PDA

View Full Version : Wheres to go for NEW twin 350 MAGS??

FISHIN SUCKS
07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy new twin 350 mags (mercruiser)? This may be an insurance deal so I dont know for sure if I can get New or have to settle for remans. I am replacing these 2002 motors. Any suggestions is much appreciated. thanx,

tom

mrfixxall
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM
ive had great luck with gm performance engines..the main one i use alot in boats is the 350 ho long block,,cant beat it for 2400.00..

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=350HO&engine=350%20HO&sku=12499711&engCat=sb

The Hedgehog
07-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I went with a 383 Mag in the X-18. Ok, so its a reman but so far it has worked as advertised. More bang than the 350 as well

Pm me if you want to know the details

FISHIN SUCKS
07-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanx MrF and Hedge. After talking to Byron, I guess they call it a bobtail for what I need. I cant use any of the intake or injectors or anything, maybe the water jackets. The factory fire extinguisher discharged in both of the motors:(. The adjuster is looking at it tomorrow or thursday at the latest. As usual, your input is much appreciated:yes:. thanx, tom

mrfixxall
07-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Fountd thease on oso:)

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.com/mercury_350_longblocks-o8094-en.html

glashole
07-09-2008, 06:36 AM
that sucks buddy

will 454 mags fit in there?............

BUIZILLA
07-09-2008, 07:19 AM
I think BAM had bolt in **new** 6.2's in stock

for sure they had reman 383's in stock....

olredalert
07-09-2008, 07:46 AM
-----Try the Harbormaster!!!........Bill S

ITTLFLI
07-09-2008, 07:58 AM
I vote for 400hp Scorpion..........see attached :eek: :smash:

The Hedgehog
07-09-2008, 07:59 AM
That is no fun. I almost did not want to ask.

The good news is that the bobtails drop in quick. The 383 mag's are cheaper, pack a good bit more bunch and still carry a one year warranty.

Now the 383 Scorpion, now that's some good fun.

roadtrip se
07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
I spent quite a bit of time talking to the Merc guys at the Miami show about this package. Very stout stuff.

As for the insurance gig, remember you could always take the settlement money, add a little more, and bada boom, bada bing, I'm chasing Tom at AOTH next year... second thought, stick with the 350's.

Good luck.

Last Real Texan
07-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Still trying to figure this one out, what exactly happened to cause the Halon system to fire off and kill the motors? I have never heard of this happening to any one else, can you give some details of how it went down?
Keep in mind that with this being an insurance deal they will most likely see what goes back in the boat, Keep it stock or at least the 383's oh and get ready for a bump in your insurance rates too boot. Did you not just recently get this boat? Bummer man. Good luck with it.

Tex

FISHIN SUCKS
07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanx Everyone! The Scorpions definitely look cool, but first things first.

Okay, just to clarify, this is an ABC system, not Halon. So the story I have from my mechanics (I'm in San Diego now, boat in Indiana, so this is all phone dialogue) is that a backfire happened in one of the motors when I was getting up on place (I heard it), this triggered the fire suppression system at the rear of the motors and blew the ABC dust all over the distibutor caps and everything back there, which was also sucked in through the intakes (through the flame arrestors, into the throttle bodies), and killed the motors. When I went to restart the motors (took forever), Port was rough as all get out and Starboard was running about maybe 85% (give or take). Just got the boat about 2 months ago and, yes, this sucks! The heck of it is, this boat ran like a champ. Hopefully, Paul Harvey's 'rest of the story' will be have a good ending here.

Barry Eller
07-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Sorry for your problem Tom. Why are the repair people saying you need new engines? I may be wrong here, but I would think the dust could be flushed out of everything. I don't see how the dust could get into the injectors. Fuel is the only thing that goes into the injectors, no air, therefore no dust. Dust could affect a few of the sensors, clog up the breathers, but I just don't see how it could damage the engines. The engines were hard to start because of the restricted air breathers.

