PDA

View Full Version : Bow Light

rtgogo
07-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Is there much to replacing the bow light on a 22zzx? Mine is a tired and faded and I'd like to clean up the point with something polished. Haven't done much investigation except for looking at replacements, but can't imagine there is much to it. I tried to pop off the old cover to access the screws, but didn't wanna pull too hard and break it since I didn't have the new part.

rtgogo
07-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Bad pic, but all I have.....if you have Adobe Photoshop you can zoom in on the light. That faded white plastic needs help...........

Uncle Fester
07-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Don't have a close up pic of my new chrome one, but here is a funny thread I did a couple of years ago about this..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40001

rtgogo
07-14-2008, 05:41 PM
That did it...Pictures worth a 1000 words....I just about broke it the other day pulling up on it....didn't think about the twist.....Thanks!!!

Last Tango
12-28-2008, 05:42 PM
While out boating today, the bow light cover and lens blew off the bow and into the water. So which manufacturer makes that specific bow light? I played on the web for an hour and did not see it listed. I'm sure I just didn't try the absolute right manufacturer.
Same bow light lens and cover as in this thread.

Thanks for your help.

Donzi LG
12-28-2008, 06:36 PM
While out boating today, the bow light cover and lens blew off the bow and into the water. So which manufacturer makes that specific bow light? I played on the web for an hour and did not see it listed. I'm sure I just didn't try the absolute right manufacturer.
Same bow light lens and cover as in this thread.
Thanks for your help.

Here you go LT, I bought one and I believe these are the direct replacements, they are from Attwood. This link is for a white one.

John

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Combination-Sidelight-Deck-Mount-White-Attwood-5045WH1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el 1262QQcategoryZ50437QQihZ018QQitemZ280269004644

Conquistador_del_mar
12-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Is there much to replacing the bow light on a 22zzx? Mine is a tired and faded and I'd like to clean up the point with something polished. Haven't done much investigation except for looking at replacements, but can't imagine there is much to it. I tried to pop off the old cover to access the screws, but didn't wanna pull too hard and break it since I didn't have the new part.

If it is just the plastic cover that is faded (usually white turns yellow), you can spray dye the cover with a white spray dye turning it like new again. I have had great luck with vinyl/plastic spray dyes. Just thought I would mention it as an option. If you decide to try it, be sure to clean the plastic first with a dewax solvent and then spray it. It will totally cure in a few minutes. Bill

Last Tango
12-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks, LG!
Exactly what I was hoping for!

I ordered it and I will let you know how the process with with the seller, delivery, and the part itself. Not a bad price either considering West Marine wanted over $5 just for the light bulb (which I declined). Now I will have a new cover, lens, bulb (and a spare bulb since that current one still works fine.

Thank you for your quick and accurate response.

Trueser
12-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Will the POP up light fit on the front of the 28ZX?

rtgogo
12-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Great find LG...Thanks!
Crisp white cap with a new lense should really help....

I like the paint idea, may try some of my yellow RC spray on the old one to see how it looks with the deck stripe.

Trueser
12-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Let me have Matt measure the deck. 3 1/2 inch hole needed!

How do you think it will look? The problem is the lines always get stuck on the stock light. The other problem that someone pointed out the other day is that and the horn are both plastic.

Needs Bling.

The Hedgehog
12-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Let me have Matt measure the deck. 3 1/2 inch hole needed!

How do you think it will look? The problem is the lines always get stuck on the stock light. The other problem that someone pointed out the other day is that and the horn are both plastic.

Needs Bling.

Fast Trucker put a pop up on his 28ZX. You may want to see if he has the pics.

Last Tango
12-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Regarding the flip up style bow light, I could be wrong here so correct me if I am, but doesn't someone then have to crawl out to the pointy end and flip it up for use on a 28ZX? A 28ZXO would be easy with the open bow, but a closed bow ZX might be a scramble. I have avoided climbing over my windshield for anything, and I do realize the 28's have a hatch in the foredeck, but it would be more than a stretch to get to the bowlight.
Just me thinking with my fingers. I am also one of those guys that keeps the forward mooring line on the bow cleat the whole time I'm boating so no one has to go there when we dock.

BUIZILLA
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
if your boating at night or late afternoon just flip it up b4 you leave the dock..

Last Tango
12-31-2008, 08:28 PM
I wanted to follow up and tell you that everything went perfect on my order from First Choice Marine. The new light assembly arrived today (I ordered it Sunday night and used PayPal). It is exactly the correct part with exactly the same part number sticker. I removed the cover, lens, and bulb, and put them on the base still on the boat and they all fit perfectly.
First Choice Marine did an superior job of filling my order and shipping to me immediately, and with the absolutely correct replacement part.
I am very happy, and my boat looks complete again.

I want to add, that I may go ahead and use the new base instead of the original. Seems that the manufacturer identified the fact that the twist cover too easily twists off. There is now a little tooth in the lens and cog in the base, to resist the twist.

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions.

Donzi LG
12-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Sweet! Glad to hear it worked out smoothly. :thumbsup:

John