PDA

View Full Version : Great day in the LE... until...

Lenny
07-14-2008, 01:17 AM
:( Had Killer whales today, about 12, breaching, completely out of the water, in front of us, spy hopping, slapping their tails etc. About 50 feet off. I didn't go closer cuz there were too many and they are BIG. Got great pics of the LE (black and white boat) with the Whales in the background. (Black and white also ;) ) Should look great when posted.

Anyways, after about 150 miles (GPS) and 5 hours of flying around today with Gerry, (think Miami to Key West and back) we are headed home, get right in front (again, just like last time when I blew up the X-18) the Cottage and the "low oil" light comes on in the boat. I shut it down in a second, then paddled to our (yes our, how's that for location :) ) mooring buoy and tied up. Can't believe my luck sometimes, that could have happened 50 miles away today in Vancouver across the Strait but it didn't :D , anyways, after being tied up I opened up the hatch and YIKES. Oil EVERYWHERE. So much for the "like new" clean bilge :(

Anyways, it took about 6 different phone calls, and 5 hours and finally, (just got in, 11pm here) got the boat home happily on the trailer and washed it down and such. So in looking into the bilge, it is apparent that it happened on the port side, and down low, and I suspect, one of the hoses that feeds the remote filter assembly. I won't know more till I clean the mess up.

Your thoughts?

p.s. The motor was cool and happy and probably ran for 2 seconds once that light came on.

Jim, what oil should I put back in this thing? What did it always have? Looks like I just did an oil change the "messy" way.

:)

MOP
07-14-2008, 06:30 AM
If you caught it that quick you have a very good chance it will be fine.

Phil

BUIZILLA
07-14-2008, 06:34 AM
call me later, and we'll go over the details..... crazy busy day today

jl1962
07-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Wow - killer whales and Donzis - that's a little different :nilly: !!

Can't wait to see the pictures and glad you made it back in one piece. Come to think of it - this may give new meaning to making it back in "one piece"!

Hope the boat's OK.

JL

smbarcelow
07-14-2008, 06:53 AM
That story sounds strangely familiar...the part about the oil, not the killer whales. For what it's worth, mine may have run as long as 15-20 seconds at about 4 quarts low before I realized what was going on and shut her down (no idiot light.) We got her fired back up yesterday and everything sounds good. From the sounds of it, yours should be fine. Nice reaction time. :wink:

Carl C
07-14-2008, 07:15 AM
You may need to put in oil and fire it up on the hose to find the leak but it's probably a hose like you said. Good eye to catch the warning light in time. I think there should be a direct engine shut-down when oil pressure is lost........take the driver out of the loop. Would like to see those whale pics.

Donziweasel
07-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Oil warning is low oil in the pan, right? Not low oil pressure.

Carl C
07-14-2008, 07:47 AM
You may need to put in oil and fire it up on the hose to find the leak but it's probably a hose like you said. Good eye to catch the warning light in time. I think there should be a direct engine shut-down when oil pressure is lost........take the driver out of the loop. Would like to see those whale pics.

Oil warning is low oil in the pan, right? Not low oil pressure. John, it sounds like you are right after rereading the post. There should be a buzzer for loss of pressure. Everything should be OK. Just replace a hose and clean up a big nasty mess!:crossfing:

mjw930
07-14-2008, 07:54 AM

Unless he has some other sensors that boat motors don't typically have, low oil means low oil pressure.

MOP
07-14-2008, 08:12 AM

They go hand in hand no oil no pressure, you could have a full pan but lose pressure due to a failure. When the light comes on it still has minimal pressure I think about 10 psi, it is a warning that you hope to catch in time.

BUIZILLA
07-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Unless he has some other sensors that boat motors don't typically have, low oil means low oil pressure. on that specific 1987 version, this info is correct... there is also an alarm that will sound...

smbarcelow
07-14-2008, 08:25 AM
... there is also an alarm that will sound...

My alarm sounds a lot like collapsed lifters. :doh:

Donziweasel
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Carl, you were right, I was wrong. Sticker on my dash says "alarm will come on for 1. Low oil pressure 2. Hot engine temp 3. Drive oil too low. Damn thing is loud as hell. Comes on everytime I turn the ket before I fire the engine. Guess it needs to be if you are running thru hull and cruising.

Carl C
07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Hopefully no engine damage then. With EFI it would be easy enough to build in an automatic gentle engine shutdown. There could be an override for absolute emergencies if getting to shore were more important than the engine.

BigGrizzly
07-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Good luck, it sounds as if you cough it in time.

Kirbyvv
07-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Good catch Lenny.

BUIZILLA
07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Lenny, call me again...

