PDA

View Full Version : Ammeter vs volt gauge

Conquistador_del_mar
07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
On my 1971 18', there has always been a Stewart Warner ammeter. I am almost sure that I will be replacing it with a Stewart Warner volt gauge. Since there was never a fuse block or ground block in the boat, I thought I would add these behind the dash for safety reasons and to make the wiring less cluttered. I was going to attach the two large gauge wires which went to the ammeter to the fuse block. My understanding is that an ammeter has a shunt built into it so that most of the current goes through the shunt. Can anyone think of a reason why I should not attach these two wires together on the fuse block or should I only use one of them and attach the alternator wire directly to the positive post of the battery or starter back in the engine compartment? Doing this would keep the charging current from having to travel all the way up to the dash through the wires even though it has worked all these years. Give me your thoughts. Bill

gcarter
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Rewire the engine like what you'd find in the manual.
I've thought about putting an ammeter on the engine....might be useful information at times.

GeneD
07-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Volt meter gauge is the way to go.
Do like you want. Remove and install those big wires on the fuse block you want add.
It's an orange wire that is the 'sendor' wire to the volt meter/gauge.
You are doing yourself a favor by re-wiring.

BigGrizzly
07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
To answer your question the amp meter is just a gage an not a shunt. Just connect the wires together and run the volt meter from the ignition switch. As for which is better if you know what your looking at you will find you really need both. The volt meter for battery condition and the amp meter for charge rates and component draw. the volt meters now common on boats so I did change my Criterion when I did the new gages and dash this spring.

Forrest
07-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Here is my reason not to use a ammeter again! .:eek!:

Ed Donnelly
07-15-2008, 05:14 PM
My Criterion has both volt and amp. The Poodles is likely the same...Ed

Conquistador_del_mar
07-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Here is my reason not to use a ammeter again! .:eek!:

Ouch! It looks like quite a bit of current went through that ammeter. My guess is that the internal shunt that carries the bulk of the current let go and could not carry the load. I have seen that on a couple older boats before, and it is one of the main reasons I want to change my system. My 1971 has never had an electrical problem, but it was designed with almost no protection if there had been one. Bill

BigGrizzly
07-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Nothing lasts for ever except my love for my wife. I hope she is reading this:).

Pismo
07-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Both. Ammeters are the greatest and so are volt meters.