PDA

View Full Version : Engine Flushing

jvcobra
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
I use my 22 Classic in salt water and was wondering if there was an easy way to flush the engine/drive out. The boat is stored on a lift so it's hard to get the earmuffs on it and I would have to start it up to pump water to the engine.

Is there a way I can flush without having to run the motor. I should mention it's a king cobra drive so I don't have an engine driven raw water pump. There is a hose with a tee on it in the engine bay that runs to the water attachment in the transom of the boat but it doesn't go anywhere. Can I just tie in somewhere near the crossover tubes with a ball valve to prevent back flow. Would I still need to run the engine to get a flush?

Thanks for the help.

Joe

TXDONZI
07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
If I do salt water on Saturday I do water Sunday. Other wise I flush 15 - 20 minutes after the discharger water gets hot. I hav never thought about doing it without running the engine...but I have a Merc. unit.

MOP
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I have seen a few flush without starting, problem is the Tstat is more then likely closed so they get no flow through the block. To get a reasonably good flush without starting you must T the main circ pump hose so the water goes in through the front, to make the water flow at any rate you need to drill a couple of 1/4" in the Tstat. The holes in the Tstat will make warm up time about 10 minutes longer, also flush time is about 25-30 minutes due to flow rate. Now I will tell you what a friend of mine does, he has a set of muffs clamped to a broom stick, he wiggles the muffs onto the drive then ties the handle/hose off to the stern tow eye. He turns on the hose jumps in the boat and does his flush.

Phil

jvcobra
07-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm not running a thermostat with the crossover tubes, just an orifice plate so plenty of water should flow through. I like the broom stick method, shouldn't be too hard when it's sitting on the lift. If all else fails maybe I'll give that a shot.

MOP
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm not running a thermostat with the crossover tubes, just an orifice plate so plenty of water should flow through. I like the broom stick method, shouldn't be too hard when it's sitting on the lift. If all else fails maybe I'll give that a shot.

A hint nip about 1/4" off the front of one muff it will help you to get it to slide on. It is hard to get the tight lips to part to slide on, I remembered that after I posted.

Barry Eller
07-10-2008, 07:33 AM
A hint nip about 1/4" off the front of one muff it will help you to get it to slide on. It is hard to get the tight lips to part to slide on, I remembered that after I posted.

Hard to get the tight lips to part?

Oh I could run with this.:wink:

mjw930
07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
There has been a lot of old press about the MST Guardian systems and in fact, the original company went out of business a couple years back BUT, they designed a system to do exactly what you are looking for.

I think these guys have a similar, if not the same, product: http://www.superflushsales.com/index.html

It might be worth a look.