PDA

View Full Version : learning to drive fast

jimkmij
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
i am a new donzi owner. i have grown up with boats and am familiar with driving techniques for outboards (merc 200 on Jcraft, Action Marine).

My 22 classic with procharged 502 and blackhawk drive is taking some time to get used to...i usually take my wife and daughter out with me but am preparing to go out solo a few times to get used to the trim etc.

so far i have only managed to get 50-60 mph before the fear factor kicked in for my guests. This weekend i hope to raise the tabs and outdrive to increase the revs and speed.

any tips on how to safely increase speed? i was thinking of starting with tabs up and work with drive trim only to get used to the speed.

chappy
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
That's a pretty rare bird you've got there. Would love to see pics. I can't comment on driving one, never had the pleasure with a BH drive (let alone mated to a charged 502). Others have a lot of experience with them, hopefully they'll chime in. Welcome to the board, by the way.

glashole
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
like poodle says

you may have a blackhawk boat
should say on the information plate at the driver's leg

if it is a blackhawk boat you need to do some searches on this site for driving tips

where in ontario are you

jimkmij
07-13-2008, 12:53 PM
yes it's a blackhawk from 1995...all white. got it from a guy in michigan. There is a guy here in Toronto that has seen the boat at the marina and has a hot-rod of his own...he is very mechanically inclined and will be taking a ride this week...should be helpful. i tried the Lucas octane boost with 87 octane fuel and it wasn't impressive...i'll be taking some sunoco 94 with me next time i'm out...there is a Shell gold marina in burlington 30 minutes east...i'll take a trip.

DonCig
07-13-2008, 01:20 PM
yes it's a blackhawk from 1995...all white. got it from a guy in michigan. There is a guy here in Toronto that has seen the boat at the marina and has a hot-rod of his own...he is very mechanically inclined and will be taking a ride this week...should be helpful. i tried the Lucas octane boost with 87 octane fuel and it wasn't impressive...i'll be taking some sunoco 94 with me next time i'm out...there is a Shell gold marina in burlington 30 minutes east...i'll take a trip.
Congratulations; I always wanted to buy that boat from Tom in Michigan, but it was out of my price range at the time. The boat was a special build for Tom by Donzi. As I remeber the details, it has the relocated fuel tank, some extra hull stiffening, no windshield and very few chrome accessories. I had Randy Oak in Michigan check out the boat for me a few years ago. As I recall that boat is capable of about 93+ mph; so please take it slow and easy; without a windshield any thing over 80 mph tends to remove your sunglasses....ask me how I know! LOL

Don

ps: If you ever want to sell it I would like to have first option on buying it! I am sincere. Please email me your phone number and I will tell you the rest of the story behind this boat.

jimkmij
07-13-2008, 02:14 PM
i should clarify that the guy with the hot-rod is in his late fifties and has a vintage 17 foot boat with twin 200 outboard racing engines also vintage...is too loud to start near shore. he is a decent guy and works on most performance boats in the area - has come highly recommended. i do like taking experienced people for rides...best way to learn...i'm in the downtown toronto area if anyone is stopping by.

all i can say so far is that the trim is the whole game. with throttle down it reaches speeds in the high 50's...then with a few trim adjustments, the revs climb and everything gets a little squirrelly. it is my plan to take it slow.

i will be adding some corsa tips to try and quiet her down a bit. they do not cut into the horse-power from what i hear.

i'm at jimkushnir@gmail.com for more info on the boat. i understand that one previous driver was ejected from the boat? i wear the kill clip when i'm driving...don't want to have to swim too far if i'm pooped out (haha)

cutwater
07-13-2008, 04:22 PM
with throttle down it reaches speeds in the high 50's...then with a few trim adjustments, the revs climb and everything gets a little squirrelly. it is my plan to take it slow.

High 50's? I would think that even with the drive all the way in, that boat could do much more than that, unless the prop is cavitating.

RedDog
07-13-2008, 05:19 PM
You REALLY need to talk in person with some of the other Blackhawk owners before pushing it. Your hotrod guy may know fast boats but a Blackhawk is different.

Glashole, Gero, Ittlifli to name a few

Seems I heard a story about this boat and "ejected" may be an understatement....

Ed Donnelly
07-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Tim Morris and I are Downtown Toronto members.