Formula Jr
07-14-2008, 01:25 PM
When I first read the post Lenny, I was wondering how you could possibly "paddle" any where. :eek:

Then I checked the tide tables.

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sid/2008-07-12

Indeed, something Was smiling down on you and Gerry that Saturday!
:angel:

On the "Freaking Amazing Scale.." this would be a 9, out of a possible 10.

Lenny
07-14-2008, 04:40 PM
When I first read the post Lenny, I was wondering how you could possibly "paddle" any where. :eek:

Then I checked the tide tables.

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sid/2008-07-12

Bilge is now spotless. ;)

MAN, is that a TIGHT fit crawling into the port side with exhaust AND the remote filter. :eek: In fact, I kind of "freak out" like a stuck dog and have to relax in order to even get out. So, now I have to get some oil and a new filter on it, then I am going to spin it over with the ignition off till pressure arrives and hopefully see the "leak" or hose. Whatever. I can not imagine yet getting in and out to get tools and such. This is going to be a bit of a contortionist thing for sure. Am I am only 160 pounds :eek:

gcarter
07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
I am only 160 pounds :eek:
Well then it's obvious you are the right person to do this.:smash:

roadtrip se
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Teach you to sit on the dock with a beer in hand laughing at me in Grizz's bilge... :D :D
Hope it works out OK Lenny!

Does that mean at 235 on a real good day, I should stay away from the bilge in the Scorpion? Um, I think I know the answer...never mind.

mrfixxall
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
:
MAN, is that a TIGHT fit crawling into the port side with exhaust AND the remote filter. :eek: In fact, I kind of "freak out" like a stuck dog and have to relax in order to even get out. So, now I have to get some oil and a new filter on it, then I am going to spin it over with the ignition off till pressure arrives and hopefully see the "leak" or hose. Whatever. I can not imagine yet getting in and out to get tools and such. This is going to be a bit of a contortionist thing for sure. Am I am only 160 pounds :eek:

So you cleaned the bilge to get oily again:biggrin.:

Lenny
07-15-2008, 12:16 AM
:) now, why this happened is beyond me... :confused:
This cover over the block oil filter seemed tight, the 13/16 head, but after removing the oil filter (to get a new one tomorrow) it "gacked" a pile of oil out once again. It appeared at the flange of the rubber gasket for the bypass to remote the filter up top. Obviously this was a finger over the straw principle and it released a vacuum and let the hoses drain back down through the gasket to the original oil filter location and the loose housing. Interesting enough, the bolt was "tight" but I could "rock" the chinese hat/limpit aluminum casting on the gasket... :(
Anyways, new gasket tomorrow, new filter, new oil and ANOTHER clean up.
Like I said, MAN, is that tight down there. I also learned a few new words to try out on Deneen :D
Also, I have a new set of SSM bracketed manifolds/risers laying around and I think I will put those back on and the new style CORSA tips (bigger center hole like everyone has :D

Question, why the hell is this piece aluminum, when attached to the cast block and a VERY important component? Why is it NOT cast or bronze and invoke a similar metalurgy with comparable expansion rates ??? :confused:

Aluminum exhaust manifolds are bad enough on cast heads, but the OIL BYPASS housing :bonk:

gcarter
07-15-2008, 06:07 AM
:
So you cleaned the bilge to get oily again:biggrin.:
He obviously did.:wink::bonk:

chappy
07-15-2008, 06:48 AM

Hell, I'm barely 140, built like a friggin' lawn chair wearing a t-shirt, and I've been stuck in mine. Glad you found the problem.

BigGrizzly
07-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Chappy where the H were you when we needed you at Lake George? At 185 years ago I was down in the Corsican bilge relocating the oil filter for easy accessibility and got stuck got out and pulled the motor and finished the job. As for the Criterion, Since lake George I relocated all the wiring including the alternator stuff for ease and accessibility. Now starter, alternator and solenoid are new and I carry a wiring diagram with me. Now if only gas was cheaper.

oldog
07-15-2008, 09:43 AM
:) now, why this happened is beyond me... :confused:
This cover over the block oil filter seemed tight, the 13/16 head, but after removing the oil filter (to get a new one tomorrow) it "gacked" a pile of oil out once again. It appeared at the flange of the rubber gasket for the bypass to remote the filter up top. Obviously this was a finger over the straw principle and it released a vacuum and let the hoses drain back down through the gasket to the original oil filter location and the loose housing. Interesting enough, the bolt was "tight" but I could "rock" the chinese hat/limpit aluminum casting on the gasket... :(

Is the bolt too long so it bottoms out before the gasket is fully compressed. Try a washer.