PDA

View Full Version : How many LASIK users do we have?

Trueser
07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm really getting tired of glasses...

mrfixxall
07-16-2008, 09:21 AM
My girl friend had it done a few yrs ago, went back for a touch up and now she only needs her glasses when she reads a book..

zedohsix
07-16-2008, 10:20 AM
had it done, needed glasses for distance, not up close, now no glasses for distance, was told I may need glasses for close but I find just at nite, would do it again.
:canada:

Carl C
07-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Lasik fixes nearsightedness. I'm nearsighted and have worn glasses all my life, however my vision happens to be at the point where my close vision is above normal with no glasses and I am 54. I remove or look under my glasses to read or examine stuff up close. I can see detail in printed money that young people cannot see! Therefore no one will be putting a laser to my eyes. Everyone over the age of about 45 needs reading glasses unless you happen to be like me. It is something to consider as you may be trading distance glasses for reading glasses.

Donziweasel
07-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I had it done in 2000. Wyoming seems to destroy glasses and contacts (dry and dusty) Was 20/200 in both eyes. Now 20/20 for 8 years. Only problems were seeing halos around lights at night for 6 mo after surgery. Also, night vision is not as good as I would like. I never have to wear glasses anymore:nilly:.

patolucas962000
07-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey there, Rick sent me a message stating that you were asking about Lasik, so here I am. I had it done almost three years ago now and my vision now is great. I had to wear glasses all the time and it really bothered me with all the activities that I do so I checked it out and did it. I am glasses free. I could always see up close but not distance. They did tell me the same thing about possibly needing glasses for close up/reading but not at this point. There is an age thing associated with that and I can't remember what they said happens to the shape of the eyes as we age but it's not happening right now.

My night vision is better than when I had glasses and the one side effect that has diminished is floaters (some people experience these even without surgery - I never did though it was new to me), never experienced any halo's but they do inform you of the possible side effects that could be experienced.

After the procedure approx. two days, it is a little strange/blury but it's part of the healing after it's all done - it's great. I would recommend it if you are a candidate for the procedure. For a while after you feel like you have your glasses/contacts on and think you need to take them off until you realize that you can't because your vision is perfect now. You get used to it though, happily get used to!!

:)

zelatore
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
I had it done about 5 years ago. One thing I can say - don't believe the 'painless' BS. It's not like you're going to jump off the table screaming or anything, but painless it ain't! Of course, I'm way-sensative about my eyes. I freak out watching other people put in eye drops.

(BTW, before they did my group they did offer us all some sort of valium or something but the guys all shrugged it off. I recommend taking it!)

I was about 20/400 before, 20/20 after. They told me up front I'd still need to get reading glasses when I got older, perhaps late 40's/early 50's, but that's just a part of aging. I've been pretty happy with the results since. My night vision is less than perfect; I get pretty strong halos. That's typical; I had them with my contacts too.

Just a week ago I noticed my vision wasn't as good as I thought it should be and had my eyes checked. Now I'm developing a stigmatism, which I don't think can be corrected by lasik. Great....I'm down to 20/30 now and it's only going to get worse. Looks like I'll be getting those glasses closer to 40 than 50. :(

gcarter
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I've been really near sighted all my life but I just waited till I needed cataract surgery. Now I'm 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 in my left....the left eye has suffered from glaucoma, so no big deal.
I'm happy. Of course I have no near vision so reading glasses are the order of the day.
A word to those of you over 50....just wait a few years. You'll all eventually need cataract surgery, so get it corrected then. Afterwards, if you need a slight correction, then they can do lasic.
When they do cararact surgery, they can also correct astigmatism.

handfulz28
07-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Another one here, in Nov 2000 at 29yrs old. Other than the obvious risks, the only negative is there's no guarantee you'll see perfect forever. The other thing to ask about is whether they'll "tune" one eye for reading and one eye for distance. I never noticed it originally, but I'm starting to notice that more these days. If I had been asked, I would've gone for distance in both!

There's just no measuring the increase in quality of life. The correction is immediate, but blury at first. The biggest discomfort for me was the dialating drops, but those always give me a mean headache. Things might feel a little scratchy for a couple days, but really shouldn't be a big deal. I got dragged into work the next day to sit in front of a computer. That sucked.

Lasty, do NOT go with the lowest bidder. I went through the whole exam process at a few different places before I decided who to go with.

FISHIN SUCKS
07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
GIT R DONE Mike, get checked to see if you're a candidate and do it if possible! I did it 3 years ago and never looked back (weak pun intended). handfulz is right, dont go with a cheap doctor. I know of too many horror stories with the quickie doctors. You only get one set of eyes. I hated contacts and foggy/rain drop eyeglass lenses stink too:smash:!

BigGrizzly
07-16-2008, 05:40 PM
My wife had it done. she is fine. She had a thing don called monovision where one eye was done for close -computer stuff and the other for distance. After 3 years seams fine with no side effects. She experiences the haylo but did before with contacts. Me I wear contacts and or glasses to read small print. Every time I save up the money I get sick or something expensive comes up. So bous help me out and buy a lot of props, 40 or 50 may do it.:smash:

RedDog
07-16-2008, 06:15 PM
I had an RK (blade - not lazer) in '82. Was blind as a bat before. Up until 3 or 4 years ago I didn't need glasses. Now for reading they are a must. Distance - I probably could get away without them except that I am now conditioned to the need.

I would now consider Lasik but have been told I would still need reading glasses.

Trueser
07-16-2008, 10:31 PM
I went today and I'm not a candidate..

Thanks for the input...

RedDog
07-16-2008, 10:46 PM
I went today and I'm not a candidate..
Thanks for the input...
too old huh?
:fam::fam:

Trueser
07-16-2008, 11:03 PM
too old huh?
:fam::fam:

Nice. I'm sure you have me by a few years.

jl1962
07-17-2008, 07:05 AM
I had my eyes done almost 9 yrs ago at age 36. My correction was termed "moderate" at - 6.00. I had worn glasses everyday since 2nd grade.

Now, I am a wimp when it comes to pain and discomfort - I have never broken a bone, needed stitches or even had a cavity (like I said, a wimp!). On a scale of 1 - 10, the LASIK procedure was a 2. It wasn't painful, just a little weird. It was like watching a movie and having the bulb burn out - for about a minute - no video, just audio! And then - they screw in a new bulb and presto -you can see again. Also having your eyes propped open was a little too "Clockwork Orange" for me. Still - not at all painful and MUCH easier than a bad morning wrestling w/ contacts.

I got a ride home w/ a friend and was able to watch the ballgame that night in my favorite chair w/out glasses.......Drove myself to work the next day - never looked back. I am now about 20/15 in my dominant eye and about 20/25 in the other eye. They over-correct the dominant eye for distance and under-correct the other eye for up close.

If you are a "good candidate" and don't mind signing scary full disclosure/waiver forms - I would say do it! The funny thing was it took me years to get rid of my old glasses....I kept them in the regular spot on my nightstand for years even though I knew I would never need them again!

JL

slapshot11
07-20-2008, 04:40 PM
My wife had it done 4 years ago after 33 years of wearing glasses and contacts. She still says it's one of the best things she's ever done. She couldn't be any happer with the results. Worth every nickel we paid.