Where do you launch??? Would loveto see it up close..Ed

Donziweasel
07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Nice boat.:) I like the 22 w/out a windshield, looks more retro.

roadtrip se
07-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Sorry to those of you that have had already heard or read this story... probably a couple of times before.

I was on the hunt for BH boat. I called on a teal boat and a lady answered. She sounded pretty shakey. We made arrangements to view the boat. When I got there, the lady was on the verge of tears. After awhile and she had settled down, she told me they found her fiance circling dead over the steering wheel. The windshield was bent and as far as the coroner could tell, the cause of death was pulmonary trauma caused by hitting the steering wheel.

I have experience running v-hull boats well over 100. Throw all of this experience out the window when it comes to the BH. It doesn't matter one bit.

All of this being said, the boat is an absolute blast when you accomplish learning to drive it. I am not sure I would ever want to run much more than 80, but to each their own. You have to respect this boat, PERIOD.

The advice to reach out to Glashole or Gero1 is great advice. Take it.

Welcome to the board, great looking boat, please bring it to a rally, but respect it so you can....

jimkmij
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
High 50's? I would think that even with the drive all the way in, that boat could do much more than that, unless the prop is cavitating.

cavitating...how to know?

jimkmij
07-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Tim Morris and I are Downtown Toronto members.

Where do you launch??? Would loveto see it up close..Ed

Lakefront Promenade in mississauga.

Dr. Dan
07-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Really cool boat... I would give yourself alot of time..and strongley suggest you personally contact actual Black Hawk Owners and Drivers - best to attend some Regional Events.

With the Rocker in the Hull of that Boat and a Procharger to boot - I would be investing in some latex underwear.... thats a handfull and a Bag of Chips.

I wouldn't let anyone in it with out Real Life Line Vests on... trust me on this... its a big deal.

Good Luck - Take Your Time...

Be Safe

Doc :smash:

cutwater
07-13-2008, 10:47 PM
cavitating...how to know?

Let me correct myself... I would bet this boat is probably set up well, I would say the props are not your problem. Also I don't know much about how the blackhawk or other dual-prop drives behave, but I would think with a procharged 502 you should be waaaayyy faster than high 50's even trimmed in. My Minx does better than that with a stock 350 and an old Cobra drive. DO contact other Blackhawk owners on the board. DO your research. DON'T be stubborn on this one. They are notorious for being squirrelly from what I have heard.

jimkmij
07-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Let me correct myself... I would bet this boat is probably set up well, I would say the props are not your problem. Also I don't know much about how the blackhawk or other dual-prop drives behave, but I would think with a procharged 502 you should be waaaayyy faster than high 50's even trimmed in. My Minx does better than that with a stock 350 and an old Cobra drive. DO contact other Blackhawk owners on the board. DO your research. DON'T be stubborn on this one. They are notorious for being squirrelly from what I have heard.

thanks...i signed up to the registry to hook up with other owners of blackhawks etc. the boat also has really big trim tabs (K-plane 380s) that are part the the equation. I am also taking down some 94 octane fuel that is definitely going to help.

thanks for your input!

BlownCrewCab
07-14-2008, 07:45 AM
If you ran a fast "Action Marine" and this boat is scary comared to that, somethings wrong. scariest ride of a lifetime in an action. (with a 2.4) Someone else driving, going into the wind at about 80 and it started to fly, the only way to get the air out from under it was to crank the wheel, so now it's on it's side spinning around backwards when it finally landed transom first.

glashole
07-14-2008, 08:06 AM
with that motor you should be running high octane but that has nothing to do with how your boat is performing

call me and i will go for a ride with you just to get the basics so you can start learning from there as opposed to just guessing and doing whatever you think might work

the only one that will benefit will be the next guy who buys your boat cheap because you are too frusterated with it :wink:

the trim is not where the problems are
those boats are driven with tabs

call me

613 394 3597

I am 1 1/2H from you and have a great spot to run
bring the boat down and we can spend a few hours on it getting the basics

afterwards you can buy the beer

good luck

Shea

BlownCrewCab
07-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Thats a Trap.......I Seen him drink in Ky Last month:smash:

The Hedgehog
07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Whatever you do, don't use 87 octane with Octane booster. The only real octane booster is either race gas or tolulene and it takes a bunch.

Properly set up with boost, your boat should be a rocket ship.

Could you post of a pic of the airhorn mode that was done to route the intake air for the blower away from the CMI's I am working on a few similar solutions right now.

jimkmij
07-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Whatever you do, don't use 87 octane with Octane booster. The only real octane booster is either race gas or tolulene and it takes a bunch.

