PDA

View Full Version : I'm Glad I Wasn't Towing The Boat.........

Carl C
07-13-2008, 07:17 AM
.....when this happened. I dropped a tie rod end friday on a rough stretch of road. I lost all control as the wheels turned in and the truck bounced across 2 lanes and I was able to stop it in the left turn lane. I had no indication that the tie rod was bad since I had shaken down the steering not too long ago. It's scary to think what might have happened if I'd been towing in heavy traffic like I do sometimes.:eek!:

hardcrab
07-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Carl, I've been there too. I had an upper ball joint (drivers side) break with out warning on an El Camino while cresting a narrow bridge and on coming traffic. The car immediatly pulled left across the other lane.
I would still like to shake the hand of the woman driving the T-Bird that JUST missed me !

chappy
07-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear you're ok, that's got to be a very scary experience when that rod let go.

BUIZILLA
07-13-2008, 08:50 AM
at one time Ford had a MANDATORY safety recall on tie rod ends... may have even been FED supported...

free fix at dealer

mrfixxall
07-13-2008, 10:45 AM
.....when this happened. I dropped a tie rod end friday on a rough stretch of road. I lost all control as the wheels turned in and the truck bounced across 2 lanes and I was able to stop it in the left turn lane. I had no indication that the tie rod was bad since I had shaken down the steering not too long ago. It's scary to think what might have happened if I'd been towing in heavy traffic like I do sometimes.:eek!:

Ive done many of them,,as a caution replace all of them! perferably moog front end parts..their the strongest and they also have a life time warrenty:)

Carl C
07-13-2008, 08:20 PM
at one time Ford had a MANDATORY safety recall on tie rod ends... may have even been FED supported...

free fix at dealer The towing would cost more than the parts. I'll check it out real good before I get the parts in the morning.

yeller
07-14-2008, 01:18 AM
Glad there was no accident Carl. :crossfing: