PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Shift Cable

RickR
09-23-2002, 09:12 PM
My Bravo shift cable (linkage/drive) needs to be replaced. Does anyone have any tech tips to make the job go easier????
Thanks!!!

MOP
09-25-2002, 07:36 AM
Alot comes into play, tight bilge, salt water if you boat in it ETC. Its not real hard just a Pain, If its been awhile I would change out the whole thing not just the inner. One thing that helps a bunch is to pull a strong cord through when you pull out the old one. This will make going back easier and route the cable the same way it came out. It is without doubt a two man job, some will say they did it by them selves they are Masochist's.

RickR
09-25-2002, 05:12 PM
Thanks MOP! Outer failed because a few years ago I shifted Bravo into gear without engine running and had to force it back into neutral. At least it lasted a few years. Never had that problem with the King Cobra (different shift mechanism)

My kit says if the hole is too small in the gimbal housing it needs to be drilled out with a special Merc tool (drill bit will not work)????
Tear down tommorrow and I'll see what I'm up against :rolleyes:

MOP
09-26-2002, 07:14 AM
Sorry I can't answer that till after I check with Our Merc guy, you will more than likey be into it by then. I can only guess that it may be that it is a shouldered bit, if so that can be done carefully with a little measuring. If you do have to drill try your best to goop it up to stop any possible corrosion.

boldts
09-28-2002, 09:18 AM
Rick, MOP, I had an instance at the dock where my engine would not start due to the shifter linkage. I nomally push the shift button in for nuetral throttle and give her a little fuel before starting. (Carb MAG 454) This time it went into gear rather than nuetral and then wouldn't come out of gear. After a few minutes of wiggling and basically freaking out, I was able to get the nuetral button to come back out and then go about my normal process of starting the engine. Everything worked fine the rest of the day.

Is this a problem in the cable or the shifter itself? Donzi is scheduled for winterazation Oct. 10 unless we get some warm weather coming through the OH. I've talked to the shop and since this is my first Merc boat, I asked them to check everything on the boat. Thanks for any info you all can offer.

MOP
09-28-2002, 11:53 AM
When that happens, pull the coil wire, activate the starter by jumping the solinoid at the same time pull it out of gear as the engine turns this usualy works. If not put the coil wire back in and let it start then it will come out of gear no sweat. You should go over the adjustments there is a good chance you streched things a bit. Anytime you stall a Merc or OMC bottom shifter IE: lowers with shift interupters, if you try to yank them out to many times you are bound to screw them up.

RickR
09-28-2002, 02:02 PM
bolts
I've also had my neutral button stick on the Merc 3000 remote control. Removed neutral button and handle, cleaned, relubed and replaced. It's been working like a champ since then. :D

MOP
Thanks for the help! Gimball hole was correct size. I'm back in business and ready to go to the lake :D

MOP
10-01-2002, 08:03 AM
Glad to hear all went well, thats one thing that will not bother you for awhile. Happy Donzying!