PDA

View Full Version : Top Boating States-Michigan Down To #4

Carl C
07-09-2008, 09:04 AM
This is from the July '08 BoatU.S. mag. I used to be proud of being from the #1 boating state which Michigan was for a lot of years. Now we have seen a huge drop in number of registered boats. The latest stats are from '06 which must be the last year they are available. Michigan was #1 in '80, '90 and 2000 with over a million boats. Now we are down big time.:(:(

chappy
07-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Everyone's moving 'cause they heard you're getting a shortie.:biggrin.:

Carl C
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Everyone's moving 'cause they heard you're getting a shortie.:biggrin.: I might have scared a few people off the lakes:wink:. I finally got the attachment to load. Number 4, that hurts...:doh:

zelatore
07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
We're Number 2! We're Number 2! :hyper:

Actually, I don't see how anybody could hope to top Florida. Even though they are just a 'little' state.

I'm assuming this includes documented vessels as well as state-registered ones?

Last Tango
07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Population shift from North (previously industrailized) to South (new industry, more retirees, more people saying goodbye to snow). First the Post WWI generation retired here, and now the Post WWII Baby Boomers coming in as they retire or find better things to do than shovel snow all winter. Taxes probably prevent California from being #1. Lots of California tags on the tow vehicles at Lake Havasu, but AZ registration on the boat. Hmmmm.
Florida has 24/7/365 boating season. And easy access to fishing and island paradise's. If you live in Florida and don't own a boat, then you are missing the biggest part of the recreational opportunities here.

Note that Madpoodle, Cuda, and Mr. X collectively account for approximately 22% of all Florida boat registrations.

mrfixxall
07-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey at leaste my state stays more consistent ! 9 and 10 :)