PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Placement

rtgogo
07-14-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm looking to add a subwoofer and additional speakers to my 22ZX.

Has anyone installed speakers in the side access holes of the interior walls? Not sure of the size, but was lookin at a pair of flush mount speakers thay wouldn't effect the seat movement.

I'd like to add a subwoofer to take some of the strain off the 6.5's. Anyone built a box for the floor of the cuddy or added a Bazooka tube? Any comments on which may be better from a sound perspective?

Anyone see a problem with mounting the amp on the back wall of the cuddy? Any other ideas for placement?

Is the storage under the back seat good for anything stereo related?

I cannot bring myself to cut holes........Any advice on my ideas?

Thanks!

kramsay1234
07-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Will be interesting to see if anyone has done anything clean. I am not one to cut holes either. I had a single free-air 10" Clarion Marine sub in my Scarab and I used the storage compartment under hte rear seat as a box. Worked ok. But the setup is much different in the 22ZX, so at this point I figured I would stick with stock. It does need some more jam though for sure.

kimjohnandmacy
07-14-2008, 11:11 PM
not super familiar with the layout of the 22, but if you could find an extarnal area, or even under a seat to fit this baby...i give it a two thumbs up. its powered and it thumps. my main speakers in our 275 Medalion are Rockford Fosgate ... great speakers, but they were complete when i fired up this baby.:shocking:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-byLY3JdHWnF/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=204MBTA81

Consider adding a second battery either on a swith or in parallel to ensure a start or extend the party. subs eat juice:rock:
Good Luck

-john

The Hedgehog
07-15-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm looking to add a subwoofer and additional speakers to my 22ZX.

Has anyone installed speakers in the side access holes of the interior walls? Not sure of the size, but was lookin at a pair of flush mount speakers thay wouldn't effect the seat movement.

I'd like to add a subwoofer to take some of the strain off the 6.5's. Anyone built a box for the floor of the cuddy or added a Bazooka tube? Any comments on which may be better from a sound perspective?

Anyone see a problem with mounting the amp on the back wall of the cuddy? Any other ideas for placement?

Is the storage under the back seat good for anything stereo related?

I cannot bring myself to cut holes........Any advice on my ideas?

Thanks!

I heard that Bazooks in the cuddy sound good. Never heard it myselft though

mrfixxall
07-15-2008, 09:09 AM
I heard that Bazooks in the cuddy sound good. Never heard it myselft though

the big bazookas 10'' and above are good but anything under that and they sound muddy!:)

I vote for a venter box with a 12'' diamond or infinty in the cabin area.. i also hate cutting holes. Also a good pair of 6x9 infinty kappa 3ways in the back seat will pump out some bass also:)

lildogcustoms
07-15-2008, 09:16 AM
A sub box in the cuddy typically will sound great- The cuddy itself will act as a sound chamber and really gives small sub big, big sound. I had a box built and installed from the engine compartment back under the rear bench seat. It took some work and fabrication but MAN O'MAN!!! I had to apply foam tape thru out the boat to knock out the rattles but I got major sound from a L5 10" Kicker-solo baric with modest power. Amp was mounted on back wall directly behind bench and in front of sub. Only regret is letting the installer talk me into a ported setup because at high volumes the ported enclosure allows enough air movement for the sub to bottom out.

rtgogo
07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
the big bazookas 10'' and above are good but anything under that and they sound muddy!:)

I vote for a venter box with a 12'' diamond or infinty in the cabin area.. i also hate cutting holes. Also a good pair of 6x9 infinty kappa 3ways in the back seat will pump out some bass also:)

So I can add 6x9's ina box under the rear seat? Didn't think this would do much since it's a small enclosed area? I was thinking about mounting my amp in there, but figured the lack of ventilation wouldn't be good for the components? Really appreciate the insight...thanks!

lildogcustoms
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I had the same concern with heat- I mounted 2 computer fans on each side of the amp and powered them off the remote wire going to the amp. When the head unit powers on the fans come on and keep a steady flow of air around the amp. Pre fans -I ran it a couple of times and it didn't get hot but that was in Spring and I was anticipating the peak summer heat so I went ahead and added. I robbed my fans off some old computers but you can get them at Radio Shack ($9-$20) or Crutchfield has some squirrel cage tube fans for amp cooling. Haven't had any issues so far.

