-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Not sure if the layout is the same on all but on mine to get the pump belt off all the belts must come off, no need for the pulleys to come off.

Phil

TBroccoli
07-17-2008, 09:11 PM
My middle belt only wraps around the top pulley and the raw water pump. I do not have enough room between the circ pump pulley and the crank case pulley to get it out. My other two belts wrap around both of the above listed pulleys so they remove easily. I'm thinking i have to remove the raw water pulley???

mrfixxall
07-17-2008, 09:24 PM
My middle belt only wraps around the top pulley and the raw water pump. I do not have enough room between the circ pump pulley and the crank case pulley to get it out. My other two belts wrap around both of the above listed pulleys so they remove easily. I'm thinking i have to remove the raw water pulley???

you have to remove the raw water pump or the pully to get the other belt off in most cases..

cutwater
07-17-2008, 09:25 PM
are you saying that your circ pump pulley and crank pulley are less than 1/2 in. from touching each other? so close that a v-belt will not slide out from between them?

mrfixxall
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
are you saying that your circ pump pulley and crank pulley are less than 1/2 in. from touching each other? so close that a v-belt will not slide out from between them?

Correct! the pump only has about 3/4'' movement then the raw water pump( sea pump) touches the crank pully.

cutwater
07-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Correct! the pump only has about 3/4'' movement..

Wow! That's a bummer. :hangum: Thankfully I didn't have that problem with my small block.

TBroccoli
07-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Do the four bolts on the circ pump pulley remove all three stacked pulleys? Is it better to remove them or take off the whole circ pump (which means replacing the gasket)

mrfixxall
07-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Do the four bolts on the circ pump pulley remove all three stacked pulleys? Is it better to remove them or take off the whole circ pump (which means replacing the gasket)

wait! do you have a bravo1? you only have to remove the sea pump pully or the 4 bolts on the circulation pump or the sea pump that supplys the engine with water..

mrfixxall
07-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Got a pic?

mrfixxall
07-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I had to think about this one, i forgot EFI engine..once you losen the tensioner on the sea pump the belt will be loose, in order to get the belt off the crankshaft pully you have to remove the waterpump pully (4 1/2'') bolts and then remove the pully to get the belt off for the sea pump because the crank and water pump pully are to close together..i was thinking of the old carberated engine with the older style sea pump..

TBroccoli
07-17-2008, 11:20 PM
So the engine water pump stays put and all i need to do is remove the 4 bolts on the pulleys???

What do you use to keep the pulleys from wanting to turn while loosening the bolts? Is there a little trick?

Thanks for the help.

BUIZILLA
07-18-2008, 07:56 AM
there is a very simple solution...

cut the old belt off..

get an upgraded Dayco internal cog belt with serrations of the same/correct length

work the serrations sideways between the pulleys on install

your done

been there, done that

TBroccoli
07-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Buizilla: I was wondering why my two other belts are serrated but this one was not. It is the only one that needs the serrations for install assistance. It sure makes sense. Does the belt have to be a Dayco?

BUIZILLA
07-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Does the belt have to be a Dayco? nope... but they seem to have less time stretch than other brands

mrfixxall
07-18-2008, 09:24 AM
wont work and some people dont know how to cross the belt numbers and you still may have to take the pully off to get the belt back on:)

mrfixxall
07-18-2008, 09:28 AM
So the engine water pump stays put and all i need to do is remove the 4 bolts on the pulleys???
What do you use to keep the pulleys from wanting to turn while loosening the bolts? Is there a little trick?
Thanks for the help.

leave all drive belts on and tight or you can use a square shafter long screwdriver and put it between the bolts..me i use a air ratchet and they come off that way..

BigGrizzly
07-18-2008, 09:45 AM
If your a decent tech mrfix's stuff work if your not just remove the belts and save the hassel of the Self training.

BUIZILLA
07-18-2008, 09:59 AM
wont work :) wanna bet.... worked for me on my MPI.............

TBroccoli
07-18-2008, 10:20 AM
The bolts don't look very big. I'm afraid of breaking them off. I'm gonna go home for lunch and hit them with some WD-40. I will try to loosen them tonight.

BigGrizzly
07-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Buiz's thing does work but it isn't for the newbee. placement of the notch and the holding of the belt is very important.

mrfixxall
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
wanna bet.... worked for me on my MPI.............

I get what your saying buiz,me and you would be able to but a newbee? :)

mrfixxall
07-18-2008, 01:29 PM
The bolts don't look very big. I'm afraid of breaking them off. I'm gonna go home for lunch and hit them with some WD-40. I will try to loosen them tonight.

They should be a 5/16 bolt with a 1/2 hex head..

TBroccoli
07-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Bolts on 12 yr old pulley came off easy. Pulled pulleys, changed belts, hit the river. All good. Thanks guys for the help.