PDA

View Full Version : Drive Height/setback measurements

CDMA
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
My regards to Mick. Met him at Lake George. Cool guy and a damn nice engine hatch.

It needs to be considered that Danny's prop shaft height is different than the Bravo boats essentially meaning he is running a shorty and his old engine only resulting in 59mph had more to do with it being a peanut port 454 which compares to almost no other 22's in this discussion. That being said, I am sure his and Todd's engines are different, unfortunately we can't quantify by how much, but we can numerically address this issue.

For all the 22 talk lets put some more intelligence behind it:

Take the boats to a flat concrete pad, make sure the keel is level (not the trailer) and measure your prop shaft height in reference to the keel (be sure the drive is neutral). I think it will answer a few questions. It would be interesting, and I think revealing, to compare multiple Bravo boats that appear to run different, TRS, and King Cobra Boats.

While we are all at it lets measure, with the drive neutral, the setback from the transom to the forward end of the prop hub. Drop a line (in plumb bob kind of form) from the aft point of the keel to the concrete pad, a line from the front of the hub to the pad, and measure the difference. I think that dimension is the reason the TRS boats seem to run so different, and also the reason the forthcoming Viper boat will be the best running (by that I mean handling, keeping speed aside) 22 we have ever seen. It also is why the Arneson 22 should be even better, but Kenny Lassard seems determined to prove me massively wrong with that....

CDMA