Properly set up with boost, your boat should be a rocket ship.

Could you post of a pic of the airhorn mode that was done to route the intake air for the blower away from the CMI's I am working on a few similar solutions right now.

only pic i've got on this computer...good enough?

jimkmij
07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
LOL, I think the Tres Martin school would be cheaper :D :D :D

it's ok...i like beer too.

kramsay1234
07-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow what a treat to have this boat on my doorstep....

Jim - I am a York Mills and Yonge and would love to see this boat. I will not however be able to help you drive it. But very cool to have this boat in Toronto. Anytime you are taking it out I would like to know about it.

Welcome and be careful. You sound like you really do respect this boat given the speeds you have been at thus far and the fact that you are on here asking the right questions.

cutwater
07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
thanks...i signed up to the registry to hook up with other owners of blackhawks etc. the boat also has really big trim tabs (K-plane 380s) that are part the the equation. I am also taking down some 94 octane fuel that is definitely going to help.

thanks for your input!

Oh yeah... and I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing this boat in action once you get it dialed in. You are going to have to post some videos later! Good luck & enjoy.

BigGrizzly
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Ok let the old guy speak. First NO 87 octane- 93 or better. Gashole drinks beer but is not stupid! He does know how to drive the boat! Save your self a LOT of trouble and visit him asap. he will tell you in one outing what it will take a hole devoted season. I have driven them but am no where as good as Gero and Gashole. Once you learn the boat you will love it so the owners say. The ventilation is normal especially with the silent choice on. Btw it is almost impossible to drive that boat on the trailer without the silent choice on. Welcome to the board

jimkmij
07-14-2008, 03:55 PM
i have a tentative date to visit Glashole next week for blackhawk schooling. also talked to ted a speedmaster as per glashole advice...he'll be taking the boat in the fall to add some muffler tips (currently straight pipes) and a switch that combines the two trims on one for the quick trim down.

thanks all for the comments...this is a great site.

i'll add some pics after the weekend.

The Hedgehog
07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
only pic i've got on this computer...good enough?

Perfect thanks.

I am looking to do it with silicone hose but wanted to make sure that it was close before I ordered it.

Is that a M-1 Procharger?

BTW, congrads on the boat. That is very cool!

glashole
07-15-2008, 07:45 AM
i have a tentative date to visit Glashole next week for blackhawk schooling. also talked to ted a speedmaster as per glashole advice...he'll be taking the boat in the fall to add some muffler tips (currently straight pipes) and a switch that combines the two trims on one for the quick trim down.

thanks all for the comments...this is a great site.

i'll add some pics after the weekend.

looking forward to it

Ted @ speedmaster marine will get you straight- he knows his shat when it comes to merc's, He has done a pile of work to mine to get it running the way it is :nilly:

jimkmij
07-19-2008, 02:37 PM
what a difference a few tips makes! After some basics from Glashole, we are now cruising safely well over 60mph. the speedo was bouncing around and at times was peaking 65-70. I will need some better eye wear to go much faster.

The best tip so far has been to get the trim tabs connected with one button for convenience. The big lakes are never completely smooth and the chance of trim errors at 70+ too risky...a must do this winter.

any advice on some kind of goggle? something strapped to the head where wind can't get in?

BigGrizzly
07-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I am glad you got t5he tips. Like I said he cant each you things it would take a year to learn. As for goggles you don't need them, a a good or decent pair of sun glasses with the little lanyards attached. My personal favorites are Maui Jims or Serengeti. I do have another good pair of something I got in Wal-Marts in the motorcycle area for $21 that are aluminum and have a little rubber cushion around the lens. I also use anything that is polarized if I forget mine.

jimkmij
07-19-2008, 06:47 PM
motorcycle glasses are a good idea. i'll check out seadoo types of glasses as well. i have the Maui Jims and have almost lost them a few times...$250 to the bottom of the lake.

maybe even ski goggles...?

jimkmij
07-19-2008, 06:53 PM
some of these look good...the last pair made me laugh

http://www.devamarine.co.uk/oakley.html

jimkmij
07-19-2008, 06:56 PM
more:

http://www.kroop.com/

RedDog
07-19-2008, 07:21 PM
when you start talking about better eye wear you are obviously approaching the speeds a Blackhawk is capable of.