Boiler56
07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
I mounted an amp on the inside wall of the cuddy and built a sub box that fits in the gap in the cuddy cabin. The box holds two 12 inch subs and sounds pretty good. I don't like to crank it up while I'm running because it causes alot of vibration that you can feel in the floor. It's great when you are rafted up though.

rtgogo
07-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Please post a photo. I'm thinkin of various options on the box and amp and would really like to see what you've done. Did you go straight across the floor to make room for two 12's? Can you (or kids) be in the cuddy while the stereo is playin at even low levels? That's my only real hesitation to the cuddy sub box since my son likes to ride in there with his friends while we're skippin across the lake. Don't think i have any other real options, but would like to hear your experience... Thanks!

rtgogo
07-18-2008, 08:55 PM
So no one has added speakers to those side wall access holes?

jdp_509
07-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I have added speakers there. Took out the the plastic and speakers fit good. Not sure if they are 6" or 6 1/2", Ill check when it get home. 3-4 more days. I put some 6x9 speakers down below the back seat. I am thinking on putting some 10" woofers there in the future. Pics coming soon.

rtgogo
07-31-2008, 07:38 PM
I'd like to see pictures of those 6x9 and access hole mounted speakers. Checkin out my boat today tryin to figure out a plan and a visual aid would really help.

Thanks

quick ZX
11-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Has anyone thought about installing a 10" free air sub on the portside gunwhale. If you're looking at the factory 6.5" speaker the space to the left of it looks big enough for one. Just like to know if anyone tried this, seems it would fit, plenty of space behind it. Don't wanna hack a big hole if it don't work out or sound good there.

The Hedgehog
11-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Has anyone thought about installing a 10" free air sub on the portside gunwhale. If you're looking at the factory 6.5" speaker the space to the left of it looks big enough for one. Just like to know if anyone tried this, seems it would fit, plenty of space behind it. Don't wanna hack a big hole if it don't work out or sound good there.

Those free airs work but they seem to hit half as hard at the bazookas that I also own. You will want two and should hit them with at LEAST 100 wats RMS per side. 150 would be better.

In the red
11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I am in the process of doing my 28ZX stereo also. I am fabrication a sealed box to slide in on the port side under the rear seat to house a 10" square kicker L5 solo baric also. There is just enough room there without disturbing the storage area. I am going to recess the sub with some white starboard on the front and paint the grill white so it looks clean. Also adding a pair of white JL Audio marine 7.7 components with separate tweeters in the front consoles and swapping out the sony 6.5's in the side compartments with JL's also. Relocating the head unit from the cabin topside on the side of the drivers console to make room for the amp on the cabin wall behind the drivers console. I'm tired of having to crawl into the cabin to make adjustments on the head unit. Will be sending 400 watts RMS to the sub and 200 watts RMS at 2 ohms to each pair of JL's. This system should rock but I may also add another pair of JL's in the center under the rear seat if I need more fill. I'll post some pics after I am through gathering the equipment and start installing. I have a friend with a 25 talon cat that has all JL's and it really rocks!!I know this doesnt help with the 22ZX but maybe others with a 28ZX can benefit.
:rock:

Dr. David Fleming
11-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Donzi did have a rear seat speaker option for all 22ZX with the speakers located in the sides of the rear seat gunwhale about a foot behind the access ports. Wiring for these speakers is built in each boat and you just need to drill the 5" holes locate the harness and hook up the speakers.

For sale on the internet about a year ago, I did see a 1997 22ZX from Texas - TX6697AD state license - equipped as follows. I had six 6" speakers mounted in a removable pannel installed in the front of the rear seat box. This boat also had flat screen TVs on the back of each forward seat and a similar flatscreen TV in the glovebox and in the peak of the cuddy. The player head was installed in the "C" instrument pannel just above the cuddy entrance.

LED row lights were installed in the bottom of the front seats, and over the interior of the cuddy entrance. Sound system appeared to be the premium Clairon system from 2005 catalogue.

Has anyone tried installing the Clarion amplifier in the stock system?

Does anyone know if there were any factory sound system options for the 22ZX besides the rear seat speakers?

rtgogo
11-17-2009, 06:17 AM
I know it would be better placement, but why not just use the access holes that are already cut and install flush-mount speakers? I never got around to it this year, but plan on re-working the setup this spring.

Dr. David Fleming
11-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I always wondered what kind of music to play as I was bounding from wave to wave in my donzi. Seems like the player could never hang with the disc.

Maybe a little Wagner - "Ah Brunhilda!" I can see it now "The spray droplets were falling down and the wife and I were smiling and the 502MAG MPI was booming and the...."

Go ahead and cut the holes, they put the speakers there for a reason, there is no room for anything in a 22ZX.

Ghost
11-17-2009, 09:54 AM
...Maybe a little Wagner - "Ah Brunhilda!" I can see it now "The spray droplets were falling down and the wife and I were smiling and the 502MAG MPI was booming and the...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq70F0fjJQw