PDA

View Full Version : How Much Should You Tip At The Gas Dock?

Carl C
07-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I try to tip about $5 but sometimes it's less just because I don't have the small bills. I've been treated like a cheap piece of crap when I've only tipped a couple bucks. Is a tip even required? Is there a formula or something?

mjw930
07-16-2008, 01:45 PM
At $4.65 / gallon (latest price this weekend) they'll have to do a whole lot more than unlock the pump to see anymore than the $150 I'm spending on fuel.

All they usually do here is unlock the pump and process the payment. Tipping them would be like tipping the checkout clerk at the 7-11 for getting me a hotdog..... I suppose, if they were actually providing a service a tip would be in order.

gcarter
07-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I try to tip about $5 but sometimes it's less just because I don't have the small bills. I've been treated like a cheap piece of crap when I've only tipped a couple bucks. Is a tip even required? Is there a formula or something?
I agree w/Mark, never have, probably never will.

Carl C
07-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I thought boaters were expected to throw money around like Mardi Gras beads.:eek!:

MOP
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I do very little docking except up at the 1000 Islands, the town dock has young people that are quick to give a hand. I always put a decent tip in the tip box, the gas docks are another story in the 50 some odd years of boating I have never tipped at the fuel dock.

justleft
07-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Naw, never have tipped the gas guys. Most cases they just hand me
the nozzle and take my credit card.

But when I used to boat Lk Minnetonka, Lord Fletchers had the some
really great looking dock gals !! Now they got tipped.

FISHIN SUCKS
07-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Down at AOTH I tipped the gas dock hand $5, just because other people were doing it (yes i would probably jump off a bridge if others did too). I dont know the rule on that, but as a result, I was glad that i did tip them because they ended up giving me a tow from the dock to the ramp. I rarely fuel up at a marina anyway.

Now as for tying up, yeah, I'll tip'em $5 just to insure that noone jacks with my boat while I am away!

p729lws
07-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Damn, no wonder my fuel dock guy is always so glad to see me...

gold-n-rod
07-16-2008, 05:56 PM
OK, toss em beads :D :D

Does that require the attendant to show some tits??? :smash::smash::smash:

RedDog
07-16-2008, 06:09 PM
its never crossed my mind

I wonder if I can start getting tips at work?

DonziJon
07-16-2008, 06:25 PM
I tend to agree with you guys.. I was never aware that tipping at a gas dock was a consideration. I have tipped in the Thousand Islands when arriving at a popular waterfront restaurant. Dock boys taking your lines...etc. Never thought of it with Gas Docks.

Lake Winni, NH. This topic came up recently. A lot of reading...but maybe informative. Scan it to get a flavor..Maybe it's Regional..?? I have never tipped at a gas dock.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5039&highlight=Tipping

John

EDIT: I like the last post which is post #62.

Carl C
07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
They usually pump the gas for you up here. I wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing up if a good tip didn't happen (like stiffing a waitress). I guess I won't worry about it anymore.

zelatore
07-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Just this week I paid $6.05/gal for a little fuel in a company boat at the only fuel dock on the Oakland estuary (only place close to my office). They didn't even come down and unlock the pumps until I walked up to their little building and asked them to.

No. I don't tip them. I also only bought enough fuel there to make it up the river about 40 miles where I bought fuel at $4.59 - heck, that's cheaper than the Shell station on the corner by the office!!

chappy
07-16-2008, 07:01 PM
The guys I talk to pay their high school/college kid's $9-$10 per hour to work the pumps. That's considerably more than a waitress or bartender's hourly rate, I don't believe they expect tips, they get them on occasion, but do not expect them. That's the feeling I get here at least.

tiger lily
07-16-2008, 07:03 PM
when im in the donzi, the only thing the gas dock person does is hand me down the nozzle, cause most docks are 3-4 up above the water from the deck, do i tip them, no, but dock guys at marinas, yes

Kirbyvv
07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm with Tiger Lily, they just ahnd me the hose and I fill it myself. I really don't want some kid climbing around on teh deck of my boat. so, I don't tip at the gas dock either.
actually to save over $1/gal, I've been lugging 20 gallons of fuel from town in 5 gal containers, but it is a PIA.

Sweet little 16
07-17-2008, 12:15 PM
man short arms and deep pockets, we throw the gas kid a 5 spot everytime now when he sees us pull in it is like the queen mary docking he has his own special towel to ensure there are no scratches in the boat from the hose or him left on the deck tipping is not only about present service it is about future service too, he saw us pull in for gas after the marina had closed he was happy to turn the pumps on and stay a little longer for us.

f_inscreenname
07-19-2008, 11:18 AM
When you have to pay 60 to 70 cents more a gallon at a marina my tip money goes in the tank.
And lucky enough 99 times out of a 100 I pay at the pump at the local gas station anyway.

