PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cutting out

jeffaf
07-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I have a 454 Mercruiser EFI on a '94 22 classic and recently the engine has been cutting out on me when I'm idling through the bouy field but only after it has been running for a while.

The first time it happened, I shut everything down and tried to start it up again. All the power went on and I got the high pitched beep but nothing happened when I turned the key to try and turn it over. No click or anything.

After toying around with it I put the boat back on the buoy. A few days later I went back to tow it over to the marina. I put the key in and it fired right up. I drove it around for the day and then once again it died on me when I was idling in the buoy field. This time when we tried to fire it up, it cranked up but it wouldn't turn over. It was like it couldn't get enough fuel to turn over and it would immediately die again. It was almost like it was out of gas or that fuel wasn't getting through the fuel line.

My mechanic thinks it may have to do with the fuel injection and vapor lock. Any other ideas? She runs fine except now I can't trust her when idling. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

rtgogo
07-17-2008, 01:21 PM
I have the same setup and she has left me floatin with the same symptoms. I figured it was a bad batch of gas? Vapor locks may be a more accurate assessment.

mrfixxall
07-17-2008, 01:32 PM
I have a 454 Mercruiser EFI on a '94 22 classic and recently the engine has been cutting out on me when I'm idling through the bouy field but only after it has been running for a while.

The first time it happened, I shut everything down and tried to start it up again. All the power went on and I got the high pitched beep but nothing happened when I turned the key to try and turn it over. No click or anything.

After toying around with it I put the boat back on the buoy. A few days later I went back to tow it over to the marina. I put the key in and it fired right up. I drove it around for the day and then once again it died on me when I was idling in the buoy field. This time when we tried to fire it up, it cranked up but it wouldn't turn over. It was like it couldn't get enough fuel to turn over and it would immediately die again. It was almost like it was out of gas or that fuel wasn't getting through the fuel line.

My mechanic thinks it may have to do with the fuel injection and vapor lock. Any other ideas? She runs fine except now I can't trust her when idling. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ive had a few that did the same thing..it turned out to be a loose fuel filter and one i did happened to have a small leak which caused it to suck air..

the fuek fikters are not pressurised, they get the fuel sucked through them..try changing the filter and ,ake sure the fuel lines going to the filter housing are tight...check the starter cable to see if its loose for the other problem your having and also make sure the battery cables are tight, take a pair of plyers to the wing nuts,,i always convert to a hex nut..

joseph m. hahnl
07-17-2008, 04:29 PM

I don't know about EFI's but with a carb that is a symptom of water in the gas . Take a sample of the fuel in a clean cup if there is water in it you can see it plain as day.One day it took me about 1/2 hour counting to sixty and jogging the start to clear it out:bawling:. All cause I switched gas stations.Had the same problem with the whaler that same day had to force it out with the ball primer. I guess that's what I get for using Mobile instead of Sunoco:doh:.

BUIZILLA
07-17-2008, 05:55 PM
ign switch

Tidbart
07-19-2008, 09:04 AM
ign switch

Ditto!

An intermittant contact on the switch will drive an efi crazy. For $20 and 10 minutes, eliminate any question of this being the problem. A few years ago, I had a similar problem. 3 mechanics later, they couldn't find the problem. I accidently bumped the key while playing around with the stereo and out of the corner of my eye I saw the voltmeter drop and come back up. Changed the switch and eliminated the problem. Drove me crazy for some time.

Bob