PDA

View Full Version : Paiting my lower unit

brwn234
07-14-2008, 09:09 PM
I want to paint my lower before I start using it in the Ocean. I've done a search on some forums and found lots of guys spending alot of money. I cant afford to spend that much so I'm trying to do something a little more affordable. Any suggestions? Zinc primer? Is the Merc stuff anygood? Most people say no. Can I get decent stuff at WestMarine?

mrfixxall
07-14-2008, 09:35 PM
I want to paint my lower before I start using it in the Ocean. I've done a search on some forums and found lots of guys spending alot of money. I cant afford to spend that much so I'm trying to do something a little more affordable. Any suggestions? Zinc primer? Is the Merc stuff anygood? Most people say no. Can I get decent stuff at WestMarine?

Start with ppg bp90,will hang to anything.. then get yourself some urathane paint like imron will last..

MOP
07-14-2008, 09:59 PM
I have learned a thing or two about gear cases in salt, one of the most important is where every you bare the metal you must immediately wipe down and prime with Zinc Chromate. Aluminum oxidizes almost instantly, once it gets a cast on the surface it will not hold paint long. The job does not need to be super expensive though a lot of the guys will go that route for personal satisfaction. Factory spay cans will do a very good job as long as you follow directions and the prep is done well, 80% of any good paint job is in the prep. 20% in taking your time shooting allow proper dry time between coats, lightly abaiding the surface after each base coat dries with fine grade stainless steel wool. Using bronze or regular steel wool can result in corrosion issues, never touch the surface once cleaned. Best way is to remove the drive and hang it in an area that is clean dry and dust free, our shop always did 3+3 primer then paint. It will take a minimum of two days to do a decent job in dry warm conditions and another day to dry well enough to handle without worry.

Phil

roadtrip se
07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Um, well, not likely.

If you are going to go to the bother of pulling the drive off to do this as Phil recomends, prep the drive properly, and take it to a good body shop for a professional shooting.

In the past, I did two lowers that I had put nose cones on and it couldn't have cost me more than a $100 per side and this included a nice shiney clear coat over the black.

Why mess with a spray can, when it isn't going to stay on the drive for more than the first trip out to the water? Now, if you got the equipment
to do it, have at it!

BigGrizzly
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Now I use Plasticote spray cans of 500 deg engine paint and it is good to 80+ .The other thing I learned is pledge spray fill in all the cracks you can't see. When it is pulled use Salt away or terminator. Flush the motor well with it too. It works foe me. However my Criterion only spends a week a year in salt. our 16 has never seen fresh water except for 2 hours in 1967. The Corsican use to live in Savannah Georgia until 1990. that is my experience. Finally soap and water fixes most of these problems.

mrfixxall
07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Imron in a can?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um, well, not likely..

you can get any paint in a rattle can, my paint supply store can have it done:biggrin.:

Rootsy
07-16-2008, 06:57 AM
If it isn't catalyzed don't waste your time...