Dr. Dan
07-19-2008, 11:16 PM
:smash:Wow... another incredible Thread by Carl C! Who woulda thunk it... and apparrently they even pump your Gas?

I can't speak for Tipping in other Regions of the Country...but I tend to do alot of my local boating on my own... if the Dock Hands , Ramp Hands and or Gas Dock Kids are helpful, offer to tie up a line or better keep the Hull from getting damaged by the dock...well then I tip them. Not every single time - but most of the time at least $3 and usually a $5.

I just Today Tipped the Marina Launch Guy a $10 - he grabs my lines for me and he always gives me a ride in the Golf Cart to my Rig. He even comes to the Dock to assist when I am getting ready to load up.

I guess what I am saying is if they are working and are helpful - I could care less what my friggin fuel bill is or how much they are paid. I am rewarding them independent of that...and most use the Tips as income...for School or Crack or something... but hey, ya can't take it with you... lighten up spread some good cheer... and be kind to your peeps, one day it may come in handy?

Doc Hand:wink:

Cuda
07-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Carl, the most obvious question is why would you have to buy gaa on the water often enough to make it an issue? A 22 will run all day on one tank of fuel, won't it Catch? :)

Cuda
07-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Tip was originally an acronym for To Insure Promptness.

That's been lost somewhere along the line.

Carl C
07-20-2008, 06:36 AM
Carl, the most obvious question is why would you have to buy gaa on the water often enough to make it an issue? A 22 will run all day on one tank of fuel, won't it Catch? :) I always start with a full tank of cheap:wink:land gas but usually have to fill up on St. Clair or Huron. The guys at Gregory's fuel dock are real friendly and will continue to get tips. The dock at the north of the middle channel is where I've been getting the bad attitude if the tip doesn't exceed a couple of bucks. I'll try to avoid that one. Also at some state docks, like at Tawas Bay, they are not allowed to accept tips to avoid preferential treatment. I'm kind of new to the big water boating and just wanted to be sure I wasn't screwing up. I'll base the tips on the service from now on. BTW, I filled up the truck last night at $3.97!!!:yippie:(it's an election year, it had to go down!)

gcarter
07-20-2008, 09:21 AM
BTW, I filled up the truck last night at $3.97!!!:yippie:(it's an election year, it had to go down!)
I wonder if any of the Middle Eastern Royal Families care who wins our election???

yeller
07-20-2008, 04:04 PM
So now the question is......if you tip for someone at the gas dock, shouldn't you tip at the gas station when you fill up your truck/car?

Shouldn't you tip the person at the grocery store that bags your food?

Shouldn't you tip the person that installs new tires on your car?

Shouldn't you tip kid at McDonalds for getting your order for you?

Where does it end?

I personally hate the whole concept of tipping. It's become expected in certain fields, regardless of the service and in fields that you may get exceptional service, no tip is given.

Carl C
07-20-2008, 06:50 PM
So now the question is......if you tip for someone at the gas dock, shouldn't you tip at the gas station when you fill up your truck/car?

Shouldn't you tip the person at the grocery store that bags your food?

Shouldn't you tip the person that installs new tires on your car?

Shouldn't you tip kid at McDonalds for getting your order for you?

Where does it end?

I personally hate the whole concept of tipping. It's become expected in certain fields, regardless of the service and in fields that you may get exceptional service, no tip is given. I hate it too but it's expected sometimes. Wait staff, newspaper & pizza deliverers, barbers, etc. pretty much expect tips unless they screw up. I can tell you that mechanics appreciate tips and if the grocery bagger carries the bags to the car for someone who needs help then he should get a tip. I will never put money in a tip jar or where a sign asks for tips. I don't think tipping at the gas dock is covered in "Miss Manners" but we pretty well covered it here.

osur866
07-21-2008, 01:35 AM
Yes I tip at the gas docks at LOTO all other lakes I don't buy gas on the lake usually I fuel up at before I hit the lake. I usually get gas at just a few places and those few places usually few very cute college age girls in swim suits working the gas pumps :drool: so its almost like tipping for the view as they pump gas for you :biggrin.: and yes the girls do have an understanding of it as well. Steve

Cuda
07-21-2008, 07:34 AM
The few times I have boughten gas on the water, I usually had to hunt somebody down to turn the pump on. The only tip they get from me is to not play leapfrog with a unicorn.