Good work and practice / stay safe

BlownCrewCab
07-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Both tabs on one button is a good Idea, Trim Tab indicators is a Better Idea. I Like to know exactly where my tabs are. Not just trying to remember "are they down? How long did I hold the button" with indicators you'll know AND LEARN where the sweet spot is for the tabs at different speeds. I Like stainless Marines "No Slack" indicators, if the tab moves so does the indicator. others can move up/down 1/2" before the indicator moves.

glashole
08-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Jim

you had a chance to get back out in that boat of yours yet?

:)

jimkmij
08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
glashole...thanks for the trip...had a lot of fun...the drive back to toronto was through the most amazing lighteneing and heavy rain i have ever seen.

anyway, you can drive your boat very well...what was most impressive was the manner you got your boat back on the trailer...single handedly.

i have used your tips and they work well. The boat will most likely be heading to teds sooner rather than later to look at a few issues...i want to take i to georgian bay and he is on the way.

i'll keep you posted on the progress...how was A-Bay?

glashole
08-06-2008, 11:04 AM
quiet

you need to come to the muskokas

jimkmij
08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
i'll see how things go at Ted's...i'll be in parry sound over labour day if he's done by then. when was the muskoka thing?

glashole
08-06-2008, 02:03 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52503&highlight=muskoka

RedDog
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
It you are still in need of eyeware, this model cuts all of the wind :nilly::nilly::nilly:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37728&stc=1&d=1218049526

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37729&stc=1&d=1218049519

gold-n-rod
08-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I bought the Barracuda's because I could get them with perscription lenses!!!

http://www.sporteyes.com/barrcpp.htm#B200

The Hedgehog
08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
It you are still in need of eyeware, this model cuts all of the wind :nilly::nilly::nilly:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37728&stc=1&d=1218049526
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37729&stc=1&d=1218049519

Those are hot! Is that what McLamb wears to pick up women?

jimkmij
08-06-2008, 03:44 PM
i ended up with a pair of ATV goggles...they have a strap and vents with UV lenses...could even pass as a pair of sun-glasses.

http://www.maddoggear.com/dyn_prod.php?p=STRA023

jimkmij
08-06-2008, 03:49 PM
boat may not be ready for that weekend...ted will be checking into a heating issue. while it is there i'll see about through hull exhaust and the trim button.

will be nice to get it out of the water to clean the hull...nasty. was pure white when i dropped it in a few months back.

zelatore
08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
will be nice to get it out of the water to clean the hull...nasty. was pure white when i dropped it in a few months back.

Are you saying you left an unpainted hull in the water for a few months?!:eek!::eek!::eek!:

Duh, yeah! I bet it looks really nasty by now! Even in fresh water you can't leave an upainted bottom sitting in the water like that and not expect it to collect a ton of slime/gowth! Try it in salt water and you'd have an entire salad bar by now!

Not trying to bust your balls if you're new to boating and just didn't know, or perhaps I mis-read your statement and you didn't leave it in the water for months on end. But if you are leaving it in the water, you'll have to bottom paint it (a shame on a boat like that!) or better yet get a lift! That way you don't have to worry about growth or corrosion issues!

Ghost
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
i ended up with a pair of ATV goggles...they have a strap and vents with UV lenses...could even pass as a pair of sun-glasses.

Now THESE would be money...

http://www.restorationhardware.com/rh/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod120019&navAction=jump&navCount=6

rtgogo
08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
While I can appreciate the chrome....gotta say....please take em of before you dock to avoid the dork factor....I mainly say that cuz theres not too may Donzi's on my lake......gotta represent.

that said..do what ya need to do to achieve the speed....all is good in Donziland.....

jimkmij
08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Are you saying you left an unpainted hull in the water for a few months?!:eek!::eek!::eek!:

Duh, yeah! I bet it looks really nasty by now! Even in fresh water you can't leave an upainted bottom sitting in the water like that and not expect it to collect a ton of slime/gowth! Try it in salt water and you'd have an entire salad bar by now!

Not trying to bust your balls if you're new to boating and just didn't know, or perhaps I mis-read your statement and you didn't leave it in the water for months on end. But if you are leaving it in the water, you'll have to bottom paint it (a shame on a boat like that!) or better yet get a lift! That way you don't have to worry about growth or corrosion issues!

boat has been painted...not to worry...a little power wash and we should be ok.