Good luck!

Barry

BUIZILLA
07-10-2008, 07:24 AM
that ABC dust can be VERY acidic..... :hangum:

Barry Eller
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
that ABC dust can be VERY acidic..... :hangum:

As in bearing damage?

Time is of the essence to flush the engines.

The Hedgehog
07-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Enough discussing the details of what happened. The engines are probably screwed.

Let's get back to helping Fishin Sucks spend some money. I want to spend someone else's for a while:hangum:

ITTLFLI
07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Enough discussing the details of what happened. The engines are probably screwed.
Let's get back to helping Fishin Sucks spend some money. I want to spend someone else's for a while:hangum:

I agree!!

roadtrip se
07-10-2008, 09:15 AM
The new Scorps come with a real shiney, CMI option too.
Just what the doctor ordered for the pimp daddy, and the new king of bling, Fishin' Sucks...

As for the insurance ding, Trueser can talk to you about that. It can't be too bad for the return-per-mile $$$$$$$$$$$$$...:kingme::angryfire::yippie:

smokediver
07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
those 383 scorps are for inboards ... am i missing something ? for a heck of a lot less you can get the same or more power with high quality parts .. especially if you can slavage the alt , ps pump , brackets , etc...

FISHIN SUCKS
07-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanx for the responses guys! I appreciate Bill and Byron for wanting to move on here, cause I gotta tell ya, I am confused. My confusion is: some are telling me that ABC is not corrosive and will not hurt the motors and my mechanics that I have gone to for years and others on this thread are saying that it is. I am really hoping the adjuster (coming to see the boat at 10:00 am est tomorrow) sees it the latter viewpoint. I just want to get back on the water!

Hey Todd, my Mr. T starter kit and this boat kinda make me a small time pimp, right????

Thanx again everyone, hopefully i will put inquiring minds to rest :crossfing::crossfing::crossfing:tomorrow morning with something favorable. we'll see

ITTLFLI
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
those 383 scorps are for inboards ... am i missing something ? for a heck of a lot less you can get the same or more power with high quality parts .. especially if you can slavage the alt , ps pump , brackets , etc...

That is what they say in the ad but why not use them in a 28? I never ever did 6k rpm in my malibu's!!

I belive the scorpion came out first as an "inboard engine" then was somehow "marketed" to the HP crowd....really what was the difference? Version one was the "black scorpion" 350 based then the "hp blue" one was the 383 BUT truely how different are they? I would bet they would make tom's boat fly!!

smokediver
07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
it is corrosive when there is moisture ...

joseph m. hahnl
07-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanx for the responses guys! I appreciate Bill and Byron for wanting to move on here, cause I gotta tell ya, I am confused. My confusion is: some are telling me that ABC is not corrosive and will not hurt the motors and my mechanics that I have gone to for years and others on this thread are saying that it is. I am really hoping the adjuster (coming to see the boat at 10:00 am est tomorrow) sees it the latter viewpoint. I just want to get back on the water!

Hey Todd, my Mr. T starter kit and this boat kinda make me a small time pimp, right????

Thanx again everyone, hopefully i will put inquiring minds to rest :crossfing::crossfing::crossfing:tomorrow morning with something favorable. we'll see

If Insurance picks up the Tab. Why bother using them. You could always sell them for short coin. Probably benefit you and some one else who could really use the parts. Zero hour motors over potential time bombs.

Good luck with your insurance.

PS by selling the other motors you can offset the new premium on your insurance cost:eek:.

You don't really think they pay ?:shocking: "OH YES" they will get it back from you:doh:.:garfield::garfield::garfield::garfield:

harbormaster
07-13-2008, 06:49 AM
I have 2 brand new Merc 350 mags set up for bravo for 5250 each.
call me at 713-898-0605

The Hedgehog
07-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I have 2 brand new Merc 350 mags set up for bravo for 5250 each.
call me at 713-898-0605

That is a great deal