PDA

View Full Version : Chris Craft with Volvo...looking to buy

Donzi Vol
07-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Alright, well, I'M not looking to buy, but my brother found a Chris Craft today that caught his eye. It's at a marina that's 100+ miles from me, so I won't see it w/my own two eyes for a while. So he called me to ask for a little advice. Now he's always been around Merc setups, so he was very curious about seeing "Volvo" hanging off the back. I assured him that Volvo has been in this business for years and is a more than sufficient powerplant (not to mention the fact that Chris Craft has done this stuff for a year or two as well :wink:). Now the one concern of his that I felt valid to ask here is the consideration of the hours on the motor. It's a 1999 20 foot runabout with 360 hours on it. It's $11,000. Poor, fair, or excellent deal with 360 hours? All opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Lenny
07-12-2008, 10:03 PM
360 hours is not much, especially when it has occured in the last 8 as opposed to over 300 years... :)

I have beaten (literally) the living b' Jesus out of my 280 and I mean BRUTAL. It is 34 years old. Doesn't skip a beat. The outdrive I mean. The motor(s) are a different story :D

I would not worry about the Volvo thingy. They make a great product.

Donzi Vol
07-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Lenny. I felt pretty comfortable telling him that, but now I can back it up with an expert opinion. :yes:

LKSD
07-13-2008, 09:28 AM
If it was taken care of but used, then probably no big worries. They were put together quite well... :) Jamie

Ghost
07-13-2008, 11:47 PM
I'll skip the financial analysis and just offer some thoughts about the drivetrain. I just sold my Cobalt of the same vintage, also with a volvo outdrive (7.4 fuel-injected Duoprop). I was happy with the engine and extremely happy with the outdtive. Mine was freshwater cooled and had full professional service annually (drive pulled and everything). 360 hours seems very reasonable for that vintage (though hour meters can be turned off--if it is an EFI motor I think a mechanic with the right test equipment can verify the accuracy of the meter.) That said, I wouldn't worry much about the hours anyhow.

Volvo duoprops are pretty bulletproof, and perform extremely well. Highly recommend them. However, I would see what you can find out about the service history. Among lots of other things, aluminum outdrive housings with stainless bolts create a lot of galvanic action. The bolts on my outdrive were backed out every year, brushed free of oxidation (you get a nontrivial amount of it every year) and put back in with anti-seize. I would make sure that things aren't completely frozen up, which could happen if no one ever opened up the drive. My experience is that there is a lot less galvanic trouble with volvos than with Mercs. Others may chine in, but I see lots of Mercs that seem to eat themselves, and I never see Volvos look like that. (Mechanics I've talked to say the same thing--they like Volvo's outdrives much better and Merc's engines somewhat better.)

FWIW. Happy shopping.