PDA

View Full Version : More on Tipping!

MOP
07-17-2008, 10:15 AM
So as not to hijack the gas tipping post started this one!

TIPS To Insure Proper Service!
I think tipping has gotten way out of hand, most restaurants in my area automatically tack on 15-20% and you have to pay even if the wait person did a poor job. Wait staff make exceptional $$ a lot more then many realize, I have first hand up close input. Bonnie's daughter bar tends on the weekends, her average night exceeds $500 and has hit $700 in one night, that is $1,000 to $1,400 a weekend! Yeah she is good looking which helps. Another very close friends daughter waitresses during college break, I am close enough to ask and get an honest answer. She has for the last three years averaged just over $30,000 in the just under three months roughly $2,500 a five day week. My favorite waitress of many years at a local upscale place was saving to open her own business which she finally did, Bonnie and I spoke with her a few weeks back and she said she really missed the $2,500 to $3,000 a week she was making and was sure she was going back to waitressing. Not long ago the was a thing on CH7 news about how bad it has gotten, many people had cut down the nights out. The wait staffs in NYC average about $100 to 125,000 with matradi's making over $250,000

It boils down to unskilled labor making two to five times the national average workers salary which is $48,000! Like I said in the intro it is way out of hand and truly unfair to the average guy/gal that must have decent skills/education to meet the national average income level.
Granted this does not hold true in all areas of out nation, but it is something that bears thought.

I am a tipper and usually double the tax (8.75%) on any bill when served properly, but it burns my buns when I get crappy to average service and have 15-20% is tacked on the bill. TIPS should be earned by the level of service!

Now to my favorite place Costa Rica, when I first started going down tipping was not done even in the larger restaurants. They were paid a salary and and did not expect tips, like most gringos I would leave a little something and the family would always frown. Then CR got popular and now due to the big spenders from other places are starting to adopt the tip included in the bill.
Up at Alexandria Bay Cavallario's Steak & Seafood House pressed theft of services charges on a customer that was unhappy with the service and refused to pay the included tip! Yes the customer had to come back up and go to court and lost the case.

I feel I have made a point to be pondered, tipping should always be done for proper service and not jammed down our throats. Service has suffered somewhat due to these practices as win lose or draw they get their tip!

chappy
07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I always thought it was to insure Prompt service.

zelatore
07-17-2008, 10:42 AM
My favorite are the little shops where the checker will put a tips jar out. They've done nothing for a tip, but they put the little jar out just hoping somebody will throw in a few bucks.

What next, a tip jar at the supermarket check-out? Hey, I bagged your groceries....how about a little something?

roadtrip se
07-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Actually, one of my first jobs as a teenager was bagging groceries. I got to know the regulars and made sure I was at the counter for quick service with the stuff in the right bags, for the big tippers. Beat stocking shelves in the glass isle!

As for the auto-tip, I have asked that management take it off or reduce if I didn't feel the staff deserved it. Never had a problem. Going to court over it? Wow, that is a first.

From the flip side, I am overwhelmed how crappy some patrons treat the staff, like they were royalty or something, so I can't blame places for including it as an abuse charge.

It isn't a big secret that good wait staff make decent bucks.

Trueser
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
How many tipping threads can we get going?

mjw930
07-17-2008, 12:59 PM
My favorite are the little shops where the checker will put a tips jar out. They've done nothing for a tip, but they put the little jar out just hoping somebody will throw in a few bucks.
What next, a tip jar at the supermarket check-out? Hey, I bagged your groceries....how about a little something?

A regional grocery chain down here, Publix, promotes their bagging and curb service. All of their baggers wear badges saying, "No Tipping".

When I traveled internationally for work I used the state department website to make sure I knew all the local customs. In many far eastern cultures leaving a tip is an insult!

patolucas962000
07-17-2008, 01:03 PM
The automatic tip is the signal that crapy service is typically on it's way. They know their getting it, so why bother with extra effort to have excellent service. :bonk:

BlownCrewCab
07-17-2008, 01:37 PM
A regional grocery chain down here, Publix, promotes their bagging and curb service. All of their baggers wear badges saying, "No Tipping".

When I traveled internationally for work I used the state department website to make sure I knew all the local customs. In many far eastern cultures leaving a tip is an insult!

I Lived in Miami when Publix changed their policy, seems the baggers where Making way More$$$$$ than anyone else working there, even the managers...

onesubdrvr
07-17-2008, 03:44 PM
I am a good tipper, and usually pretty laid back, but nothing irritates me more than going out to eat and being rushed through dinner. I was at an Applebees one night, me and the wife, and another couple (this must have been many years ago, because we didn't have kids yet :wink:). Anyway, when we got seated, everyone was in a good mood and relaxed, I ordered a beer, and the waitress came back with the drinks and asked us if we were ready to order. We were, and ordered our appetizers, as soon as we ordered them, she asked us if we wanted to order our dinner. Now, this is where I have a problem. I answered "Sure, but PLEASE make sure that our dinner doesn't come until we are done with our appetizers, and those plates are cleared, it's the one thing that really bothers me" - and she gave the typical, "certainly sir, not a problem" answer. Now, keep in mind, we were all in good moods, having a good time.

Out come our appetizers, and I SWARE it hadn't been 2 minutes and our dinners were there. Now we hadn't even really started on our appetizers, and here's our dinner. I asked her to take it back until we were done, and she gave me a dirty look, and said pretty much "Yeah, what ever". 2 minutes later she was back out,..... we still weren't done.

Regardless, I let her drop the dinner off. We weren't 1/2 done with dinner and she'd bought the check, no asking if we wanted deserts or more drinks or anything, but was curteous enough to bring some "free desert" coupons :mad:.

Needless to say, I was pissed. I work hard all week, and at the end of it, I like to relax,.... DON'T rush me out of your restaurant.

I left a .01 tip, with about 2 paragraphs about my issues with the crappy service on the back of the receipt.

Wayne

McGary911
07-17-2008, 06:25 PM
If I've been given good service, I always leave a good tip. Typically, about 20%. All the tables I waited in college probably helped me form that habit.

One time we were out back in NJ, and we had received some of the absolute worst service i've ever seen. Literally 1/2 hour to refresh our drinks among other things. (learned when waiting tables, mess up everything else, but if you keep drinks fresh, They're usually happy). Once we got the bill, we realized why the service was so terrible. Waitress was guaranteed 15%. No she wasn't. She must ave known something was up, because when we left the money on the table she was on it in 5 seconds. We had left 5%. The manager grabbed us on the way out, and said we underpaid our bill. I said we did not. We merely chose to tip the girl what she earned. He threatened to call the police. I told him to call away, he'd just end up looking like an ass. He then "let us go" :shocking:

He was so busy being pissed at us for not tipping 15%, he never bothered to ask why we felt a 5% tip was warranted. Nope, he didn't get it either......

zelatore
07-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Nope, he didn't get it either......

You know, in general that sentance covers a whole lotta situations.